Black People : What about the ones with HIV?

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by karmashines, Apr 18, 2005.

1. karmashines

karmashines Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +19
    With all the hysteria that's becoming present in our society over HIV/AIDS, one group seems to be forgotten: the ones unfortunate enough to contract the illness. They are considered to be the lowest of the low; since they were 'responsible' for their illness, they're not entitled to the same type of sympathy given for victims of other conditions, such as cancer. This perpetual shame might provoke some to make unwise sexual decisions, such as not disclosing to their partners they have an illness (who wants someone with AIDS). Or, they could wound up entangled in a constant web of self-despair and depression.

So, my question is, when will society start seeing these people as human too? While the message of prevention is obviously important, there's got to be some focus on those who already have the condition, both in how they deal with the illness along with how society deals with it. With drugs and/or a healthy outlook, today's HIV-infected person can live many years. Infected women can have healthy babies. Life is not over if you have the illness, so why do we treat these people in the manner that we do? Part of the reason why some HIV-infected individuals continue to spread the disease is because of how we demonize them when they do disclose their condition.

2. Kingpin

Kingpin Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +3

More money is spent on AIDS research today than on cancer!!!!

3. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,732
    in the US, there is always a need to demonize some group or the other.
    that is the nature of our country.

4. Radical Faith

Radical Faith Well-Known Member MEMBER

Operations Manager
    Ratings:
    +137
    Though I feel your concern and your passion the fact is in some case sex can't deadly. In the beginning it was homosexuals who were being affected by the HIV/AIDS virus through homosexual sex. Later heterosexuals were being infected heterosexual sex, sharing needles or blood transfusion. Now black women are contracting this disease by way of their husbands or men in their lives who are having homosexual affairs. The sad fact is sometimes our choices are deadly and impact the lives of so many. Those who have contracted the disease can be an inspiration such as Author Ashe or a lesson like Eric Wright aka Eazy E. Either way we seriously need to look at our sexual behavior and practices. As far as the treatment on our part of those who are living with HIV/AIDS we not only need more education available but we must be willing to be educated beyond abstainances as the solution. Once we change our attitude we will change the disease.

Peace....

5. Ralfa'il

Ralfa'il Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +16
    I don't know...

Personally I never thought badly of people who were HIV positive.
    But then again, I never had anyone close to me who admitted to having AIDS although the rumors are abound in my family.

I just thought people got skinny, caught pnuemonia and died.

My aunt works in a hospital and she told me how nasty a toll the disease takes on some people and the stages they go through even BEFORE they are bed ridden.