Black People : What Can African/Black Folks Do To Make A Difference

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by Al D, Jul 14, 2016.

1. Al D

Al D We become that which we repeatedly do.. PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Retired Business Owner
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +421
    I started a thread ( Vote for National Black Solidarity Day) which asked folks to just cast a simple vote to support or not support. Out of the 200 plus viewers there were four votes for support..For me that is an extremely disappointing result. So,I would like folks to make some suggestions as to what can African/Black folks do that will make a difference?
    Individually or Collectively..Let's have some constructive dialogue...
    Einstein 2.jpg

2. NNQueen

NNQueen going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,860
    During "Black History Month":

Hold a nationwide moratorium (Blackonomics) on spending for the entire month unless it's with a Black-owned business. Naturally pay your essential bills to keep the roof over your heads and lights/heat on, but don't waste spend.

This could be an opportunity for Black preachers of larger churches with tons of money to support the Black community and not the other way around. Host activities every night of the week.
    • Take money given to churches and host free classes on how to start and sustain a business.
    • Work with Black-owned banks to help with start-up costs for community members that want to become entrepreneurs and demonstrate they have taken courses and built a business-plan.
    • Sponsor free classes on computer technology and create internships for students with local Black businesses to practice what they learn.
    • Teach economics/accounting and create a network of qualified people in the community to help Black businesses in their communities that struggle with bookkeeping and filing taxes. Businesses should pay a fee for this service.
    • Find property where a black-owned and supported farmer's market can be established to grow and sell fresh/healthy foods that can be provided to a Black community and others, particularly people who live in food desert areas. Supply farmer's market trucks that can deliver produce to people without transportation and who don't live near bus routes, particularly, the elderly.
    • Sell locally produced foods to local grocery stores where money is put back into the market.
    • Host survival courses in case of an state-of-emergency where Black people can learn how to survive without modern conveniences and live off the grid if they need to.
    Form a nation-wide network among community activists and agencies where this is happening across the U.S. among Black people during Black History Month. The whole month can be devoted to entrepreneurial and survival innovation.

Not well thought out but an idea ... economic (warfare) empowerment and survival skill building for living under hostile conditions.

• Like Like x 2
    • Love It Love It x 1
    • List
  3. NNQueen

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,860
    Also . . .

• Bring in experts to train community members, including business owners on racial literacy and how to recognize biases and microaggressions and, more importantly, what to do about it so that it doesn't have a negative impact on your health.
    • Bring together the medical community to have screenings for diabetes and hypertension and STD's and substance abuse tests done. Offer professional counseling services.
    • Host seminars on sexual abuse and counseling services.
    • Create a special team to talk with gangs about violence in the Black community and negotiate a plan to end it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Love It Love It x 1
    • List
  4. Kemetstry

Kemetstry going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Chemist
    Ratings:
    +6,122
    1. Place money in black banks or credit unions

2. Shop with our own

3. Register yourself and any of your friends acquaintences to vote

4. Become an informed voter

5. Vote in every election

6. Stop buying drugs and liquor, unless the doc. says so

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  5. Al D

Al D We become that which we repeatedly do.. PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Retired Business Owner
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +421
    I embrace everything and support everything that Sister NN Queen and Brother Kemetstry have outlined... I am especially drawn to your initial statement sister..For me, Black History month is every month, every day, every minute and second..Both you and brother Kemetstry are on point with supporting and buying Black and we should always do this whenever and where ever possible. Unfortunately, there aren't a lot of African owned businesses that can cater to our every day needs, nevertheless it is a good start..

But what I am most concerned with is how do we address the deeply rooted destructive behavior that we demonstrate towards ourselves and one another?
    How do we eradicate or contend with systematic racism and bigotry and become a relevant force in the society that we live in and contribute so much to every single day?
    How do we address and correct these problematic core issues within our culture that tend to shackle and handcuff us which leads us down a slow suicidal path?
    All the proposals have merit but they will benefit us nothing if we don't adjust our thinking, attitudes and behavior...So many of us are reluctant to get involved and there is a root problem here which holds us back that needs to be identified and extricated...Black folks need to see that there is a future for us here and that we have to believe it deep within the debts of our soul. So maybe we can start by asking folks what is their dream, their vision and if they feel that it's attainable or not. If not why? Building people up and supporting them with continuous positive reinforcement..
    By the way Sister NN Queen and Brother Kemetstry, I live in Florida where are the two of you?

6. IFE

IFE Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +551
    Become more politically involved in issues affecting our communities.
    Continue using all the current non violent energy to force politicians to recognize that we will not stop until our demands are met.

Stop shopping with business using prison labor! Please stop. Money talks, bs walks. We have become so use to buying from these companies that to change must be a deliberate act.

Companies using prison labor includes, but not limited to:

Walmart, Whole Foods, McDonald’s, Wendy's, Starbucks, Sprint, Verizon, Victoria’s Secret, J.C Penney and Kmart, American Airlines and Avis

When you call sprint customer service, the call is answered by an inmate making $1 an hour. Same for American Airlines and Avis.

Jobs are being outsourced to the Prison Industrial Complex.

• Thank You Thank You x 1
    • List
  7. NNQueen

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,860
    I live in Michigan by way of South Florida. :wave:

What you say here is true and doesn't fall on deaf ears. I only mentioned Black History Month because it's a month set aside for us and we might as well put it to good use for our benefit and not the benefit of the white establishment. Most definitely though, it's every day for us.

Addressing destructive behavior, it brings to mind this brother, who is a scholar and does work on and has written a book on promoting racial literacy in schools. Here's a snipet:

"Dr. Howard Stevenson is the Constance Clayton Professor of Urban Education, Professor of Africana Studies, and former Chair of the Applied Psychology and Human Development Division in the Graduate School of Education at the University of Pennsylvania. He is a nationally recognized researcher in independent and public K-12 schools and teaches how children can develop healthy racial identities through racial stress management. The PLAAY (Preventing Long-term Anger and Aggression in Youth) Project uses basketball and racial socialization to help youth and parents cope with stress from violence and social rejection.

His most recent book, Promoting Racial Literacy in Schools, shifts a focus on race relations away from “colorblind-ness” toward racial literacy: the ability to read, recast, and resolve racially stressful encounters when they happen. The book is currently ranked 13 in the top education books as listed by the Library Journal. This work is based on racial interactions research and 30 years of intervention experience in schools to prepare children, parents and teachers to identify unfairness and become academically assertive."

Although this was written for K-12 students, I have participated in a workshop and find that his model can also be applied to adults in and outside the classroom. I offer this as ONE possible way for us to address destructive behavior as I found it quite enlightening and thought-provoking.

His younger brother, Bryan Stevenson, is a heavy-weight in his own right and the work that he does to help Black men who are incarcerated or have run-ins with the legal system and addressing poverty, is powerful. He's also written a book that I recommend as a "must read," "Just Mercy." Bryan is an awesome public speaker that will bring you to tears when he shares his experiences with Black men who are locked away and forgotten.

Before we can change our hearts and act differently, we must change our mindsets. Some people try doing this through prayer, meditation and affirmations. Others need something more tangible and in your face...more hands-on. Let's read and talk about what brothers like this have researched, found out, and are doing to make a difference in the Black community that's not in our face everyday like the mainstream news media. It's powerful work; it's work that is worthy of our attention and discussion. Things like this can begin to serve as a blueprint for us to build on and take direct action. Start with self first. Stop focusing on the negative and start building on the positive.

8. NNQueen

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,860
    I am totally unaware of how prison labor is being used. WTH? Good recommendations, sister, and thank you!

9. NNQueen

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,860
    We can TEACH White people how to talk to us and hold them accountable for how they treat us. I don't think the method this family used was effective:

"My Ancestors Owned Your ***!" Could you have handled this differently?

10. NNQueen

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,860