Black Relationships : What are your thoughts on interracial dating?

Status
Not open for further replies.
asking a question?

from the majority of comments on this thread, it seems as if we are mostly referring to black/white relationships....why?

there are people of every colour in this world...black and white are only two of them...

personally, I like to think I am free enough to look past the colour of a persons skin and see what is in their heart...not what shade their skin is...

just a thought....

K

upon reflection

I would like to clarify my words above....

I did not in any way mean to imply that anyone who has posted before me has made a statement that is racist toward any other..
and I fully understand everyones comments...about two races coming together...

my thought was simply made from an observation that most people (including me) automatically combine a black male/female with a white male/female when thinking about inter-racial dating or marraiges...

I guess it's the same thinking that associates an asian woman with a white man, as a mail-order bride....as I have heard many people say...

we live in a world where a coloured skin automatically means you are a lesser human being in some peoples eyes...my eyes are colour blind..

so I'm hoping my words above did not offend anyone who has posted before me...

K

Blessed greetings...

Much thanks to you, Destee, for the very warm welcome. It is a pleasure being a part of this forum, and sharing thoughts on important issues. Previous post (???) was in response to he (Kemetstry).

Kitana~

Ironically, the fact that darkness of skin colour has been made to be a mark of inferiority tends to be the reason that many Ebony people (particularly men) focus their energies on uniting with caucasian mates. It is overcompensation for a mental and spiritual poverty that results from having an inferiority complex. The ultimate way to overcompensate is to gravitate to caucasians, not other people of COLOUR. The "black/white" focus is prevalent because they are polar opposites, and because "black/white" is by far the most common type of interracial match. For many understandable reasons, I suspect that most people don't have a problem with interracial dating among people of color, which is why that type of I/R is rarely examined. It's not nearly as big a deal.

At any rate...

Kemetstry-

Not ignoring your suggestion, but may I ask whether you know of more Ebony females or more Ebony males who are in or have been in I/Rs? Just curious. Moreover...

I would like to preface my next comment by stating that I am in NO WAY attempting to "justify" interracial relationships as held by Ebony females, but we must respect the fact that there is a disproportionate number of females on the planet vs. males, and specifically, a disproportionate number of Ebony females (far larger number) vs. Ebony males. That being the case, there are not enough Ebony men to go around for all the Ebony women who outnumber them. I like to think that the vast majority of us prefer a monogamous union. In short, if there are more of "us" in I/Rs, then the gender disproportion would explain that situation. Theoretically speaking, that is. I personally know full well that there are plenty of decent Ebony men out there who are single and available. So I am not saying that there is such a scarce number of "good black men" that we are forced to miscegenate. Also, there are more upwardly mobile Ebony women than Ebony men. That's not my opinion, but fact. I suspect that it is mostly the high socioeconomic status Ebony women who are in the I/Rs. I can only think of 5 Ebony women whom I know personally, that are with non-black men, and all five men are caucasian. One of the women is a news anchor, one a retired social worker, one I'm not sure of her occupation although she is my cousin, one (unmarried) directs a Reproductive Freedom organization, and the other peddles Mary Kay cosmetics (at the pink car level) and works also with securing employment for physically challenged persons. In that example, the class status varies, but I can think of countless Ebony males who are with non-Ebony women. The first one that comes to mind is my father, who is married to a white woman who is his third wife. Just looking through my family, there are all kinds of white faces (non-male) that got in via marriage or just shacking or just non-marital involvement. :bomb:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back