Black People : What causes depression, fatigue?

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by MsVeraisblessed, Apr 23, 2012.

1. MsVeraisblessed

MsVeraisblessed Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +1,148
    Could it be the food we eat? mistreatment from others? sugar? the news reporting bad news?

what causes us to say ''forget it,..i ain't getting out of bed today''? Yet we got dishes piled up in the kitchen, unwashed laundry, dogs whining for they food, kids being ignored cause you don't want to be bothered, phone off the hook, etc,...

2. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,680
    Hey Sister ... great question ... and i think all of those things, and more, can trigger depression.

Plus, we're a people kept collectively on the edge of living, which could spur on depression, all by itself.

There's so many things that can do it, and what sends one over the edge, might not send another.

For example ... when my Mother passed away ... Gurl ... it sent me over the edge, into a great depression.

There are some who are able to weather such a storm without getting so depressed they can't function.

If one finds themselves in such a situation, just being able to recognize it, call it by it's name ... is a feat.

Generally, it's such a shameful place to be, no one even wants to say it out loud to others.

Not a pretty place ... depression ... but if one is there, be encouraged, because you can get out ... alive.

Love You Sister! Thanks for broaching such an important topic! :kiss:

:heart:

Destee

3. MsVeraisblessed

Ratings:
    +1,148
    thank you destee,...much love and apology to you on your mom. I can relate to your pain on a loss of a parent. i lost mine when i was 8. I think i went into depression then and didnt even know it. I kept to myself, rebelled and finally got into things i shouldn't've done.

But there are times, when i wake up thinking i should get out of bed, i stay in and don't move. Kids been done gone and came back from school, still havent got up. The next day, the same thing. Finally my daughter said, ''mom, Are you okay? You've been in this room for 2 days.'' No tv or nothing. just plain quietness. Its just weird. *shakes heads and shrug*

4. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,736
    depression can be repressed anger. anger turned inward because one cannot vent it outwardly.
    many black people suffer from depression and other mental illnesses and do not know it.

5. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,680

Bless your heart Sister ... thank you for the sympathies regarding my Mother, and i extend the same to you. I'd imagine that you probably did experience some form of depression when you were a child, and can see how rebelling, acting out, and not knowing how to handle such pain could lead to doing things one ought not do. Bless your heart.

To hear you're experiencing the stay in the bed, not move, stuff ... might suggest a tad bit of depression ... though i'm no doctor of course, but if it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck ... it might problee be a duck ... ya know?

Sometimes too ... you might just need some down time ... and this may be a way for your body, mind, and Spirit to force you into some rest. Oftentimes, a Momma will push and push and push herself for everyone else, until her body just says ... i give ... and you gotta lay it down, allow it to recuperate, rejuvenate, all of that.

2 days is enough for the children and Family to take notice, but it might not mean hard-core depression is present. You may be able to talk yourself through it, lay around for another day or two, and by the end of the week, you may be your old self again.

If not ... you might wanna look at it a little more in depth.

One thing i found too Sister, is the guilt that comes from laying around, when you can hardly do anything else ... like you said ... you tell yourself, i'm gonna get up and do this, and do that, never actually doing anything ... the hours tick by ... babies get home ... question you ... and along with the forced down time, or onset of some depressing energies ... you do yourself more damage by feeling guilty that you're not doing what you know needs doing.

Don't make it any worse on yourself Sister, don't beat yourself up about it.

Consider it a blessing that you can stop, that you can rest, that you can take a moment, a couple of days, for yourself. Most Sisters don't even have that option.

Just stay on top of it Sister ... and if you must ... see someone who can help with it.

I Love You! :grouphug:

Destee

6. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,680
    Sister ... another good thing for you to consider ... is that you are talking about it!!!

That is soooo good !!! For it keeps the depression from being alone with your thots!

When it's just you and the depression, never speaking to others about it, it's worse i believe.

It allows the depressive energy to have more of a control on you, which is never good.

Talking about it puts it on the table, shines light on it, and takes away some of its power.

Keep talking about it Sister ... even if you don't see the kind of results you want immediately.

Never let it have you all to itself ... that's worse ... so keep up the good work! :toast:

Love You! :kiss:

Destee

7. Keita Kenyatta

Keita Kenyatta going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

Ratings:
    +3,382
    Did your man give you a reason to get up? Ok, I'm guilty of that too but I do it on purpose. Come Saturday and Sunday I'm like the invisible man. Me and my pillow get all intimate...sometimes I wake up with feathers in my mouth and ish. I just don't want to do nothing!! Ok, the pillow thing was a joke...I got one of them Sobakawa pillows or whatever you call them. However, food can do it as well as a lack of sunlight depending on what your complexion is. The darker you are, the more sunlight you need.

8. info-moetry

info-moetry STAFF STAFF

United States
    A+ technician
    Ratings:
    +6,486
    peace

As already mentioned there are many things that can 'trigger' one into a depression, but imhpo, the main factor or foundation that reacts to those 'triggers' is dissapointment on some level. It can be a dissapointment you experienced as a child that has never been dealt with and has only been fed (repeated) over the years. This could cause one to stay at the buffet much longer than usual, or have the opposite effect and cause one to not want to eat at all.

One of the main signs of someone who is feeling depressed, is one that is constantly talking negative and doesn't want to see anyone else happy because they're not happy. Depression, i would dare say is the root cause of most break ups. One, or both parties involved are not happy because one, or both have suffered one too many dissapointments by the other parties hand.

9. MsVeraisblessed

Ratings:
    +1,148
    watch what i eat, get more sunlight, don't bottle up my problems, okay,..i get it. thanks for the responses guys.

10. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,736
    :SuN034:depression is probability the most throughly researched mental illness on the planet. get some professional help.