Pan-Africanism : WHAT AFRICAN DIASPORANS NEED TO KNOW ABOUT THE CONTINENTAL AFRICAN VALUE SYSTEMS.

What of the african american spirituality in the bush of alabama and the groups simular to the gullah, black americans have pretty unique and powerful cultural systems identical to african groups, they're just ignored. I think black americans should embrace those over all else while also acknowledging the other diasporian religions before they die out

We have African value systems right here...it's in hearts and heads of your Big Mamas

Oba Iparankanru said:
What of the african american spirituality in the bush of alabama and the groups simular to the gullah, black americans have pretty unique and powerful cultural systems identical to african groups, they're just ignored. I think black americans should embrace those over all else while also acknowledging the other diasporian religions before they die out

Brother Oba, Ashe! Ashe! Ashe! Thank you for this most clear and concise statement.

Peace,

Brother Sun Ship

Oba Iparankanru said:

Brother Oba, now this is mad strange coming from you, man... Aren't you the one who keeps asking "What is African American culture?", and now you say that we have cultural systems here identical to those in Africa???

I wont argue that, as I have attempted to point that out on too many ocassions... What I am asking here is quite different, however... I am asking Continental Africans to educate us African Americans about contrasts in culture and custom from the Motherland to the Americas, as Africans in this hemisphere had to drop and discard many aspects of the cultures from whence we came... Though we have retained great swatches of those cultures(with an "S" for plural), there are some things that have been lost, such as those naming ceremonies... Those are very significant aspects of culture and identity... Folk who take naming their children seriously usually don't name their babies shaquan and Saran(after the food wrap!)...

We've gotten slightly antagonistic on this thread, and I hope that we can move away from that, and make some serious and honest contributions to it... Even if it is about just discussion, I would that we'd open up our hearts, and move away from the hurt and pain-based back-and-forth we had on some other threads... Not that that hurt and pain is not legitimate, but we need to move toward some healing, and not stay stuck on the hurt...

Peace!
Isaiah

Well I went and asked black people what their culture is, and I have also studied customs of negroes from the south during slavery. to see if they had any maroon groups, finding out half of the siminoles were black and had little intermixing with the natives they escaped with keeping a good part of their culture. I still don't know what soul food is (nobody i have talked to will agree with 1 set group of foods) but i am getting a good idea of the culture itself outside of music.

I think the negro american names like keyrel and seran are pretty innovative seeing how they were stripped a$$hole naked of their languages. But I saw a young negro woman when her child was born her mother (who was around 30 ish) shaped the childs head, baptise her, inny his belly button and prep her like Yoruba or Fon child would be before being named and protected.

Oba Iparankanru said:
Well I went and asked black people what their culture is, and I have also studied customs of negroes from the south during slavery. to see if they had any maroon groups, finding out half of the siminoles were black and had little intermixing with the natives they escaped with keeping a good part of their culture. I still don't know what soul food is (nobody i have talked to will agree with 1 set group of foods) but i am getting a good idea of the culture itself outside of music.

Brother Oba - and others - this speaks to the importance of DISCUSSING our culture, and defining it for those who don't have the slightest notion of what culture is, or what it consists of...

On another thread recently started by the poster, Virtual God, he/she suggests that culture is what folk are doing when they are doing it... True dat, but then this is the reality of one learned about this thing called CULTURE... This is, however, not everyone's reality, as most of us have not done any study, and I have rarely if ever, had an African American pose the question to me of what is culture, or what is our culture... Unfortunately, I have heard African Americans say "we aint got no culture..."

Needless to say, that annoyed me so much that I began to more thoroughly study the culture, and that has led all the way to this, a forum where we can actually enlighten one another... Problem is that those who know don't want to teach... They say it is important, and that those who don't know the culture are in trouble, but, no, they aint 'bout to teach anyone nothin'! That's wrong, man... You can't preach a good sermon, and then you're actions shout out that you talk a good game, and aint about much else...

Those who know, brother, need to teach, need to share, need to bring more to the discussion than this... The unenlightened are depending on those of us who are enlightened...

Peace!
Isaiah

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back