Black People : What did you enjoy about your Thanksgiving?

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by rapunzal24, Nov 25, 2011.

1. rapunzal24

rapunzal24 Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,022
    Whether we celebrate it or not, we all know that most people have the day off and we end up getting together. What was your favorite moment or moments form Thanksgiving? Mine was the fact that I cooked for my mom, my dad, dad the sequel(yes I am blessed because my dad and stepdad get along very well), both brothers, and both of their girlfriends, and my brother's friend. It is a great feeling to watch everyone sit down and enjoy your dinner, and give you big ups because you put yo' foot in it lol! Especially mom dukes, she ate it and said that she was glad I cooked this time. I figured I would give her a rest since she had 2 events at her crib in one month. It was great, and nothing feels better than giving...but I know that it feels good receiving too! Who have you missed, who did you catch up with? How was your time with your beautiful family?

2. info-moetry

info-moetry STAFF STAFF

United States
    A+ technician
    Ratings:
    +6,486
    The cowboys won....:)

3. cherryblossom

cherryblossom Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5,560
    “You Know You Need To Be Thankful”
    [​IMG]

Scriptural Text: Colossians 1:11-13

Happy Thanksliving! No, I did not misspell a word - the spelling here is quite intentional. One thing I have learned about giving thanks is it must not be a “pause” for a day but a “position” for a lifestyle. To drive this point home and to counter the very shallow understanding of "turkey day, "let’s popularize the term “thanksliving.” In my early life, the people that put their personal stamp on my life by sharing in my nurturing were the most thankful people I knew. Generally always black, they personified thankfulness, yet had less “stuff” to play with and boast about and had less opportunities to pursue life's varied so-called advancements. Additionally, they had come through The Great Depression, world wars, brutal racism, and multiple plagues of various illnesses...

... If the “old folks” were known to get a prayer through and have it show in their demeanor, how can we justify any “progress” we achieve without God as being a “good thing?” How dare we look around our morally decadent neighborhoods and wonder why. It is absolutely crazy for us to fret and fuss and then be guilty of not having prayed, fasted, and given thanks. The spiritually immature (the ain’ts) figure that fasting and ‘fessing robs them of what they want most and puts them in a bad situation. But the spiritually mature (the saints) have discovered that the intimacy and favor they gain with God is worth every bit of self-denial. I fully agree that, “faith with works is dead" (James 2:26). But, prayer, fasting, and thankfulness have more to do with turning our community around then voting and activism. While voting and activism can definitely get some things done, alone they are reminiscent of our lumberjack friend that never saw the good of “sharpening his blade.”

The Scripture is clear – “This kind (certain things) can come forth by nothing, but by prayer AND fasting” (Mark 9:29) and in “giving of thanks” (Colossians 1:12). Now while I know this pre-Thanksgiving Day crowd ain’t trying to hear me talk about fasting, if not on Thursday, make a vow to practice it sometime. If you know what I am saying is true, then help me to say “Amen” and join me in executing all the means of grace. If you don’t know, keep swinging that dull axe while I chill and enjoy Jesus.

E. Anthony Preston
    The Black Church Page
    & Dove Solutions, Inc.
    Posted on Monday, November 21 @ 00:39:12 CST by eanthonypreston
    complete here: http://www.theblackchurchpage.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=79

4. legit-writer

legit-writer Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,189
    peace and quiet and the green bay packers beat the lions

5. cherryblossom

Ratings:
    +5,560
    I enjoyed rest, good food and good fellowship.

6. cherryblossom

Ratings:
    +5,560
    I enjoyed rest, good food and good fellowship.