Black People : WHAT ARE THE BLACK CHURCHES/BLACK MOSQUES OBLIGATIONS TO THE AFRICAN COMMUNITY???

Isaiah said:
WOW, Kente, that is a devastating statement if there ever was one!!! And I aint gonna touch it, though I know what you are talking about(smile!) Another way of expressing it might be, "pies up in the skies", but I'm not much of a poet(smile!)

Interstingly enough, Kente and Karma, I included the mosques up in this question so as to not start any melodrama about discrimmination against Christians... Mosques in my community, not only OWN businesses, but their members OWN businesses, and are strongly encouraged to open their own businesses...

This is not so in the Christian Church... There are select African American churches around the country that preach and teach this kind of do-for-self independence, but there are too few of them... The ministers are all too satisfied and content to "pimP" the collection plate, and all too happy to keep the church 90% female so as to not have to face challenges from other Black Men... It is a formula that has been in place for well over 100 years in the African American community... Churches full of Women, and no men up in there but a preacher and a picture of White Jesus... The churches, themselves, have become quite successful in the midst of a lot squalor. One wonders why, but it has much to do their narrow focus...

Black Churches obligation to the African American community is located right there in their good book... Feed the hungry, clothe the naked, and provide shelter to the homeless... That is what Jesus said his followers should do... Therefore, there is no excuse for not doing so... With the millions that are raised by, for example, the National Black Baptist Convention, we should have Black Banks in every major city in the United States, and no African American with decent credit, and a reasonable downpayment, should have to worry about a mortgage loan... There should be no vacant lots in our communities with the kind of money that passes through our churches... It has the resources to solve a lot of issues, but its focus is on the sky, not here on earth...

Peace!
Isaiah

I agree Isaiah, I'm not familiar with mosques, so I decided not to open my mouth regarding them, but the Christian Churches are responsible for building the community more than anyone. If they aren't going to do that, what good are they? That's the reason why so many men don't mess with church, because they don't want to sit there and be preached to by a pimp. On the other hand, black women seem to sit there and eat it up. I think one of the things that stiffle progress for black people is the church, because once you start thinking that God and Jesus will take care of everything, you'll just sit on your butt and wait for them to do it. That's the mindset of a lot of christians too. It's rediculous. I have never met a christian that was interested in the real progression of black people. Yeah, they acknowledge our struggles, but that's about the extent of it. They all seem to have that "I give up" attitude. That "I'll wait for the lord to save me" attitude. Black people would not be struggling if these d@mn churches did their job. Pastor needs to stop looking at all the booty and start looking at what's going on in the community. On the flip-side, all the church goers need to stop trying to buy their way into heaven.

I think some men don't like church because they don't like the idea of submitting their power to the unseen 'Higher Authority.' Not that I blame them because I don't really want to submit my power to that being either, nor do I want to spend half of my Sunday getting preached at how I'm going to hell when I'm a relatively good/moral person.

karmashines said:
nor do I want to spend half of my Sunday getting preached at how I'm going to hell when I'm a relatively good/moral person.

You know, I've always questioned Christians that I know on this right here. I tell them, "you say your god is a loving god, but will kill good people just because they exercise their free will (free will given by god) to worship". I always point out that there are good people that are going to worship differently, so they should not be killed because they use the free-will that was given to them by god. It doesn't make sense. This is what these churches teach. It's basically saying, "if you're not like me, then you deserve to die or burn in hell".

karmashines said:
I think some men don't like church because they don't like the idea of submitting their power to the unseen 'Higher Authority.' Not that I blame them because I don't really want to submit my power to that being either, nor do I want to spend half of my Sunday getting preached at how I'm going to hell when I'm a relatively good/moral person.

Sister Karma I freely submit my will to that "unseen Power", but it is the power I SEE that I refuse to submit to... That power is the preacher, who since I was a child, I had a level of contempt for because I doubted his intelligence, doubted the things he proclaimed...

It's interesting that I am admitting this so late in life... I guess I've discovered the right words to put things into their proper context... When you grow up in poverty and want and hunger, and you see your poor praying parent(in my case, my mother)struggling to make ends meet, and that preacher has her bringing all of that good fried chicken to church to feed his greedy handkerchief head behind, you begin to think somebody's running a murphy on somebody...

I feel more strongly about that now, than I did coming up, because later I saw a little of the same in NOI(believe it or not), and I realize that this kind of thing happens when THE PEOPLE don't challenge their leaders to do the right thing... No one wants to rock the boat, no one wants to be seen as a "bad seed planter..." That was the term used in the Nation, and it was a distinction that could get you a beatdown, if not worse...

But, getting back to the point, Karma, it is not GOD who I've got problems with, it is those who pose as his "reps..." They are as human as you or I, but they've got people believing they're a divinity next to The Creator... That is why we don't challenge them to go out into the community to save the community's infrastructure, and not just it's soul....

Peace!
Isaiah

kente417mojo said:
I agree Isaiah, I'm not familiar with mosques, so I decided not to open my mouth regarding them, but the Christian Churches are responsible for building the community more than anyone. If they aren't going to do that, what good are they?

true.

That's the reason why so many men don't mess with church, because they don't want to sit there and be preached to by a pimp. On the other hand, black women seem to sit there and eat it up.
generalizations as this statement slander those pastors who are not pimps,
churches which progress, and black women who know the difference.
You believe it's sad how they believe all black people look alike, but you're on the same page with them by believing that all churches are alike. lf you don't believe they are all alike, then don't make such silly generalizations.

[/QUOTE=kente417mojo] I think one of the things that stiffle progress for black people is the church, because once you start thinking that God and Jesus will take care of everything, you'll just sit on your butt and wait for them to do it.[/QUOTE]
Another generalization. What progress are you making by not making honorable mentions of those who, out of black churches, made significant changes for our people. Do you know any christian who believes Jesus will work their 9 to 5? You don't have to be a christian to not believe in your own abilities to do certain things. Man l am hoping you can clarify some things for me b/c l am trying to think you are not a hater of your people, the black church or any black movement. Mention a contribution the black church has made for us, don't just attack it.
kente417mojo said:
That's the mindset of a lot of christians too. It's rediculous. I have never met a christian that was interested in the real progression of black people.
ln Mike Tyson's words, this is ludicrous. *picks a name out the air* Tavis Smiley doesn't come to your mind-he's christian. What's wrong with you?? Do you not think before you speak or what? sad. Did an usher slap dat head when u was ackin' bad back then and now you got a grudge? *passes kente a MLK fan so he can cool off *

kente417mojo said:
Yeah, they acknowledge our struggles, but that's about the extent of it. They all seem to have that "I give up" attitude. That "I'll wait for the lord to save me" attitude.
Who gave up- MLK? Who? Abernathy? Al?
you mean to tell me those churches who gathered to march, vote, sit-in, bleed and die had to wait for God to glide from somewhere in the clouds first? O.K, you are sad and negligent. Wow, l guess l see too many black churches who not only encourage, but are "hands- on" when it comes to business and independent progress of our people. I'll wait for you to get in your right frame of mind.

kente417mojo said:
Black people would not be struggling if these d@mn churches did their job. Pastor needs to stop looking at all the booty and start looking at what's going on in the community. On the flip-side, all the church goers need to stop trying to buy their way into heaven.

:lol: you are a certified hater of the black church. True, no movement of any religious or non-religious sort was perfect, but they all were not totally bad either. Show credit to those pastors and churches who are for your community and the bringing up of growth on all levels instead of finding every stone under the sun to throw at them.

wow.

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back