Beauty - Hair Care - Fashion : What African hair care products do you use?

Discussion in 'Beauty - Black Hair Care - Fashion' started by Proud&Ashamed, May 10, 2010.

1. Proud&Ashamed

Proud&Ashamed Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +9
    My hair texture is pretty rough, but i've learned to deal with it. Our hair doesn't have to be super silky like Caucasian women's to be beautiful after all! What i find really annoying is the fact that my hair just doesn't seem to grow! I used to wear extensions and stuff, but i realized that i should learn to accept and love my natural hair.

If you have long hair, what products do you use to make it grow this way? And even if you don't have long hair, what products do you use? Is it efficient? Would you suggest it to me?

2. blackeyes

blackeyes Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +449
    well, this works for me...
    keep it moisturized(I use shea butter/castor oil/aloe gel mix)
    clean ur scalp/hair w/ non-drying shampoo( some people like Organix but I wasn't impressed w/ it. Black african soap is really good too.)
    make sure you keep it moisturized
    you should probably use protein too but not too often( I use infusium 23 repairology)
    keep it moisturized
    do protective styles for weeks, u don't have to style ur hair everyday
    and don't forget to moisturize it often
    HTH

3. largo

largo Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +286
    Great suggestions above. I'll just add that you will want to seal in that moisture with a good oil. I moisturize and seal nightly using Wave Nouveau for moisture and seal with extra virgin coconut oil and JBCO (Jamaican Black Castor Oil). I also apply JBCO twice weakly to my clean scalp. JBCO is an amazing oil, my hair loves it! And is really soft. I relax every 8 weeks or longer and am hair type 4b and my new growth is super soft. I can't keep my hands out of my hair lol.

I also deep condition once a week usually. Sometimes twice a week with a moisturizing deep conditioner (silk elements and to it I add honey and EVOO) and about once a month with a light protein conditioner for strength if needed. I like aphogee 2 minute. Since April however, I have been deep conditioning with an oil combination that is working really well and I may only use the silk elements occasionally now. The oil combo is Extra Virgin Coconut Oil, EVOO, Hemp oil, Sweet Almond oil, Avocado oil, and the JBCO.

I currently cleanse my hair with Hair One the Jojoba formula. Love this stuff. I don't color but it actually works better than the dry hair formula. I also cover my hair before bed with a silk scarf or bonnet or use a satin pillow case.

I haven't used the black soap for my hair yet but may. I do use it for my skin though with an Egyptian loofah in the shower and moisturize afterwards with shea butter and extra virgin coconut oil. If you haven't tried this you should. Your skin will be amazingly soft and smooth. You will drive your sig other nutz lol.

I hope this helps. Check youtube for tutorials and info and forums like hairlicious Inc and long hair care. Hairlicious has a board for natural ladies.

Oh one other thing. If you haven't already, try using Sally's One n Only Argan oil on your hair sometimes. This stuff is the business.

And of course you know to eat well, rest properly, drink enough water and get regular moderate exercise.

4. Amnat77

Amnat77 Well-Known Member MEMBER

professional.
    Ratings:
    +2,622
    I know what you mean about the 'hair not growing' thingy..I used to think I had the same problem before I started locking my hair. Now that i have them,my hair seems to grow faster than I would like.. i chop it it off every so often..long hair is over rated really.

I use olive oil or shea butter for moisture, and I find the organic root stimulator line works really well (the carrot oil in particularly) I know a girl from Cameroon who swears by HEMP products for growing hair.

I use a combination of aloe plant (fresh) combined with olive oil as a hot oil treatment once a week.

And i believe you said you live in Europe? I've noted the rate at which my hair grows slows down when i live in cold weather, and speeds up in hot weather.

Braided extensions have a tendency to cause trauma alopecia...yarn twist look really nice and the style is not as traumatic to the scalp.

5. largo

largo Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +286
    It seems like our hair does not grow or grow much, but actually it does, just like everyone else. The average growth rate is 1/2" a month. The difference is in us retaining our length so that it is evident that our hair is growing. For many of us it simply breaks off regularly and we never see length increase.

They key is in how we care for our most fragile hair types. With 4b/c being the most fragile. Here are some general tips for retaining length.

Moisturize and seal daily (twice daily if needed)
    Low manipulation
    Protective styles
    silk scarf and/or satin pillow cases for sleeping
    Cleanse your hair at least one a week
    Deep condition once a week
    Protein condition as needed.
    Be very Gentle when combing and styling
    Use a wide tooth comb and soft brush if you need for your edges.

Great sealers for your ends and whole head:
    I can't sing the praises of JBCO enough.
    Extra virgin coconut oil is fantastic stuff.
    Avocado Oil is wonderful
    EVOO and Hemp are great

Good moisturizes to be applied first:
    Wave Nouveau
    S Curl no drip
    Shea Butter

There are other moisturizers and oil sealers you may find your hair likes better.

Try these tips and watch them make a difference for you. You will have healthier hair and retain length.

Edited to add: If your hair feels rough, which is not normal for our hair (female or male), that is a sign that your hair is lacking moisture. Keep it clean, conditioned, moisturized and sealed and your hair will be soft. You also may need a good trim.

6. medusanegrita

medusanegrita Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +565
    Mine grows just fine. I colored in early April and already got about a 1/2 inch of new growth or just shy of that.

I use a shea butter and cocoa butter recipe that's pretty much got everything in it you can think of it.

I use a double boiler to melt it and put it together. Than I hurriedly cool it off freezer, but I have to stir it every 10 minutes so it doesn't separate.

I think all black hair grows but the problems is breakage. I combat that by keeping my hair plaited/braided on the regular.

I also take a food-based multi vitamin about 4-7 times a week called 'Just Once.' GNC has great vitamins, and Just Once is like GNC but half the price.

7. Ikoro

Ikoro Well-Known Member MEMBER

Norway
    Ratings:
    +320
    Peace.

Before I cut my locks or my hair entirely down, I used to be down with products from;

- OYIN Handmade (juice and berries spray for moisturizer)
    - Nubian Heritage Raw shea butter
    - Qhemet Biologics Amla & Olive heavy cream (do NOT sleep on this one or OYINs juice and berries if you live somewhere with minus degrees)
    - Taaliah Wajid black shampoo (and a yellow conditioner that smels EXcellent)
    - Giovanni (not black owned) peppermint and tea tree shampoo to wash out exess oil/grease once a week

All these made sure to keep my scalp moist, not too greasy and most of all: none of the products were clogging my poors (like vaseline, beeswax etc) NB! Taliah Wajid has beeswax and is the only product on there that is not vegan.

Don't forget to massage scalp and to do some minor exercises (lift eyebrows so you can feel your scalp 200 times twice a day, do this inside as it makes you look nuts).

One,

- Ikoro

8. medusanegrita

medusanegrita Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +565
    Since I haven't been on NP I forgot all about OYIN. I had a desire to try that.

I've heard of Qhemet but it's on the higher end of expensive. When I compared prices, I came out getting more for the same price when I made my own. I checked the ingredients in a lot of stuff that I like or might want to buy, and I buy that ingredient and add that to my own concoction. DOES NOT turn out the store-bought stuff, but works just as well.... depending.

Since my hair is always plaited/braided that most I'm looking for is to keep it moisturized. The plaits help retain that moisture in winter.

If you are looking to maintain moisture while your is out, or to get or maintain curls and texture, or to soften it up... then whatever you buy may or may not work for you depending on what you are trying to achieve with your hair.

9. nikknikk19

nikknikk19 Well-Known Member MEMBER

BSN Student
    Ratings:
    +40
    Coarse Coarse Coarse

My hair is super thick and coarse, but not kinky. When wet it's more of waves with few loose spirals. I love afroveda and qhemet biologics. I use mala's (afroveda's owner) totally twisted ginger almond butter, pur whipped hair gelly, and khorem king of tresses hair serum which is really a light cream moisturizer not a serum. I tried everything in qhemet's line except the moringa tree. I only continued using the brbc,ctdg, and the ktrm which is being reformulated until late spring 2011. The aohc was too heavy and greasy. The coconut oil in the amla oil pomade gave me the worst itchies on my scalp. But, I also loved darcy's botanicals herbal leave in but it doesn't work with my new mud hair wash from terressentials lavendar garden (not black owned). So, I stopped using the darcys. I think it's best to know what your hair likes before getting caught up in the 3---4--- stuff b/c that doesn't mean your hair will agree w/ certain ingredients/formulations.