Black People : What Black Lobbyists & CBC Members Mean When They Say “We Are Not A Monolith”

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by RAPTOR, Jun 29, 2014.

RAPTOR Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Sep 12, 2009
    by BAR managing editor Bruce A. Dixon
    When I hear the word monolith I think of the mumbling, floating slab of rock left
    behind by ancient extra terrestrials in the movie 2001: A Space Odyssey. Are black
    lobbyists & CBC members being mistaken for alien artifacts? If not, what does “we are
    not a monolith” mean in the mouths of black faces in high places?

What does it mean when current and former Congressional Black Caucus members like
    North Carolina's G.K. Butterfield and disgraced former Maryland Rep. Al Wynn, now a
    lobbyist for one of the firms that represent Wells Fargo and Goldman Sachs, sit down
    for a TV interview with ex-CBC staffer and current corporate lobbyist Angela Rye, and
    between them in a seven minute interview they declare three or four times that“We are
    not a monolith”?

When I hear “monolith” I think of the floating, murmuring slab of rock left behind by
    ancient aliens in the movie “2001: A Space Odyssey.” But still it's hard to believe
    people are really confusing black elected officials and lobbyists with artifacts left
    behind by space aliens. When these folks say “we are not a monolith” it simply means
    “We're under NO obligation to represent you, and we ain't even tryin' so
    quit pretendin' like we need to.”

Read more:“we-are-not-monolith”