Black Spirituality Religion : What are Dreams?

Dreaming is a form of hallucinating according Dr. Amos N. Wilson, an Afrikan centered clinical psychologist, and the dreamer often confuses the hallucination that the dream represents with reality. E.g., "The American Dream" which has no basis in reality!!!

Hi Brother @sekou kasimu ... :wave: ... thanks for joining in!

I'm no expert obviously, but I can see how one's dream could look like hallucinating (especially to someone that cannot imagine the same dream). If the person had a dream that seemed so far-fetched, totally counter to reality, one could consider it a form of hallucination. Like our Beloved Ancestor, Martin Luther King, Jr., he had a dream :

I have a dream that one day on the red hills of Georgia, the sons of former slaves and the sons of former slave owners will be able to sit down together at the table of brotherhood.

I have a dream that one day even the state of Mississippi, a state sweltering with the heat of injustice, sweltering with the heat of oppression will be transformed into an oasis of freedom and justice.

I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character. I have a dream today.

I have a dream that one day down in Alabama with its vicious racists, with its governor having his lips dripping with the words of interposition and nullification, one day right down in Alabama little black boys and black girls will be able to join hands with little white boys and white girls as sisters and brothers. I have a dream today.

I have a dream that one day every valley shall be exalted, every hill and mountain shall be made low, the rough places will be made plain, and the crooked places will be made straight, and the glory of the Lord shall be revealed, and all flesh shall see it together.

This is our hope. This is the faith that I go back to the South with. With this faith, we will be able to hew out of the mountain of despair a stone of hope. With this faith we will be able to transform the jangling discords of our nation into a beautiful symphony of brotherhood. With this faith we will be able to work together, to pray together, to struggle together, to go to jail together, to stand up for freedom together, knowing that we will be free one day.

Then, I looked up the word :

hallucination : an experience involving the apparent perception of something not present.

It certainly seems to qualify as it pertains to the dream above, the perception of something not present.

Yes, I have dreams too, that look like hallucinations, because they are not yet present.

Thanks for sharing!

:heart:

Destee

Hi Brother @sekou kasimu ... :wave: ... thanks for joining in!

I'm no expert obviously, but I can see how one's dream could look like hallucinating (especially to someone that cannot imagine the same dream). If the person had a dream that seemed so far-fetched, totally counter to reality, one could consider it a form of hallucination. Like our Beloved Ancestor, Martin Luther King, Jr., he had a dream :

Then, I looked up the word :

It certainly seems to qualify as it pertains to the dream above, the perception of something not present.

Yes, I have dreams too, that look like hallucinations, because they are not yet present.

Thanks for sharing!

Destee
Again, according to Dr. Amos N. Wilson, when we go to sleep the five senses shut down, and the mind creates its own reality! Some dreams can appear to be so real that we don't even realize they were dreams until we wake up!!! Malcolm X said that the American Dream is a nightmare for our people. Even the so-called successful ones like professional entertainers, and athletes live the dream addicted to alcohol and drugs! We don't need anymore dreamers! We need men and women of vision, black vision! Vision=the ability to think about or plan the future with imagination or wisdom!!!!! NO MORE DREAMERS PLEASE!!!!!!!

Again, according to Dr. Amos N. Wilson, when we go to sleep the five senses shut down, and the mind creates its own reality! Some dreams can appear to be so real that we don't even realize they were dreams until we wake up!!! Malcolm X said that the American Dream is a nightmare for our people. Even the so-called successful ones like professional entertainers, and athletes live the dream addicted to alcohol and drugs! We don't need anymore dreamers! We need men and women of vision, black vision! Vision=the ability to think about or plan the future with imagination or wisdom!!!!! NO MORE DREAMERS PLEASE!!!!!!!

I think a dream and a vision are somewhat synonymous.

dream : a cherished aspiration, ambition, or ideal.

vision : the ability to think about or plan the future with imagination or wisdom

I understand your position though, and if you find no value during your sleeping hours beyond rest and rejuvenation, it's not a weird place to be. I was there too. I'm trying to open my thoughts to more though. What if there is more in that gigantic third of my 24 hour day? What if I am missing out on insight? So far, it has not hurt to be open and give it a try. I'll let you know if I begin feeling pain ... :injured:

Much Love and Peace.

Destee

@frankster ... omg ... my mind has not left ... "attention to your intention" ... I'm not sure what it means, but it's deep (inside of me). It's like my soul is trying to get my body / eyes to see it, for them to all become one together with it. And I have not even started journaling yet ... thinking about the fasting, and preparing for that, even if I only do some small portion of 40 days & nights. Yeah, I want the most from this because I have lots of dreams ... :)

In fact, I have determined that this cannot hurt me, and can only help me be more focused.

Pretty awesome. Thanks for sharing with us.

Much Love and Peace.

Destee

I think a dream and a vision are somewhat synonymous.

dream : a cherished aspiration, ambition, or ideal.

vision : the ability to think about or plan the future with imagination or wisdom

I understand your position though, and if you find no value during your sleeping hours beyond rest and rejuvenation, it's not a weird place to be. I was there too. I'm trying to open my thoughts to more though. What if there is more in that gigantic third of my 24 hour day? What if I am missing out on insight? So far, it has not hurt to be open and give it a try. I'll let you know if I begin feeling pain ... :injured:

Much Love and Peace.

Destee
Kinda hard to experience pain if one is complacent, and living one's best life! Smile Every morning I wake up in Baltimore, and hear the news about the fatal and non-fatal shootings, I experience our collective pain! That pain motivates me to work, and study hard to bring it to an end! In the final analysis what we do for our people is all that really matters! "All that is good and accomplished in the world takes work and study, everything else is jive", Haki R. Madibuti!!!!!