Pan Africanism : What can Continental Africans Do to Help Africa?

Discussion in 'Black History - Culture - Panafricanism' started by Sekhemu, Feb 10, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sekhemu

Sekhemu Well-Known Member MEMBER

priest
    Ratings:
    +1,064
    What if anything can Continental Africans living abroad and in Africa do to help the genocide, famine and starvation to the family in the motherland. Frankly I have a few ideas, but I would like to see what other members think

2. Sekhemu

priest
    Ratings:
    +1,064
    Isn't it interesting, with all the back and forth about what is not being done for Africans in Africa, nobody has anything to say about this thread. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

3. Radical Faith

Radical Faith Well-Known Member MEMBER

Operations Manager
    Ratings:
    +137
    The building of a nation

Here I am brother. Late but here. The first thing Continental Africans can do to help Africa is to form a united continental government structure that serves to the needs of the people of Africa instead of small elitist groups. In order to do this countries must put aside their tribal differences, stop warring and the greed and corruption. All civil war must stop but those who are against the betterment of continental Africa must be removed from power. Once this happens Africa must pool it's resources, standardize one language, create continental laws, create one currency, promote economic growth continentally and share the wealth. Anyone not born of African descent should not have reign over any African nation, "not in the beginning anyway". A continental military should be established to protect Africas borders, skies, shores and waters. Africa must be industrialized and become a major player in the global market. Africa must become a major producer of finished good and less of a consumer of foreign goods. Africa must be dedicated to the preservation of all its culture and traditions. Africans must establish great institutions of higher learner. Africans must separate government from religion. Africans must not let issues divide them and stay focused on the common good of Africa. Those are just a few things to start with off the top of my head that I came up with.

Peace

Radical Faith

4. panafrica

panafrica Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +194
    This largely depends on the type of government involved. One way that Continental Africans living abroad help their native countries & family is by sending money back to those left behind. This form of assistance is often overlooked, but in reality sending money "back home" is multi-billion dollar business for the sending and receiving country. I personally know of a man from Ghana in my city who is having a school built in his native town. We all know of Dikembe Mutumbo's efforts to build hospitals in the Congo. Campaigns like this would be wonderful if they occured in greater numbers. A significant number of African Immigrants are educated professionals. Not everyone possesses a skill that fits Africa's needs (an art teacher for example). However for those doctors, engineers, and architects that do. It would be nice to see them return to their native countries & put the skills they have learned to 1st hand use. To be fair some Africans living abroad do this, to be honest more never go back. This is unfortunate, but the reality is that most people that immigrate to another country, usually don't return to their native one. That is part of the immigration process, and it is why that decision isn't to be taken lightly.

As far as people within Africa helping each other, I would like to see more cooperation between African nations. When one African nation is faced with famine or a food shortage, it would be beautiful for assistance to come from another African nation. Preferrably this would be a business transaction, not free aid. Africa does have the resources to sustain itself, not in every country, but a free trade system will establish a more effective method of exploiting its resources. Specifically I'd like to see a United States of Africa (which I've written extensively on). To an extent we are already starting to see more African nations working with each other: South Africa's Mbeki is becoming increasingly involved in other African crisis. Ghana and Nigeria often lend its military and opens their borders for refugees. More efforts like these are necessary for the stabilization & true independance of the continent. However the extent to which any of this can happen once again depends on the types of government in question & how closely tied that government is tied to their European Imperialist.

To be continued......

5. Sekhemu

priest
    Ratings:
    +1,064
    very enlightening replies Radical and Pan!

6. Sekhemu

priest
    Ratings:
    +1,064
    In light of all that has been said about the horrors and atrocities going on in Africa, why has there been so little feed back on this question. Particuliary from those who are directly affected by it.

7. Isaiah

Isaiah Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +62
    Brother Sekhemu, I am just seeing this thread, and like you, I am surprised that all of the people who routinely lambaste African Americans for our ignorance, and our do--nothing and care nothing about Africa attitudes, are themselves bankrupt when it comes to providing any answers, any solutions, for the problems that beset the Motherland...

I guess they gone say it' "top secret, bruh", as a means of diverting our attention from the fact that they aint got a vision... Well, the people perish for lack of a vision, and knowing this, some of us should be trying to put our heads together to do something rather than harping and focusing on the problem... AGain, we know what the problems are... What are we going to do about them???!

One of the first things we must do is to begin to promote positive images of Africa and Africans all over the world... Another thing we MUST do, is to learn to accept criticism of ourselves... One actually exposes his weaknesses at that level, when they are so sensitive to criticism that they cannot handle it without savaging the critic... Soft underbelly, I think they call it...

As for what Continental Africans who are living abroad can do, they could do a helluva lot more than what they are, and that would include promoting a better image for Africa than they have...

Peace!
    Isaiah

8. Sekhemu

priest
    Ratings:
    +1,064
    Excellent points. Let's see if any brothas and sistahs from the Motherland on the forum have anything to offer in the way of solutions.

9. anAfrican

anAfrican Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    The Meek !Shall! Inherit the Earth.
    Ratings:
    +745
    Yeah, it is definitely time to do something.

There. I can toss out just as valid a point as anyone else will be able to on this subject.

I think that one of the things that Africans are going to have to do is to recognize that all the "propaganda" that has gone before has been a bit too internalized. It is difficult to generate valid/valuable suggestions while trying to fight through years and years of conditioning against doing just that.

I have a difficult time organizing my thoughts because I was not educated to use my brain as it/I was born to use it. I've tried to get some of the things I'm feeling about this subject down on paper so that they can be shared, but I'm fairly sure that they are quite jumbled. If you would, take a look at "Glacially Induced Deviations" and "Ain't No Men in this House" in the "Hello Family ... I'm New" thread of Open Forums. I'm hoping that there is something in there that might be of value. I know that I should be able to speak to some of what I said there in response to this topic (and I'll try) but there is just this really big "vision" in my head that I have not found the proper medium to articulate with.

In GID, I try to introduce the idea that all of the messes around this planet have one source; those members of our human family that were warped by prolonged exposure to extreme cold. As a result, Humanity has an "owie" in our "white part".

In ANMitH, I try to suggest that it is up to Africans to (as usual) fix stuff since we, being the First People of This Earth, DO know what/how things should work. I suggest that by getting all the way down to the peace and knowledge that still exists within our core being, and bringing that peace and knowledge back out into our daily lives (in spite of everything that works to make us think that we are holding ourselves back), that peace will affect everyone around us. As someone mentioned in another thread, everybody seems to "copy" the stuff we do without giving us credit for it. While getting credit for getting others to do good stuff is all well and good, we may just have to accept it if/when they copy us and do the stuff.

I think that I tend to think of it as, since we are the First People, it is up to us to set an example that the rest of humanity (our children) can follow.

I just really wish I could get all this out. It's sort of like being blinded by an internal vision of what the "artwork" should look like, but not having access to adequate tools to get it down on canvas. So naturally, it looks "bumbling" when I try to force it. And nobody (else) really wants to hear it since they are fat and happy with the status quo (profits, position, etc.).

10. Radical Faith

Radical Faith Well-Known Member MEMBER

Operations Manager
    Ratings:
    +137
    In addition

Let me just add that Africa needs to aquire Technology and invest more time and money in the Research and Development of new Technology. This can only be done by recruiting professors or sending students abroad to obtain vital knowledge especially in the medical field, business and marketing and engineering. I know this is already being done but it is happening on a small scale only involving the interest of countries instead of the continent.

Peace

Radical Faith

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.