Black People : What Black America Can Learn From China

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by Chinelo, Mar 18, 2010.

1. Chinelo

Chinelo Third Eye Is Always Open MEMBER

Removing LIES And Spreading The Truth
    Ratings:
    +1,632
    I found this article to be of value:

http://afgen.com/blacks_learn_china.html

Build Businesses and Prosper

By Robert N. Taylor

When it comes to China, the numbers are truly astounding. The Asian giant has the fastest growing economy in the world - averaging roughly 10 percent growth per year for the past 25 years. By way of contrast, if we in the United States grow by just three percent, our economists consider that good news.

In fact, China is growing so rapidly that it expects to build a city the size of New York City each year for the next twenty years. According to the World Bank, more than 600 million people have been pulled out of poverty over the past quarter century. For example, 53 percent of Chinese lived in poverty in 1981. By 2001, the poverty rate had dropped to just 8 percent.

Meanwhile, just in case you have been wondering where a nearly bankrupt America gets the money to fight needless wars and bailout banks and the automobile industry; the answer is China. The communist rulers of China are among the world’s biggest buyers of U.S. Treasury bonds and other debt instruments. Before our current economic crisis is over, we will easily owe the Chinese over one trillion dollars.

In sharp contrast to an advancing China is Black America. According to the Census Bureau (2007 figures), African Americans have the lowest median household income in the nation. Even native Alaskans (the people we normally call Eskimos) have a higher median household income than we do. The reason for the income gap is our lack of business ownership.

According to the Small Business Administration, Blacks have the lowest “business density” (number of businesses owned per 1,000 persons) in the nation. This means we can only grow economically if some other racial group engages in profit-making enterprise and then decides to hire us. Simply put, we are slaves to entrepreneurship of others.

China is the global economic power it is today because roughly 30 years ago, a short, chain-smoking, resilient revolutionary named Deng Xiaoping battled his way to leadership of the Communist Party and declared it was time to break with the old ways of doing things. He told a country where wealth was viewed as an evil that “To be rich is good.”

Deng broke with the stifling Stalinist ideology of Communist Party founder Mao Tse-tung and told his people dependence on government had to end and that they had to build profit-making enterprises in order to lift China’s then 800 million (now 1.3 billion) people out of poverty. Freed (or more appropriately “forced”) to think in new, enterprising ways the Chinese responded by building an economic powerhouse that is currently projected to overtake the U.S. by 2050 or sooner.

This is what we must do. Our lower classes are too dependent on welfare and handouts. Our middle classes are too dependent on “good” government jobs and our rich are little more than over paid entertainers and athletes who are intellectually incapable of providing economic leadership and only help the poor when it is to their tax advantage.

We have entered a post-Civil Rights period and must now struggle for Silver Rights. It must be an economic betterment struggle not targeted primarily at more government handouts but instead at building and growing businesses. Enterprise is the way to the future.

If we fail to build and grow businesses, it will make no difference who sits in the White House. We will remain dependent, first firedScience Articles, disrespected and living barely above poverty.

2. Knowledge Seed

Knowledge Seed Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +551
    Thanks for this article!

3. Sen - Res

Sen - Res Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Self-employed Herbalist
    Ratings:
    +67
    Grate article! Bro.Chinelo, I agreed with all that has been said by Robert N Taylor.

4. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,733
    another "model minority"?

i am quite tired of people putting the big ups on other groups and telling us to copy them. the chinese do not like us. the chinese do not respect us.
    the lesson we should be learning is to stop kissing the behinds of people who do not respect us.

this is the worse kind of self hating neocon garbage:

5. Knowledge Seed

Ratings:
    +551
    How is it "self hating neocon garbage?" Was Robert N Taylor lying when he said what you quoted?

6. jamesfrmphilly

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,733
    magic johnson?

dave bing? kevin johnson? arthur ashe? kareem abdul jabbar? micheal jordan?

yes he was lying, and that is why it is self hating.

7. Knowledge Seed

Ratings:
    +551
    Where's your proof that he was lying when he said "Our lower classes are too dependent on welfare and handouts. Our middle classes are too dependent on “good” government jobs...." The US government is, after all, the biggest employer in this country.

Do you have any example to counter both of his claims in the above sentences?

I appreciate the response you gave about "our rich are little more than over paid entertainers and athletes who are intellectually incapable of providing economic leadership......."

Maybe you noticed that he said "little more." Being that the people you named are not the majority of black athletes, your comment only serves to prove him right.

8. medusanegrita

medusanegrita Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +565
    What is 'neocon' and who is Robert N. Taylor?

Here, here. I'd like to the counter the claim that 'our lower classes are too dependent on welfare and handouts.' I admit it, I love some welfare. Welfare check, foodstamps, section 8, pell grants and scholarships, government loans, forgivable loans, housing-ownership programs, the whole 9. Whatever the government got to give or I can cheat it out of them - I WANT IT!

I'm sure those at the upper level strata of of the top 10% making more than 90% of Americans love it too with all the welfare perks they get. But I caint get the ones at the top, I can only get the ones at the bottom.

Now dependent on welfare - yes. But many who are on any type of welfare doll aren't content to be there all their lives. That is not where it will all end. And if we happen to make it to the middle class strata (upper, lower, or middle-middle), well some us aren't really content with 'good government jobs' either.

Here's an idea I got.

Black women (and some men) are always looking for the next best thing will grow their hair or make it manageable or do whatever. They put BILLIONS of $$ into the hair care industry - with regards to hair care and maintenance, fake hair, relaxers, and all that. Currently, the Arabs and the Asians are making a killing off of this industry on the backs of black and dark people that are nappy haired (relaxed or not - they are still nappy).

Now the time I spent on on hair care websites for the care and maintenance of natural hair, I learned a lot about natural and organic ingredients. I buy a lot of stuff online and mix it up. It's hit or miss but most everyone likes it regardless.

A lot of black people sell their stuff online, but when many black women go to buy a product, they want to be able to go to the nearest store to get it. Some still don't trust putting personal information online, or they don't want to wait out the delivery time. Now you go to a African owned shop for shea butter, it expensive - about $7 for a 2 ounces. I always get it cheaper online. Some products I can't even find in my neighborhood, gotta go online.

So why not have you a local store, buy your products in bulk online, and sell it at your store? We can buy buildings for to be cosmetolgogist and give black women relaxers, or sell liquor - why not a natural hair care shop that I'm sure will get business from relaxed women too?

BIGGER DREAMS -

Isn't Haiti in a subtropic region? I've looked high and I've looked low for something called 'mammy sapote oil' and have only recently found a supplier in the US. It's a fruit that grows in the more tropical or warmer regions. This little fruit and it's oil has the potential to bring all of Haiti (or the entire of island of Hispaniola) back to economic prosperity - it is just that dam good!

If China can make products and import it here to US with great economic success for their country - then Haiti and africa can import such things too - albeit you have to think a little outside the box in regards to their imports. But think about what types of jobs this would create as far as packaging, distribution, and importing with the American blacks, Africans, and those of the Carribeans?

There are a lot of white people on this board taking notes I'm sure - but it would behoove us to take notes as well. Those with money and potential have the power to do faster than someone on welfare - but you need ideas and knowledge outside of the mainstream basis.

I'm envious and admire the success of Asians, but I do not wish to emulate or be like them. I seek to be more like the Native Americans - a full functioning and independent nation within a nation. Yes, I understand the NA's aren't exactly 'full functioning and independent' but they are as close as they need to be and have the capacity to go a lot further. I wouldn't mind working in conjunction with the NA's, especially because they already got their own lands.

9. jamesfrmphilly

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,733
    khemet anyone?

black people will be successful when we stop looking to other "model minorities" for inspiration and instead study and learn from our own ancestors.

10. medusanegrita

medusanegrita Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +565
    What did they do for collective economic success? I'm not being sarcastic, I'm honestly asking. The old African kingdoms had a nice little bartering and exchange system going on. The selling of salt from the salt pans did ok, but that only now work in places like Timbuktu. Africa is being exploited, and Liberia is not currently living up to it's name of LIBERATION. None of Africa is - unless you count places like Dubai - which is in the Middle East and they are trying to say that's not in Africa. In any case, the Middle Eastern prosperity is doing nothing for Africa on the whole.

If you are talking about immediate ancestors, the only thing we have to go by was our economic success during Jim Crow. We were poorer collectively but our base ownership of businesses and black-owned institutions were higher. But it was segregation that was holding that in place. When segregation crumbled in favor if integration, a lot of black owned business and institutions failed because started getting in good with the white folks.

With nothing practical of our own to use as a successful economic model (outside of media and entertainment), that is why we look toward other so-called minorities who who are 'making it' collectively. We need to understand what they do and how they do it so we can get ideas.