Black People : What are we thinking?

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by NNQueen, Nov 26, 2003.

1. NNQueen

NNQueen going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    I have often heard Black people described as behaving like "crabs in a barrell." I've even used that term from time-to-time to describe how we oftentimes don't support each other or feel good for those who achieve certain goals in life.

Many times, I hear people say that Black people are extremely jealous of each other, particularly, if one of us has more than another. Sometimes slavery is given as a reason why this is, comparing house slaves with field slaves and how they were treated. Is this true about us?

Have you ever felt or know someone Black that disliked it or even got upset and gossiped about someone they knew who had more 'good' fortune than they did? Have you ever been jealous if someone you knew got a promotion, bought a house or new car, paid off a bill or even lost weight?

What about when some Black people get suspicious and become cynical of us who charge a fee for our services as though there is something wrong for Black people to sell their ideas or services? Do you know Black people like that? "Look at him, why is he charging us for this cheap thing when he should be giving it away free?" Have you ever thought like that then gone and bought the exact same thing from the Korean or white man's store next door?

Have you ever thought of Black people as 'selling out' or being less conscious, if they are entrepreneurs and create a service for us, about us, but may solicit financial support from other Blacks to continue to offer their services? Why is it okay for whites to make money (and I didn't say get rich) but not Blacks?

Many of us even question ministers who pass the collection plate more than once or beg every Sunday for their congregation to tithe when they are often living well, and in some instances, far better than the members of his/her church. Should Black ministers be more humble in their lifestyle because of their 'calling'?

I've heard some Black business owners say that Black people expect to be given things for free or as cheap as we can get them from our own people. Could this be true and if so, then where are Blacks spending all of their collective wealth?

When you own something and invite others to enjoy it, but you set standards for how it should be used, are you wrong for doing that? Do you lose your right to dictate how you want your 'gift' to be used when you let others enjoy it? If you don't like the 'rules', is it better to simply not accept the gift and move on, or to try to destroy the gift so that others can't use it either?

2. HODEE

HODEE Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    (RF) Technician
    ( Alonewolf ) California.. by way of the LOU
    Ratings:
    +795
    So True in many aspects

Queen it's hard because I have seen or heard of all these storys. I have been guilty in some respects. When I was younger.. And in some cases I had reason to believe what took place justified my action. No matter where I shop, if I pick up an item. I look for the price. I then proceed to purchase it. I expect to pay the price on the ticket. I did have a encounter with a black merchant that told me that the price was incorrect. As I do in every case. I request that they honor this mistake, and it's up to them to correct the pricing on the remainder of the product. If the merchant refuses to sell me the item. I can't force the issue. I pay the new price if I choose to or decline to buy the item. This black merchant not only refused to honor the request, but started getting very upset, and angry that I asked. It is something you have to be involved in to understand. But he made me feel very uneasy, and I never shopped there again. I told others not to shop there.

The jealousy thing I don't understand. I do know that it is a selfish attitude that many people I knew.. and I say knew because I no longer associate for this very reason. I had one friend he was white.. he got mad because I was going off to college. My black friends got mad because I had my first car at 16, and always worked. They told me I worked too much. So I never let them ride, and eventually quit hanging with them. One of them tried to get even by having me bullied and jumped by some new friends.. but it back-fired. I know some adults that still ( hate ) and get jealous.. it crosses lines as far as race goes.

Another friend that has done it recently is Spanish. Someone jabbed a screw driver into the side of my new car. Only minutes after I showed it to him. I only knew of two people at work that had the mentality.. he was and still is the #1 suspect. So I don't associate with him any more.

No such thing as selling out. There are those that will betray you. Know the truth.. and when the discrimnation agency comes.. they turn into house negroes..If that is selling out Then it is termed correctly. I understand them to some degree. Everybody has to weigh thier obligations and ability to find other work.. you may be terminated for the act of speaking up. I speak up, and worry later. I don't want to work anywhere there is Injustice.. cause it only gets worse. The plan is to harrass and terminate anyway.. so I speed things along. I don't want them wasting my time.

I don't set standards when I let someone use my stuff.. but I expect them to take care and not tear it up. In gift giving.. I just give it and don't give a second thought about it.

These are all good questions.

3. happy69

happy69 Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5
    Interestingly...

True and Not So True.

We are and aren't all of the things that you subscribe. Our very history is a testament to these things about ourselves...

It is mindthink. We still believe that what is not Black is always better than Black--- It makes no difference if we create it. Example: Jazz, R & B, Rap etc... American Culture(.)

But, there is some truth to some of what the other side says too. Why, sometimes Blacks feel that they can provide a lesser service to other Blacks?
    Example:(don't laugh) But sometimes I crave Churches Chicken... okay, sometimes when I go to buy, the workers (Blacks) think that it is okay to give me cold chicken, or think that they can get away with not giving me what I want because they don't want to take out the time to cook what I want. Yet, in the White areas, the workers (Blacks) would never even think of doing such.

Or why do some Blacks feel that you are obligated to pay them more for a service that you may get from another for cheaper money? This is tricky, I know, because sometimes Blacks have to pay more to provide the service... and in that case we (consumers) have to weigh what is right for us at that time?

There is a percentage of Blacks who feel that Blacks can only do certain kinds of things, and should not dream about doing things that they fathom are not "Black."
    I remember talking to some Blacks years ago saying that I wanted to write a book--- they looked at me as if I was crazy. I remember internalizing all the Black people who told me when I got a motorbike that I was going to kill myself, and had two accidents right after that.

In the workplace. I think that you have to stand up for yourself and yourself only. If something is wrong or out of place, speak up (you have to live with you). Trust no one with your inner thoughts; and never expect anyone of any color to have your back--- because they will not. I don't think that you should expect them to, and vis-a-vis. When it comes to jobs and the like, there aren't many of any color or ethnicity willing to stand with another-- as stated people have to weigh their own circumstances. I have found that if you stand up for yourself and don't worry about what could happen; it works better. I have found in my dealings that I actually find respect - especially from Whites, and Blacks will tell me that I am crazy. Yet, when something comes down on them, they slink away, hating themselves for letting themselves be humiliated or mistreated, etc... sometimes hating you, because you are not them, and you respect yourself enough to demand a certain degree of respect--- it is strange how that happens, but it happens everyday! Plus, I think that many of us, Black people mistake someone liking you for respecting you. If they laugh with us, we think they like us or respect us-- and cannot understand when and if they humiliate us, fire us, undercut us--- and in the case of Micheal Jackson, for example, or Kobe Bryant for example, or OJ for example--- TRY TO DESTROY US. Again, Whites don't just do this to us-- We do too.

There are times in my life when for no reason other Blacks have disliked me; and I don't know them and they don't know me. I take people how they come. I am respectful of all, but I don't waste myself on anyone. I will not speak. I will not be in your presence. You will be invisible. But, then somehow, one way or another - maybe something will happen... and that person would talk to me, or start coming into my space, hanging around. That pisses me off, and I have to tell them, "I am the same person you walked by and never spoke to; the same person you took a negative attitude towards without even knowing... etc... I have nothing against you or anything, but let's keep it that way." It may not be fair, but to be truthful, I treat mainly Blacks in this manner--- because whereas I understand that no one has to like me or care about me; maybe I am a bit naive, I guess a part of me still expect us to be better towards each other--- and others I don't care, because I don't expect them to know better or do better?

4. Angela22

Angela22 Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +3,317
    Yes, I've known black people to have been envious and covetous of another black person gaining more ground in this world than they have, themselves. And I've been envious before, mostly within my own family, but have shed that attitude because it doesn't profit me nor them. It's just wrong.

I've known many black people to talk bad about another because they wanted something for free when the person selling was just trying to make a living. Even if it was something quality and they sold it for cheap, I've seen people complain. Instead of being grateful, they tear a person down, and in doing so sometimes make them resentful of selling to those like themselves. There has been a need for more encouragement rather than insult.

I never think of any black person as selling out on being black just because they make money. You are whatever color you are, and no amount of money in this world is going to make that otherwise. It'll corrupt your values, if not watchful, but your color will remain the same.

Because of a ministers calling, I believe they have a duty to not trick those following them nor take money from those that have not much at all. Collection back then were pretty much, all of one certain church pooling all money together, and the leader giving out as much as all needed for whatever reason; whether it be a little or a lot, whatever was needed for a member, they were not denied. It was a family doing for each other, but now many use the money for themselves and appearances, rather than bailing out the members who are in need. It is supposed to be for everyone, not just for the minister and his lifestyle. They've made it a business rather than a family.

To live humbly in means is according to if the Father wants. Some are meant to be richer than others because the Father wants them to help their brothers and sisters. Not all are required to live the same exact lifestyle.

When I own something and invite others to enjoy it, I'd rather them keep it up nicely than handle it any kind of way so that enjoy may be prolonged, but not because money was spent on it. What's mine is my brothers and sisters, so I hardly set a rule to how they should handle it, but I do try to lead by example how not to treat something given or shared. For others setting rules, I believe it should be respected, and if not liked, then one shouldn't partake in what they offer.

5. Keita Kenyatta

Keita Kenyatta going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

Ratings:
    +3,382
    I sew ankhs, utchets, (eye of Heru) afrakas and other Afrakan artifacts and am good at it....but I've never even posted or promoted that here on this site. People on the street be trying to buy the ones that I wear but when I first started, I ran into this mentality also.

6. Orisons

Orisons Well-Known Member MEMBER

United Kingdom
    Mechanical Designer/Project Manager
    Ratings:
    +599
    "NNQueen, post: 174996, member: 36" have often heard Black people described as behaving like "crabs in a barrell." I've even used that term from time-to-time to describe how we oftentimes don't support each other or feel good for those who achieve certain goals in life.

Many times, I hear people say that Black people are extremely jealous of each other, particularly, if one of us has more than another. Sometimes slavery is given as a reason why this is, comparing house slaves with field slaves and how they were treated. Is this true about us?

Have you ever felt or know someone Black that disliked it or even got upset and gossiped about someone they knew who had more 'good' fortune than they did? Have you ever been jealous if someone you knew got a promotion, bought a house or new car, paid off a bill or even lost weight?

What about when some Black people get suspicious and become cynical of us who charge a fee for our services as though there is something wrong for Black people to sell their ideas or services? Do you know Black people like that? "Look at him, why is he charging us for this cheap thing when he should be giving it away free?" Have you ever thought like that then gone and bought the exact same thing from the Korean or white man's store next door?

Have you ever thought of Black people as 'selling out' or being less conscious, if they are entrepreneurs and create a service for us, about us, but may solicit financial support from other Blacks to continue to offer their services? Why is it okay for whites to make money (and I didn't say get rich) but not Blacks?

Many of us even question ministers who pass the collection plate more than once or beg every Sunday for their congregation to tithe when they are often living well, and in some instances, far better than the members of his/her church. Should Black ministers be more humble in their lifestyle because of their 'calling'? Why should we sanction these overly sanctimonious and sometimes out and out hypocritical truly despicable PARASITES bleeding our community while utilizing the Creator as a shield?

I've heard some Black business owners say that Black people expect to be given things for free or as cheap as we can get them from our own people. Could this be true and if so, then where are Blacks spending all of their collective wealth?

When you own something and invite others to enjoy it, but you set standards for how it should be used, are you wrong for doing that? Do you lose your right to dictate how you want your 'gift' to be used when you let others enjoy it? If you don't like the 'rules', is it better to simply not accept the gift and move on, or to try to destroy the gift so that others can't use it either?

Which is all very interesting, but what do you KNOW of the GAP community of Tulsa circa 1920, Rosewood, the manner in which Dr Malakai York has been imprisoned so as to leave the Nuwabians headless, who was ever convicted of murdering Malcolm X, Dr Martin Luther King, Biggie Smalls and Tupac Shakur? Can you see a pattern here?

The rationale that non whites in general, we peoples of African ethnicity specifically, are under threat (FEAR) permeates every aspect of our daily lives, isn’t the grief integral with surviving in this so hostile environment the real source of the rifts between men and women/Africans in Africa and Africans in the Diaspora which includes the USA and all the diverse array of Socio-economic dysfunction still crippling our communities and countries in the 21st century?

Isn’t the difficult behaviour within our communities symptomatic of the residual trauma of the catastrophic defeat we have collectively received over the last 500 years in our ongoing war (during which our enslaved ancestors and their tortured, mutilated and murdered siblings were systematically CRUSHED) with Semites, and White Supremacist Racist Caucasians [that has left all of us UNWELL, isn’t the only variable just how severely crippled we are and how the damage manifests], which has never ever been openly declared has it, THEY JUST DO IT?

Do you know why military combatants are always debriefed after combat operations generally, wars specifically?

Without debriefing it would be virtually impossible for the combatants to regain their psychic balance particularly after bloody combat/a prolonged traumatic experiences and shocks. Don’t they also subsequently receive whatever psychotherapy is required to make them whole?

Contrast that with the non-existent psychotherapy we (in the UK, USA, the rest of the Diaspora and Africa) have received (in conjunction with the fact that they have never acknowledged the wrong, or said sorry) after surviving the sadistically Genocidal HOLAUCAST perpetrated by Europeans (against non Caucasians in general Africans in particular) on us over the last 500 years; whereas isn’t the current WAR ON TERROR an attempt to finish us off [enslave ALL of Humanity including their own lower echelons this time]?

Isn’t one of our major problems a very strategically maintained (by the LUCIFERIAN LUNATICS/POWER ELITE currently dominating and decimating the planet and their lackeys of many hues) lack of accurate information, coupled with a total lack of vision and strategic planning from our (very easily spiritually/intellectually challenged Boulé dominated, and either unaware or interested in the WAR we're in) totally dysfunctional socio-economic elite?

Isn’t ANYONE who genuinely believes they are not programmed;
    graphically illustrating that their programming is COMPLETE?

7. dunwiddat

dunwiddat Well-Known Member MEMBER

Barbados
    Ratings:
    +1,503

I have heard this too...but I think we need to realise that this is a statement which black people tend to apply to blacks. Greed, coveteousness and bad attitudes ....these are character traits that apply to ALL races... By saying this are we saying that we have an inherent social disease where evil is denoted as a BLACK THING. The behaviour mentioned is human behaviour. Perhaps our slave condition is responsible. White folks and other ethnic groups, behave in the same way as the one described above. The fact is we do not interact with other races so we do not know what they do. White folks rob, cheat, are envious, evict their parents etc. I think it is time we remove this kind of thinking from our minds. How do we know that other ethnic groups do not behave this way.

8. Orisons

Orisons Well-Known Member MEMBER

United Kingdom
    Mechanical Designer/Project Manager
    Ratings:
    +599
    EXACTLY!

How are our lower echelons/underclass any more consistently stupid than the lower echelons elsewhere on this planet in general, the White Trash right here in the USA specifically?

Don’t we also have the ongoing GRIEF of the so despicably cowardly WAR on non-whites in general, the peoples of African ethnicity specifically, as underlined by the manner in which [the GAP community of Tulsa/one of the richest communities in the USA at that time, were destroyed on the 1st June 1921] our icons are destroyed [how many people know that Joe Louis was only reduced to poverty/begging because he gave his two largest purses direct to the War Effort in WWII, only to be subsequently pursued for the tax on those purse by the IRS/bankrupting him], our leaders executed like Malcolm X, Dr Martin Luther King, Khalid Mohammed or imprisoned unfairly like Mumia Al Jamal and Malaki York?

Isn’t ANYONE who genuinely believes they are not programmed;
    graphically illustrating that their programming is COMPLETE?