Black Education / Schools : What can you do with your major?

Discussion in 'Black Education / Schools' started by angelicsage, Jan 9, 2004.

1. angelicsage

angelicsage Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +39

2. 9EtherAlchemist

9EtherAlchemist Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +16
    If anyone could post some information on how I might be able to work in the chemical engineering field with a a regular B.S. in Chemistry would be very helpful. Also any info on jobs that ask for a B.S. in a science degree but is not 'bench work'.

I had a doctor tell me that her friend majored in Chemistry and then worked for Sherwin William. So I guess she's involved with the process of making paint, and she gets to travel the world accorinding to this doctor.

3. cherryblossom

cherryblossom Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5,560
    Do some research.

GOOGLE for Chemistry Internships, Fellowships, employment, etc...IN YOUR AREA.

College Majors 101: Chemistry

USA JOBS: Federal Jobs By College Major

4. 9EtherAlchemist

Ratings:
    +16
    I Been looking at things like those websites since high school

I've done plenty of research on my major, but many of these jobs are templated from day one by the colleges. They be trying to leading you to these jobs that have something to do with pharma, or conventional med. To find those jobs that are truly unique and you won't read about them through the 'Occupational Outlook', you have to come across by chance or be informed of it through a human (not these handbooks).

5. 9EtherAlchemist

Ratings:
    +16
    I was told you could get a job in certain parts of the computer manufacturing industry with a chem degree. I been looking up and down for info on that and get mostly dead ends. You also can work in textiles (clothing or materials for clothing, furniture, etc), but have yet to find something that can describe the work environment of these careers or even company names that hire??????

conspiracy

6. cherryblossom

cherryblossom Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5,560
    Brother, you asked for help in finding a JOB in your college concentration of CHEMISTRY, specifically engineering.

Now, I didn't just copy/paste those websites. I LOOKED AT THEM.

The FIRST one has related Chemical COMPANIES listed (like DUPONT and DOW, etc..) with their company websites on it.---Now, yes, SOME of the jobs are "INTERNSHIPS" and some are NOT.

Now, I don't know if YOUR college/university has a "Recruitment Partnership" with those companies or not....only YOU could find that out.

And the OTHER site was for FEDERAL JOBS IN THE CHEMISTRY FIELD.
    Again, I don't know where you live. So, only YOU could find possible jobs in your area.

There are Civil Service jobs and with private companies out there which relate to military services or supplies in the chemistry field.

Have you researched any of those, orally or cyber-ly?

And perhaps you could also research City, County or State Employment in your area, related to your Chemistry degree.

So, if you only gave a cursory glance and dismissed them, then, that's on you. ---But, as a college student or fresh college grad, it's been my experience to "leave no stone unturned" or to not go back and look again.

You previously mentioned you heard of someone who worked for Sherwin Williams. So, have you looked at their website and other paint companies for "Career Opportunities" in Chemistry as well?

Yes, I know that many jobs or fields are gained through "word of mouth" or networking (know somebody who knows somebody)...

But, there's an old expression that says, "If it HAS BEEN done, it CAN BE DONE."

I wish you well, Brother.

7. truetothecause

truetothecause Well-Known Member MEMBER

The~rapist
    Ratings:
    +843
    What type of work do you envision yourself doing:?:
    That is, what do your WANT to do and is that the same vision that supported you in majoring in Chemistry:?:

M.E.
    :hearts2:

8. KWABENA

KWABENA STAFF STAFF

United States
    Leader-Student-Teacher
    Ratings:
    +367
    First off, lol, 9EtherAlchemist is a sistah and not a brotha.

Also, one of the things to look at when it comes to choosing a major is what area or field is in demand. Sadly but truly the areas in demand are Science & Technology-oriented.

KWABENA

9. 9EtherAlchemist

Ratings:
    +16
    @ Kwabena: Thank you Kwabena for noting that. I've been dragging my feet getting around to it.

@Turth: My reasons for getting into chemistry was I wanted to research 'cures' for viruses. I ran into info by Dr. Sebi, Dherbs, and other herbalists and now that's wish is pretty much out the window. I was also doing undergrad research that year and the type of work environment that I've been dealing with since I entered the major, I am still coming across. I initially went to a majority yt school and thought that was the issue, but its the same way at HBCU. I don't like the work environment and If I decide to go back and finish, I'll have to take back the lifestyle that comes with a science major (hell of studying), and not much time to do anything else. That's how the chips fall when I'm in school anyways. So I had a dream about massage therapy and thought about herbology, but with my dad retired now, I can't just zip and zoom across the country like before and I need a place to stay while studying (cuz I'm not going to find anything in the **** of town I reside in now, except massage).

@Blossom: I will check those sites out and see what they have to offer.

10. Rahim

Rahim Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +51
    looks like i am a little late to the party ....

there are a lot of things you can do with your major, sista....

here are some ideas...

how is your writing skills? if you sharpened your writing skills, and with your science background you could be a technical writer, writing science manuals and manuals for lab technology equipment.

also... you could finish your science studies, and with a masters in journalism, write for science mags, or be a science reporter...

or get a certification on medical lab technology and be in the lab in hospitals and what not running tests (i work in a animal lab now and they could use people with your type of background )

just a few ideas...

Rahim