Black Spirituality Religion : What Did Religion Do To The African Woman?

Keita Kenyatta

REGISTERED MEMBER
Feb 7, 2004
When It comes to religion There has been no bigger enemy to the woman than this. If we go back to the king James Bible we will notice that there are scriptures that entirely promote a male agenda and the superiority of the man over the woman. The Bible begins this by first stating that Adam came first and that woman came from Adam. She was then blamed for the downfall of man in Genesis 3:16 whereby it's stated that "the man shall rule over her".

Being mindful that the Bible was written by men, we are about to explore a series of issues to support the male position as documented in the Bible.1st Timothy 2:11-14 has the male priesthood say: "Let the woman learn in silence with all submission. And I do not permit a woman to teach or to have authority over a man, but to be in silence. For Adam was formed first, then Eve. And Adam was not deceived, but the woman being deceived, fell into transgression." If we take this back to Genesis 1-27-28 we will see that the man and woman were created together. By the time we reach Genesis 2:19-20 we see that everything is created before the woman is...and then as an after thought God finally creates woman after the birds, beast, plants and everything else. In other words, she is created last.

Leviticus 12: 1-5 we will see that a woman is declared "unclean for a longer time if she gives birth to a female child than a male child." We see in Deuteronomy 22:20-21 that "a woman is to be stoned to death if she isn't a virgin but no such law exist for the man." The inferior status of the woman is further reflected in the teachings of Paul in 1st. Corinthians 11:3 whereby he states that "the head of every man is Christ and that the head of every woman is man." To further add insult to injury, we find in 11:7 that "Man is the glory of God, But the woman is the glory of man." 1st Peter 3:1 reinforces this by telling women to be "in subjection to your husbands."

It is only when we study the history of outsiders who would oppress and enslave our people that we see that they had an issue with women. In fact, all of this is part of their cultural development and struggle to survive their environment. An environment that caused them to develop a harsh concept of their Creator as nature was their enemy...an enemy that they had to overcome and conquer if they were to survive. It was this that caused them to go through many internal and external changes as they were actually engaged in a battle for their own physical survival that had no room for the weak.

What is perhaps more interesting is what the so called founding fathers of Christianity had to say as it regards the woman. St.Chrysostom writes that: "Woman is a necessary evil, a desirable calamity, a deadly fascination and a painted ill." Tertullian states that: "Thou art the devil's gate, the betrayer of the tree, the first deserter of the divine law." St. Clement writes that: "Above all it seems right that we turn away from the sight of woman...the affection that rises from desire which we call love, leads to the fire which will never cease in consequence of sin." In the year 585 A.D. an assembly of Bishops at the Church Council of Macon actually and solemnly debated whether woman was a human being and whether she had a soul. The doctrine asserted that: "Nature, which ever aims at perfection, would always produce men, and that when woman is born, it is, as it were, by mistake, and an error of nature...thus a woman is born, it is, as it were, by mistake, and an error of nature...thus a woman is an animal produced by accident." (Art. Geddicus, Philosophical Dict.)

Luther writes: "If they are stubborn (in demands for sexual indulgence) it is fitting that their husbands should tell them, If you will not, another will. If the mistress refuses to come, let the maid be called." (Cited by Bossuet, Variations of The Churches) With the male dominated writings in the Bible and the words of the Christian Founding Fathers, the stage was now set for her physical, social and systemic destruction as man was now deemed to be Supreme as ordained by God himself "in his Holy Book."

The systematic

presence Religion

...demeaned
...demoralized
...degraded
...denigated
...disenfranchised
--demarked

the Black Woman and her place in World His Story -- until NOW.

However, Religion was not able to dismantle HER and never will....!:court:

Ase':qqb015:

It's nice to be promoted as an African woman. But based upon my personal experience, I wonder if the negative actions of any person, man or woman, in positions of power should be excused away.

Based on this post though, can you give an example of a positive ancient African woman that was degraded by religion other than the Biblical Eve.

Also, in lieu of Eve's Biblical account, it was recorded that she conspired against Adam. So what then, I'm wondering, could be the problem with her judgment.
---------------------------------------------
Did you read the last Book in the Old Testament; MALACHI. The entire Book is dedicated to the judgment against Israel for taking strange wives and judgment against ill treatment towards the true 'aboriginal women of Israel'.

what did religion do to the african woman

easy

piss me off

it enslaved my dad
it exploited my children
it forgot about my moms

but mostly it's feedin bast

the cat
the cat that don't lick cat's
the cat that skins cat's
the coolest cat
that's gon get some get back
the cat with 10 lives

it's gon be a kitty cat fight

me-owwwww

the cat and the lion = two very pissed off creators

the cat is called the black panther.... she's a grl

there's a part of me Elder Keita, that wants to choke a whole bunch of people, real talk.... i have visions of puttin my foot square up a few ***** ....there's a little me that would walk to florida for a head up, but they just tryin to lock us all up

the system ain't gonna get me

but it can't have what's mine

original black man's spirit.... shish belongs to me....it's mine.... if i gotta die to get it then they can bring it....

and **** it if i die for it i lose....

the truth is i don't gotta die for what's mine

their gonna give it to me or their gonna die plain and simple, and since I got God wit me

i ain't worried about ish

i'm just waiting

i know this mouths a gat so little me can't lead cause i'll destroy everything

i already asked for the return to my real nature

and it's comin but the bigger me is wise and knows when little me will be ready

and as long as i wan choke m effers it just mean the student ain't ready

refining today is a literal act of self creation for tomorrow

in the future u r my best friends

ur my manager

u and ur wife are the example of the great royal couple

me and my husband, well he's a scribe and i'm his sandal bearer

u have to have and example of power w/ love
and and example of just love

we made it this way, and we must start living this way

we make a song u and i

my part goes

forgive me father for i have sinn'd
i been effin w/ these thug *** n----- again

we have a connection at every generation

we're all versions of each other

i love u and my sister u gave she everything i didn't have at 15, so when i visit little me, really i'm visitin ur spot, because my spot at 15 was no place for a child

and if i'm fearless it's because i know what u know and that's simple they better not touch what i love

if i'm not what u expected i apologize

but trust me

like u do :)

cause 2 more attachments to overcome, and then i can b born.... again for u relgious folks

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back