Black Education / Schools : What Can Be Done

Nasheed

REGISTERED MEMBER
Jan 15, 2008
The Ville in The Lou
Occupation
Otr Truck Driver
As we all know this is so-called Black History Month and as usual the public schools require the children 2 do a report on a famous African American. My daughter brought home a list of names that she was disappointed with. She wanted to do a report on Kemet but, of course, it wasn't on the list.
I went to the school and asked the principle, who by the way is African American with a PHD about this. Her first reaction was shock(I guess I dont look the part or she didnt know herself). The sistah explained to me that they have a certain curriculum to follow. I told her I understand that but the curriculum keeps our babies handcuffed to slavery as if thats were we began.

The sistah didnt take it to well and the conversation got intense. I told her that"Being the Principle of an all Black school I felt she had a responsibility to step outside the box and allow Our Story to be told." She replied" The his-story taught was jus fine and that she wouldnt change things."

So, I ask the family if any actions can be taken to changes things. I am in no position to home school nor do I have the finances for private school. Is there any way I can go about changing things.

brother nasheed

As we all know this is so-called Black History Month and as usual the public schools require the children 2 do a report on a famous African American. My daughter brought home a list of names that she was disappointed with. She wanted to do a report on Kemet but, of course, it wasn't on the list.
I went to the school and asked the principle, who by the way is African American with a PHD about this. Her first reaction was shock(I guess I dont look the part or she didnt know herself). The sistah explained to me that they have a certain curriculum to follow. I told her I understand that but the curriculum keeps our babies handcuffed to slavery as if thats were we began.

The sistah didnt take it to well and the conversation got intense. I told her that"Being the Principle of an all Black school I felt she had a responsibility to step outside the box and allow Our Story to be told." She replied" The his-story taught was jus fine and that she wouldnt change things."

So, I ask the family if any actions can be taken to changes things. I am in no position to home school nor do I have the finances for private school. Is there any way I can go about changing things.

if you keep being a loving caring father like you are now, your babies will grow up upright. see, IMHO you ARE doing home schooloing. the fact that you rejected the homogenized crap they put out to our babies shows your level of overstanding. give them YOUR own assignments, ok? you and your wife will be good teachers i am sure. :)

Greetings Bro Nasheed,

Trust me, I know how you feel. Living in the UK(KK), Afrikan/Black ourstory is not mandatory in British schools; however, so-called 'Black History Month' happens every October over here, & like you guys in the USA it is only taught from the point of enslavement.

Teaching only from this point gives a wide impression that our people and our Ancestors made no significant contributions that could be of any relevance to the world prior to enslavement, and creates low self-esteem in some of our young people as it gives a distorted view of African/Black ourstory.

The Afrikans early advancement in the fields of science, literature, linguistics, architecture, fine arts, medicine, etc., have been omitted from books and attributed to the European, as well as the lack of conveying knowledge of Afrikan empires, i.e. Songhay, Ghana, Mali, etc. There are, however, a few initiatives (one of which I shall mention here) that aim to address this. A New York based museum called the Museum of Black Innovations and Inventions (http://www.blackinventions101.com/), created specifically to present the many contributions of Afrikan/Black people, tours schools and colleges in many countries with multimedia presentations introducing inventions by people of Afrikan descent of the past and present. It is a start but is these initiatives enough? Although such initiatives are presenting Afrikan/Black history from a more positive perspective, there is still the issue of having it being presented in a way that also discusses Afrikan/Black history “prior” to enslavement and not subsequent to it.

Why is this important? Dr Lez Henry, Educational Interventionist, Sociologist and Cultural Historian asks, how are children of Afrikan descent going to feel empowered when they learn little or nothing of value about themselves?

Check out the website Hogarth Blake that have created a “TIMELINE 8000 Years of Afrikan and European History” on one scroll which you can make your school and parents aware and come together to get your school to purchase the scroll and even make bookings for the company to do school visits. (Check out the video also on the home page) The website is: http://hh-bb.com/uk/index.html

More Afrikan/Black people and parents have to come together and put the government under pressure if we want to make real and practical changes for the school curriculum’s. Start petitions. As you say Bro Nasheed, for some of us it isn’t easy trying to do the home-schooling especially if one does not have the support..

Peace & Blessings!

Sis Soul makes an excellent point! You will need to supplement your childrens education, 'cause not only will their history not be presented in it's entirety, but it's likely to be tipped with lies. I don't believe, there is anything wrong with taking your children to a Euro-sponsored museum, as long as you explain the descrepancies between what is displayed and what is the truth. When I lived in the Tristate area, I took my daughter to the MOMA. Bro Hassan Salim took a group of us to the "Egypt" display. i think I learned as much as she did! Another good Museuem might be the Schomburg.

Thanx My Brother

if you keep being a loving caring father like you are now, your babies will grow up upright. see, IMHO you ARE doing home schooloing. the fact that you rejected the homogenized crap they put out to our babies shows your level of overstanding. give them YOUR own assignments, ok? you and your wife will be good teachers i am sure. :)

Im trying my best. It gets real aggravating sometimes. The children are bombarded with this crap on a daily basis. I have to try and keep it balanced.

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back