Black People : What are your favourite childhood memories

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by dunwiddat, Sep 22, 2012.

1. dunwiddat

dunwiddat Well-Known Member MEMBER

Barbados
    Ratings:
    +1,503
    (i)My favourite childhood memories included combing my grandmother's hair. She would talked to me about how she and my grandfather met. How they walked hand in hand during moonlight walks.

(ii)Going to school and walking home from school with my friends.

(iii)One of the greatest memory was meeting my friend at age 5 and she has become my best friend after all these years.

2. info-moetry

info-moetry STAFF STAFF

United States
    A+ technician
    Ratings:
    +6,486
    lol - when my grandmother would ask me to comb her hair or scratch her scalp, she would end up cursing me out because i wasn't doing it hard enough because i didn't want to hurt her. :10500:

I loved my beginning stages of learning the martial art's at a young age . It probably kept me out of a lot of trouble that some of my friends got into in those early years. :karate:

Being in the cub & boy scout's & 4H club (where i learned how to plant a garden). This is where i sharpened all of my skills in many different activities you had to go thru to get all of those merit badges. This is also where my love for nature began, having to sleep out in the woods and do everything from scratch for yourself, including making your own fires and sometimes fishing for your own food to clean and cook.... :cook:

3. dunwiddat

Barbados
    Ratings:
    +1,503
    Thanks for sharing. I believe those experience have influenced us to make us who we are today.

4. info-moetry

info-moetry STAFF STAFF

United States
    A+ technician
    Ratings:
    +6,486
    exactly. I still love to camp out in the woods, go canoeing & row boating (which is a great upper body work out) and love to swim.

When my son was younger (5 or 6) i would actually set up a tent in the living room for him to play in & sleep in, flashlight, sleeping bag and all & sometimes i would sleep in there too....lol

5. Corvo

Corvo navigator of live MEMBER

United States
    Furniture maker, a sculptor, and fight instructor
    Ratings:
    +1,771
    Jo brother that's great. You've got some skills. I did some of the same, not 4H. But I'm teaching my children the old camping skills, as well as shooting the bow and the use of the stick. congrads.

6. complexbrother

complexbrother Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +21
    I remember climbing my great uncle's tree (i had to be no more than 10 or 11) at his farm outside of Vicksburg Miss. with a book bag full of comicbooks and a couple of pb&j sandwiches, and just relaxing and reading for hours.

The day when my 4 best friends and I just got on our bikes and just ...rode . No destination just for the joy of it, we ended up riding around Buckingham fountain (in Chicago) and down Lake Shore Drive .

My grandfather was a cross country truck driver for some major musical promoter. I was out of school for the summer, and Papaw invited me to ride with him for a couple weeks, we rode from one coast to another, I got to meet top musical stars (New Edition, Teddy Pentagrass, Marvin Gaye, LL Cool J, Heavy D, Levert, ect ) but the highlight was the time we spent together in the cab just laughing and him imparting some very valuable life lessions ( that I use in my everyday life today. ).

7. info-moetry

info-moetry STAFF STAFF

United States
    A+ technician
    Ratings:
    +6,486
    yeah, i did the bow and arrow thing, rifles and stuff in boyscout camp over the summers and in high school. i never really adapted to weapons though, other than for the knowledge of how to use them if u needed to. i'm more of a hand to hand type. i think kung fu theatre on channell five spoiled me back in the day. lol

8. SlickBeast

SlickBeast Well-Known Member MEMBER

Australia
    Programmer/Game developer
    Ratings:
    +361
    My best memory is when I became fully conscious of this world. I was spinning and then I stopped and the world seemed to have frozen into a picture. I lived in a bay flanked by high hills. There was my dog, some kind of white Alsatian mutt, the sun was setting and the hills were golden. My mom and dad were cleaning a fish at the tap. The sea right down in front of me, beautiful and blue. This is when I fully became aware of this world. Before that my memory is fractured.

9. legit-writer

legit-writer Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,189
    doing just about anything with my biological mom. from age 3, she used to let me hang out with her and her girlfriends. she used to confide in me the good, and bad. we used to watch soap operas together. she used to talk about me to her friends all the time. i miss the bond me and her had, since i was her only girl out of the 4 children she had. i miss that special treatment I got. although she signed her parental rights and my brothers and I ended up in foster care, i will forever cherish the bond my mother and I once had.

10. dunwiddat

Barbados
    Ratings:
    +1,503
    Bonding with a mother is a beautiful thing. My mom died 36 years ago and I still miss her. She knew the meaning of love..