Black People : What are our strenths as a people? What are our weaknesses ?

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by carlhurd, Apr 9, 2004.

1. carlhurd

carlhurd Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +10
    I understand that we need to look at our beliefs and behaviors, I think that now let us look at our strengths and our weaknesses. We can then build on our strengths and strengthen our weaknesses. Of course one of our strengths is that we are survivors, and able to adapt under adverse conditions. Help identify other strengths and weaknesses.

www.blackfeedback.com

Keeping it real! Some things we just have to do ourselves.

2. NNQueen

NNQueen going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Well . . .

Carlhurd, I've been looking at your thread for a few days now and wondering how to respond to it. On it's face, it seems simple enough, but underneath, it's sort of complex.

When I think about strengths and weaknesses as applied to our people, it's easy to come up with the descriptions that we're all familiar with. Weve been described as being strong and resilient as a strength and too trusting as a weakness. We've heard this said about us over and over again including other characteristics. Creating a list like this might make us feel all warm and fuzzy for a while, but if the weaknesses listed outweigh the strengths OR if the strengths aren't being applied in real life, then what good does such a list serve?

In no way am I poo-pooing on your topic carlhurd but does a list of our strengths/weaknesses, in fact, distinguish us from other people? If people think so, then to what degree are we so different? In my opinion, the distinguishing factors are very little, if there are any at all.

True, we are survivors because we have a strong desire to survive. We've come through horrific times and our experiences as a people are second to none. But we're not here alone, others are surviving too and I would venture to say, in some people's minds, others are surviving better.

Then the question for me is are we thriving as well? This is where the differences may be apparent when you look at the whole scheme of things happening in the world today. There's a game being played and people all over the globe are competing in it in some way, or they soon will if they aren't now. People are placed in classifications and categories according to their ability to compete successfully. If we don't control the game but find ourselves in it by default, then what good is a general list that describes our strengths and weaknesses? We have to be specific and focused if we are going to better understand what's happening to us in the 21st Century.

To me, the more important questions are, what are we capable of and competent at as a people and what are we willing to do to flourish as we evolve? Do we have good business savvy? Among investors, how do we fare? On average, are we a people that save money or spend all of our money? As consumers, how much do we contribute to the U.S. economy? Are we readers or television watchers? Are we exercisers or sitters?

What are our advantages/disadvantages in terms of competencies at politics, economics, government, business, etc.. Who are some of the best minds representing us in the world today? What are they doing in our behalf and do we support them? What do we have in common among us relative to our knowledge and understanding about our real history, spiritual beliefs and social issues? What is or can be the strongest thread to bind us together? Then where does this knowledge place us on the survival chain among people all over the globe?

What do you think?

Peace,
    Queenie :spinstar:

3. Nfant_De_Milieu

Nfant_De_Milieu Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    In my opinion, our biggest weakness is that we are too divided.

4. NNQueen

NNQueen going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Too divided in what ways?

Peace,
    Queenie :spinstar:

5. queentswana

queentswana Well-Known Member MEMBER

day care provider (own business)
    Ratings:
    +161
    NNQueen...
    There is not ONE thing I can/would or should add to what you said...
    Nor is there ONE thing I can/would or should take away...wow
    you always speaks my mind...wow

6. LibertyLady

LibertyLady Well-Known Member MEMBER

social worker...
    Ratings:
    +9
    this is a good question i will think about it and than come back to respond...

LoveLibertylady:heart:

7. Nfant_De_Milieu

Nfant_De_Milieu Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    The most obvious ways we are divided are:
    Male vs Female
    Young vs Old
    Light Skin vs Dark Skin
    If it is not one thing it is another thing that keeps us fighting with one another. You donot have to like everyone but some things we should be able to get past.

The second biggest weakness is the unacquaintance of some things these days. I had just finished reading the book, The Miseducation of the Negro, by Carter G. Woodson, and there is a lot of relevant substance in the book. By being unaware we are manipulated into certain pitfalls. I can name about 15+ rappers/entertainers who have come out with their own clothing line. With so many people trying to do the same thing the market gets saturated and as a result only maybe 2 or 3 will make any money. Whereas working together they could have erected a conglomerate. How many of us hear play the stock market? I rather play the stock market than the lottery. At least in the stock market, if you do not make a profit, at least you can right off your lost on your taxes and get the money back to reinvest.