Black People : What are the Keys?

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by Blackbird, Feb 6, 2014.

1. Blackbird

Blackbird Well-Known Member MEMBER

Professional Hitman
    Ratings:
    +1,820
    What are the key areas we need to focus on, in terms of development, for our people?

You can prioritize if you wish.

Please explain in a list format with explanation. Also include ways to accomplish each.

Thanks in advance.

2. Blackbird

Professional Hitman
    Ratings:
    +1,820
    No thoughts?

3. Angela22

Angela22 Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +3,317

I had some, but they're too jumbled and racing.

Plus, I'd like to see someone more experienced post their thoughts.

4. HODEE

HODEE Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    (RF) Technician
    ( Alonewolf ) California.. by way of the LOU
    Ratings:
    +795
    Blackbird

Development has to start within. Were we robbed of our Desire to Dream?
    Slavery took more than Freedom but isn't freedom a state of mind.
    I have noticed that White Americans if they don't understand the language your speaking. lf you speak Chinese, or Vietnamese. They respect them more. When they are at work they are chatting about personal things. The boss never tells them to keep quiet. If I start a conversation and it is not work related I am wasting time.

We need to learn another language. Chinese or Japanese would be helpful as far as getting work. We could be translators for those corporate groups. They pay quite a bit and we would travel as well. We need to get beyond our block and see the world.

If your on the East Coast and never have been to the West Coast, vice-versa_or Traveled to Hawaii ( Hawaii has Over 100 plus the eight main islands _ some are restricted . The natives wear nothing. ) your missing some travel in life. Go get your Hula on.

5. Blackbird

Professional Hitman
    Ratings:
    +1,820
    Indeed without the freedom to dream and conceptualize, nothing can be accomplished.

Experiences are very important in freeing someone from the bondages of limited thinking. My experiences have definitely molded me, like everyone else, into the person I am today.

6. Blackbird

Professional Hitman
    Ratings:
    +1,820
    I ask for assistance from others to the answers to this original question.

Also what pitfalls or challenges do we face in becoming more self-sufficient?

This thread is intended to be a serious thread where there are not wrong or right answers... just thoughts?

7. Omowale Jabali

Omowale Jabali The Cosmic Journeyman PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Creative Industrialist
    Ratings:
    +9,585
    1. Health and wellness. We suffer from deep seated trauma, self hatred and living in a toxic environment for nearly 500 years (outside of Afrika) has exposed us to a myriad of dis-eases.

2. Personal fitness. Self explanatory. See above.

3. Restructuring our family structures and kinship relations. The nuclear family was not designed for us and will never work for us. Honor the Elders and Ancestors. Make educating the youth a priority. Honor familial relations above all things.

4. Cultural, economic and political empowerment. I view the first three as pre-requisites. I will not debate my points. I'm listing the plan I have developed and this is the plan I am following, based on where I am at in my present cycle and stage of life.

8. Blackbird

Professional Hitman
    Ratings:
    +1,820
    Uncle,

Thank you for your input. It is greatly appreciated. Unlike some of my other recent threads with a little more fire, my intent for this one is not to debate or prove wrong anyone's thoughts and ideas. I created this thread in the spirit of love, sharing, exploring and inspiring.

That said your comments inspired a little brainstorming.

1. Health is very essential because without good health what do we really have. Based on your submission, I see the need for more engaging community health fairs that address a wide range of medical and psychological conditions. Maybe a health awareness campaign is in order. Not saying they do not already exist but perhaps something updated that encourages more widespread acceptance and participation.

2. Fitness, as you noted, falls underneath health and wellness. One thought my wife had is encouraging more physically taxing dance. We watch the documentary on crump dancing a few nights ago. Our third time seeing it. My wife noticed how toned and physically fit those kids looked. I can see crump style exercise regimens to advance fitness ideals. I like the fact that it's born out of the Black experience of urban youth in LA as a way of self expression. I also liked how the documentary tied the cultural similarities to Africa, if even just the mechanics.

3. Family is paramount to anything we do as a people. A healthy nation begins with a healthy family which in turn is made up of healthy individuals. I envision community celebrations where the focus is on family. We could encourage more picnics, family reunions, development of our individual family stories and identification with positive elements. I also see uplifting the elders in the community by hosting intergenerational functions. Encouraging our youth to develop a mindset of assisting the elderly whenever possible like the way I was raised and so many of those older than me. Giving the elders a voice and respecting their wisdom, experiences and knowledge.

4. Cultural, political and economic activities definitely. Starting festivals in the name of Harriet Tubman, Nat Turner, Richard Allen and others or taking hallmarks of our cultural legacy to celebrate like quilting. Economic activities I see are like Susu based associations where membership dues or donations are collected for peer lending, the establishment of community land trusts. Example: in some places in the South, one can purchase 5+ acres for as little as $30, 000. Imagine the feasibility of acquiring property like this with 5 to 10 members putting up as little as $3000 a piece.

There is more I wish to say but my time is short at the moment. Again my suggestions are not me saying this is the way to go but inspired thoughts that came to me.

9. Blackbird

Professional Hitman
    Ratings:
    +1,820
    I am guilty of this so I am talking to myself as well; but if we shared ideas more instead of arguing and debating opinions or constantly bickering over why someone else is wrong, I believe we would be amazed at the amount of progress we can make in the least amount of time.

Also taking from my corporate america days, we should strive to always be solution focused by objectively looking at and identifying the problem, determining the etiology of it and the effects the problem has on favorable outcomes. I like using the Ishikawa diagram to define a problem and develop possible solutions to address it.

Another is tackling the low hanging fruit first or selecting the tasks that require the least amount of effort with the greatest impact. Doing as little as possible for maximum benefit. Expenditure vs outcome ratio.

10. Blackbird

Professional Hitman
    Ratings:
    +1,820
    Anybody else would like to share?