Black Women : What are the Consequences of Abortion ?

Discussion in 'Black Women - Mothers - Sisters - Daughters' started by Destee, Mar 7, 2010.

1. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,686
    Peace and Blessings Family,

It was recently suggested that abortion should be used as birth control ... and i guess it is being used in that manner.

But it was presented as though it was some light-weight, easy to make decision ... with no real consequence.

It seems to me, the light-weight decision would be not to have the sex that produces the unwanted pregnancy.

Once one has thrown away that opportunity, and are faced with an unwanted pregnancy ... things only get more difficult.

Oftentimes, men want to put abortion on the table, as a viable option ... pressuring the woman into this.

It seems there is a greater emotional, spiritual, life enduring consequence for women, if they kill the child in their womb.

Some Brothers seem to feel no consequence as a result of an abortion ... and perhaps this is because they never carry the child.

There are women too, that seem to have no conscious regarding such a decision, but i think they are the exception and not the rule.

Are there physical, emotional, spiritual, life enduring consequences for killing your own child ... even when the Father and State says it's okay?

Or is it simply another form of birth control, a convenient way to cover up your poor decision making, that just happens to cost the life of your own child?

I think there are great consequences, perhaps even, above and beyond the challenge of possibly raising the child alone.

What do you think?

Thanks in advance Family.

:heart:

Destee

2. blkbutterfly41

blkbutterfly41 Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +483
    Well from some women this is an very touchy subject. This is my POV and the reasons why.

Before abortions were legal so many women lost there lives by having botched up abortions in a dirty room. By so called "doctors" and had no regulations on how the abortions was performed. The few that survived were never able to have children.

I agree that these days where the slew of birth control is widely available that so many women take it lightly. And very little is done to prevent pregnancy in the first place.

In my humble opinion abortion is not the problem but Thats just on the surface. Low morality, low value of life, and sexual promiscuity which are the biggest problem and THAT needs to be addressed.

If women thought highly of themselves and their bodies. They would not be having JUST SEX with just any guy.

Self worth

I am for women's right to choose but prefer to re-educate self and all women of color. Set an higher standard of morality, self love, and Spiritual awareness.

Our body is our temple and if we don't recognize THAT how can expect any dude too ??

So I short , And there are many circumstances where as that personal choice is warranted and justified.

However for those that use abortion as a means of birth control IMHO. It's un human, lazy, and barbaric.

I also like to say this : Men are not the determining factor with the igh rate of abortions. We , Women , own this all by ourselves. Let me explain.

1- We are not forced to have unprotected sex .
    2- Its our bodies. Means it's our responsiblities.

Freedom of choice. And we will deal with the consequences If we, women, don't spend the time to get to know a dude before UNPROTECTED sex.

No offense sister, but HIV is taking us out in droves. Abortion will soon be the least of our problems if sisters don't learn their worth. And don't learn how to love themselves deeply.

My 2 cents.

Peace

3. Workinprocess

Workinprocess Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +223

"In my humble opinion abortion is not the problem but Thats just on the surface. Low morality, low value of life, and sexual promiscuity which are the biggest problem and THAT needs to be addressed.

If women thought highly of themselves and their bodies. They would not be having JUST SEX with just any guy".

Sorry but the above does not seem to be well thought out. You seem to be blaming the women and what you say puts me in the ind of a witch hunt.

What makes you think that women who have abortions are promiscuous, low in morals and don't value their bodies? What about the married woman who is loyal to her husband but already has ten children and doesn't want anymore, not because she does not value life, but because the society we live in, does not value life. If that woman was to have her 10th child and was not able to take care of it, even though she has a two parent household, who in the society is going to pitch in and help that family? Then there is the issue of trust, who can this family trust to help them, and not exploit them? The group homes are filled with unwanted children, what community is coming to the rescue of those children?

"Our body is our temple and if we don't recognize THAT how can expect any dude too ??"

Are you saying that a promiscuous woman who has abortions, is the only one at fault, that the promiscuous man who slept with her is exempt from fault?

"However for those that use abortion as a means of birth control IMHO. It's un human, lazy, and barbaric"

Birth control is birth control, regardless of the method. Also, it's one thing to point fingers and call people barbaric, lazy and un human but it's another thing to actually be proactive, to prevent people from falling prey to what you perceive un human, lazy and barbaric. There are many sistas out there having abortions, some of them are even related to us, belonging to the same tree as we.

"I also like to say this : Men are not the determining factor with the igh rate of abortions. We , Women , own this all by ourselves. Let me explain.

1- We are not forced to have unprotected sex .
    2- Its our bodies. Means it's our responsiblities."

It takes two to have procreative sex, male and female. Man was not forced to have unprotected sex either my friend. Your statements are real witch hunty. I hope that you are not a woman... smh

In response to the number 2 part of your statement... If your ideology is what ruled, I feel sorry for the several women who have conceived children by way of rape... smh

Maybe you are an Arab Muslim, in which if you are, that would be the only reason why I could understand your statements. If you are a Muslim, I will understand and withdraw from any further comment on your posts regarding this subject.

W.I.P :whip:

4. blkbutterfly41

Ratings:
    +483

5. Josef

Josef Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Electrical wiring tech
    Ratings:
    +411
    many factors...

you will of course have some who cannot afford to have kids, or even more kids and either used protection, or had an oops that resulted in a pregnancy..

it does and will continue to be used as a form of BC

ther are those who have been raped, or were told that the baby will have birth defect, and complications which swayes the agruement a bit..

I say let the those who are in that circumstance at that time, decide

6. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,686
    Peace and Blessings Family,

This thread really isn't about the history of abortions, or if a woman should have one, or even the character of the women that choose them.

No one has spoke about the consequences yet, and that's what i was asking about in this thread.

While we're on the topic, another question comes to mind from what's been shared above.

Do men have any consequence for the death of their child, if they paid for the abortion or encouraged it?

Or do they get off scott free ... except perhaps the cost of the abortion itself?

I'm really wanting to know your opinions regarding the consequences to the woman's being ... or even any collective consequence ... after making such a decision.

Do you think there are any consequences to the man or woman, for making such a choice?

Thanks everyone for sharing thus far.

Much Love and Peace.

:heart:

Destee

7. Josef

Josef Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Electrical wiring tech
    Ratings:
    +411
    try to keep from looking back...:car:

8. blkbutterfly41

Ratings:
    +483
    The topic will flow upstream . It's an sensitive topic more so for women as you can see.

The personal consequences will differ as the circumstances that surrounds an abortion. Some are justified and too many are simply not, in my opinion.

As for my counterparts , if a woman becomes pregnant and he pays to have an abortion. He then becomes responsible as well. How much ????

Hmmmmmmmmm

Again, Even if he was dead against it. He couldn't legally stop a woman from actually having one.

So in my opinion based on that , He has limited responsibilty. All things are not equal so we can't make/force the circumstances or the consequences equal.

For the ladies that think that men hold equal responsiblity, and should be held equally responsible and should suffer the same consequences as the woman. Then lets see them give those rights to their unborn child to that man as well ??

We both know that is not going to happen. I can hear the ladies screaming !!!! lol

The consequences anyone actually suffers I doubt that any body will actually know. But by looking at our gender division , and warp sense of values , and misguided direction and almost non existant family structure. I think we are all paying that debt and suffering the consequences to an extent.

We live in a society that promotes sex , sex, sex and not what an relationship entails more less family foundational roots and what that entails.

The value of the life of a unborn baby that is snuffed out because of inconvience. When we have safe procedures of birth control to prevent an pregnancy is at a low rate of consideration.

Now we have so many that look at abortion as birth control ( As you can see with the young ladies above comment ) and it shouldn't be.

But please know that its a moral behavior pattern. But if we had high moral values we wouldn't be having un protected sex outside of our partners, More less in a perdictament that warrents abortion. ( This is an general statement with the majority setting the pace not the minority )

Like I said earlier , to discuss what are the consequences we must know all of the information. That's virtually impossible and too broad of a paint brush.

TO ME that's an mute discussion. But to get to the root of the problem to stop us from killing our most prized gems. We have to go deeper, and everybody should step it up as it relates to unplan , unwanted pregnancies. And killing life where as the means are available to prevent that life in the first place.

It's 2010 people. You mean to tell me that we can't prevent pregnancy if we REALLY don't want children ??

ie- Malcolm X's parents had too many kids and they couldn't take care of them. If abortions was readily available then. Where will we be ??

We now do to ourselves what other used to.

Peace

9. Bootzey

Bootzey Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Don't Ask
    Ratings:
    +864
    At the end of the day the decision rests on the woman's shoulders. She laid down, she is the one pregnant, she is the one making the decision to terminate her pregnancy. I find today's woman far to comfortable with abortion, but that is the nature of the society we live in.

I remember reading that in the Soviet union abortion is so prevalent that they give little if any anesthesia for the first abortion. Does that sound like a better option?

10. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,178
    There is consequences when taking this step , it goes upon the woman as well as the man
    Abortion is indeed a step of destruction / namely REDRUM backwards
    I can't understand why men have really no say to what happen to thy unborn / child to be
    as the weight falls all upon the woman which don't have to be , but many choose it to be, I agree
    that women today use abortion as birth control
    I think when making such decision you have to weight in with heart body and soul
    Death be not to the life set forth , who has the rites to destroy / taketh / kill new
    life ...I will forever fight against Abortion !
    Let us all think we wouldn't be if we had to come under the scope of Abortion
    where would our nation be ........it simple plain cold blooded MURDER !!!