Black Spirituality Religion : What Black Women Should Know About Christianity

Discussion in 'Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion' started by Perfection, Apr 17, 2013.

1. Perfection

Perfection Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,015
    While there are some legitimate challenges which are put forth against Christianity, there doesn't seem to be a shortage of hostilities against the Christian faithful. I make a clear distinction between legitimate, truth-seeking challenges and shotgun, "you-stupid-for-believing" abush-like attacks. Both sides are passionate and perhaps well-meaning in their challenges and defenses. But in many of the arguments I read and hear (not just in this theatre of course), I notice there is a number of factors---indeed, crucial factors, which neither side either mentions or cares to elaborate on or simply fails to observe.

I wanted to see if we could add some additional clarity for both sides. And in the process see if sophisticated people like us can lower the antagonistic flames we lodged against one another and reflect on what may be to many: new, unknown data about this system of thought.

Let me say this too. This room will be an on-going examination and so this first note will be dealing with some of the basics, the groundwork you might say, as we begin to unfold our thesis. So be patient with me and of course feel free to add, or subtract, from this analysis whatever you feel is best for your spiritual journey.

My goal for both sides is to inspire you and not to attack you.

I ask that you allow me to start by speaking a few words to those who have graduated from Christianity and who, according to them, are privy to different levels of awareness.

It may not be a good idea to have once been in something and then ridicule those who have not been able to see what you see now that you are out. Often I like to use the analogy of a Black Woman who no longer wears weaves or perms. She now wears her hair "natural." But something in between her wearing perms and her wearing her hair natural she picks up the hammer of condemnation against those Black Women who are still rocking perms.

Now those who are rocking perms, to her, are less than intelligent and is the epitome of self-hatred. If natural hair makes you put your sistahs down then maybe you should have remained with perms? If Javon was on crack for 15 years and then on the 16th year he gets help and stops the crack, what type of person would he be to now --all of a sudden-- point fingers, ridicule and harass those who are still caught up in the addiction? Javon would be clearly mistaken if he thinks somehow he's holier now that he was able to beat the addiction. Would you agree with me on this so far?

And so it is with those who believe in a mode of thought other than Christianity or even Islam---or any other non-mainstream belief system. If whatever you believe in now is giving you this newfound intrepidity to demean people who reflect exactly how you once were, then maybe what you believe in now is substandard to whatever it is you are ridiculing.

I remember a rap song from the 80s which went something like: "You're moving, but you're too slow because you're going to fast." Which can actually apply to both sides in this conversation. That is to say, well-meaning people can be moving so fast trying to get their points across (and hurting people in the process) whereby they miss the most important ones---the ones that really matter.

The centerpiece of enlightenment is empathy. That is to say, "I know how I once felt so I know how you must feel."

One final note here. The reason why the title focuses Black Women is because, as will be shown, it is intricately about you where many ideas about Christianity is derivative.

Some of what will be discussed may have been noted in other areas but other data will certainly be an enlightenment to a number of readers.

So for those who are interested, please stick around as we show you a number of matters which Black Women should know about Christianity.

2. Kadijah

Kadijah Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +2,952
    And to think, when I asked a question of atheists, I was told I was "hassling" them and ran the risk of being banned if I continued.... to ask questions they didn't want to consider? ;)

3. Angela22

Angela22 Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +3,317
    Actually, it's okay to ask, but you have to tread lightly when in the "atheist forum".

I find it interesting that you speak about women looking down upon other women. Truly, most of the time, when I'm talked about in my faith, women aren't the ones doing so.

I'm not trying to bash any men, but I feel the black men tend to feel more like the leaders, so they try to lead women down which faith they deem rightly, while some women tend to follow. So when a woman doesn't follow, men like to call them out as being trouble makers, and try to make us feel like whores, back stabbers, or brainwashed sell outs. It doesn't hurt me, and I delight in knowing I'm doing well within my faith to see the things expected!

However, I just wanted to note, anytime I've been confronted in my faith, it was a man doing so, and not a woman; but maybe this is what you've seen?

4. Kadijah

Kadijah Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +2,952

5. Angela22

United States
    Ratings:
    +3,317
    It's forums set aside for beliefs or lack thereof. They go to discuss histories of "athiesm" without being given a trial of questions, and others do the same in their respective forums. This is to minimize harassing comments and flame wars on differing beliefs. Any can post where they want, truthfully, but it's strongly recommended you post in the study forum in most agreement to your faith so no privileges are lost.

6. Perfection

Perfection Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,015
    Hello Queen...good to have your company. When I was speaking about Queens looking down on other Queens I was speaking within a certain context. I was making a parallel. And it wasn't limited to Queens but our Brothas as well. I was saying that when some of us are privy to another level of awareness all of a sudden we start looking down on those who are still caught up in what we have transcended. The former crack head is now ridiculing the current crack heads as an extreme example. With Christianity, we find that those (some) who no longer believe in Christianity are being very antagonistic to those who still believe in Christianity as if they've never walked in the Moccasins of the Christian movement. That's not showing that one has elevated to another level when these attacks are launched against our Christian Sistahs and Brothas.

As to your personal experience with those Brothas who attach to you those very nasty labels? Don't trip on them and keep doing you. There are a number of reasons why they could be doing this to you. But remember that the odds are good that they've been cultivated into the mode of thought that Paul (Apostle) wrote when he said women should be quiet and wait till they get home and ask questions from their men:

1 Corinthians 14:34---Let your women keep silence in the churches: for it is not permitted unto them to speak; but [they are commanded] to be under obedience, as also saith the law.

I'm sure you will re-interpret this right, lol? But don't worry I'm down with you. Black Women were not made to be robots unless they choose to be. What you are doing is showing the same strength and tenacity that many of the Queens in the Bible shows.

Black Women are not weak and black men shouldn't make them to be that way.

So while I may disagree with every tenet that you embrace about Christianity, I respect your right, no, I admire your decision in not being locked into a psychological dungeon where you will not get out unless the ones who call you the nasty names give you the key. You are better than that and again I admire what you're doing.

7. Angela22

United States
    Ratings:
    +3,317
    Okay. I understand your post better. Thanks!

No, there's no need to re-interpret. He spoke what he meant; in church, women should hold their tongues. However, that's church, as in, all members congregating, but elsewhere is fine. It's not a shameful thing; some think it is and thus try to find other meanings to it, but he was speaking for the benefit of the church, not for the oppression of women. And yes, it benefits the church for women to know to be humble, but this is for men as well; just in other aspects.

No way were they thinking like Paul calling women those names! He was a humble man; true to the KING. They, however, calling women these names, merely despise all things to do with black women! They would rather a woman comply to all a man desires, no matter how degrading it is. Thus, they are not right with the King. Holding your tongue is not degrading, but letting a man will you to doing anything, like accepting him marrying many women other than yourself? That's messed up! But they use Paul's words and King's marriages in the Bible to trick women, but being faithful to the KING does not mean accepting everything a man says, just because he's a man.

So, yeah, I don't let 'em get to me, but rather show patience because we all have ills to be worked out. And they may very well turn with a full heart to the Father, and I wouldn't think at all of their past injuries to me. I'd be happy for my brothers!

Again, thank you for explaining.

8. Kadijah

Kadijah Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +2,952

Then why, may I ask, do I see in FORUM after FORUM, thread after thread and post after post declaring Christianity to be the religion of idiots and race traitors? Answer me that, please. Even in this thread, the intelligence, the "progressiveness" of Christians is being slighted. The horse manure smells. REAL bad.

9. Angela22

United States
    Ratings:
    +3,317
    I never said they didn't post outside of their own forum; but within it, you cannot behave the same way as outside of it. Outside has more room, but each respect the others "specified" forums. That's all I'm tryna get across, lol

10. Kadijah

Kadijah Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +2,952
    Uh, gobbledegook much? Or are you saying Atheists can post anything they want negative about Christianity in forums other than the atheist forum, but I, ME, MOI cannot do as Athiests do outside of the Christianity forums? Wha.....?