Pan Africanism : What do African "Americans" need to do to come to rise above our common problems

Discussion in 'Black History - Culture - Panafricanism' started by Sekhemu, Feb 10, 2005.

1. Sekhemu

Sekhemu Well-Known Member MEMBER

priest
    Ratings:
    +1,064
    Once again I have my own Ideas, but I am interested in hearing from other black americans

2. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,733
    stop venting on each other and turn our collective anger onto the white man.

3. BLKWriter

BLKWriter Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    MAKE being educated, a cool thing for black kids to do. Education is the foundation for growth.

R.I.P Devon Harris.... He was the 13 year old boy who was shot by the LAPD on Sunday. He was not the driver of the car but the passenger. They say he backed the car into them.

-B

4. kente417mojo

kente417mojo Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +34
    God, I hate cops with a passion. They always use a B/S excuse. Those cops that beat a dude out her after a high speed chase got off the other day. Whatever bad fortune comes upon a cop, I have no choice but to laugh because they are due.

Anyways, I think that we need to stop trying to walk in the footsteps of white folks. We try to imitate them too much. We try and adopt their ideas and values and ways of life, when we need to have our own identity. On that note, we need to clean up our image of ourselves. The way we think of ourselves and the way we look around the world. I think we're starting to believe that we are inferior to white people and other races. Like I said before, we lack confidence. We have to take steps to make our race respectable on all levels. Right now, we are only respected in certain areas of life.......Athletics, music, etc. I think that fact discourages black youths from trying in other areas in life as a whole, thus we don't have enough of an impact to demand respect from anyone including ourselves.

5. mystic1974

mystic1974 Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    wake up and read as many conscious books as possible.

6. indya

indya Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +23
    We can also try to stop insulting each other for thinking differently. We are individuals with different perspectives.

It doesn't help when in the inner city schools doing well is "acting white" this is a crabs in a barrel way of thinking. Crabs will pull each other back into the barrel to try to get out, they never succeed.

7. Sekhemu

Sekhemu Well-Known Member MEMBER

priest
    Ratings:
    +1,064
    Notice I said common problems, first you have to agree on what the common problem is and what the root causes are. There is the crucial issue of black people still selling out and trying to be the friends of white folks instead of looking at the lessons of those who came before us, namely our ancestors.

Sadly I must admit that many of our people will overstand what it takes to heal the wounds inflicted by 400 years of tyranny and Oppression. They cannot get over the psychological hold left in place by the slave master. Once this implant is broken then we can begin the process.

8. PurpleMoons

PurpleMoons Administrator STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,102
    I think we need to target the children. We all know that once we get older a lot of us become set in our ways of thinking. The younger ones are at an impressionable age. They seem to be more open to changes.

We could form groups of conscious Brothers and Sisters in our communities. Then hit the streets like the Jahovah witnesses did. Knocking on doors and talking with our young people on the corners. Inviting them to sign up for different sports, but not without dropping our message before every game.

The thing is, finding many like minds in your community who are willing to come out of their safe havens and volunteer some time. Everyone seems so busy these days. They want to see the same changes made in the community, but aren't willing to sacrifice the extra time.

9. anAfrican

anAfrican Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    The Meek !Shall! Inherit the Earth.
    Ratings:
    +745
    "impressionable" is an accurate term. however, like the young of all specie, our children are starting on a life long process of "WTF is ...???". the early educational system is supposed to impart the skills to use the tools given (eyes, ears, brain, etc.) to gather information in order to make useful decisions.

unfortunately, if, for instance, excitement naturally expressed as a result of child learning something new ("ohh! i get it!! that's neat!") is seen as a behavioral issue ("[black] children should behave at all times as determined by years of older, wiser observation" [profile]), eventually that child is going to have a diminished interest in learning in that invironment (like me, otherwise, i could finish this danged thought stream!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

american Africans need, i think, to develop the infrastructure to provide the stuff that we are chronically shorted on. way up at the top of the list is defining exactly what WE need in an educational system and building it! from the ground up, with zero outside "professional" consultation. (it's that "consultation" that keeps us building stuff (and/or attempting to build stuff) "like white people".)

10. PurpleMoons

PurpleMoons Administrator STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,102
    I think I understand what you are saying Brother African! The thing is, I know that children learn more at home then in any school system. The school system only reinforces what a child has learned at home.

What I've noticed, is that children follow each other most of the time. Meaning, that they usually act out in the behaviour of an older child that they find interesting. If we could shape the attitudes of the older children, we could change the attitudes of the younger ones coming up.

Not all children will accept an enviroment that is best for them, but we don't need them all, although we would like to have them. We would have to adjust a system that attracts their interest as well as ours. You know how today chlidren loves to dance and perform. We can have talent shows where they can show off their special gifts. If we can get some conscouis teens who want to see change, Its a done deal. They can gather the younger and teach them how to put situations into perspective and still have fun too.

We could establish the greatest education system for our young, but if we don't combine their interest as well, they are bound to stray to places where that interest can be obtain.