Black People : What About The Hood?

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by BallOfConfusion, Sep 29, 2008.

1. BallOfConfusion

BallOfConfusion Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +1
    A few months ago, I went to an Obama rally. Right in front of him stood this young black male ago 18-23, holding up this very large sign that said "What About The Hood?" I wanted Obama to stop in the middle of his writtin' speech to answer this mans question. But he never did. Even though I like Obama still I only hear him talk about the middle class. Do you think he is including the poor into any of his plans but just afraid to speak of it? I don't know that much about McCain but I haven't heard him talk about it either. Do you think it's the governments responsiblity to help the poor, or the workin poor as the mom always refers to herself? Do you think the next person to be elected will do anything to help the poor people in our country?

2. Da Street So'ja

Da Street So'ja Banned MEMBER

thrivin' spiritually/physically/emotionally/financ
    Ratings:
    +42
    why do you asked questions

you know the answer too

katrina was enough to show you what it is

the only way ANYTHING gets saved if someone

(mainly whitey) can make money on it:thanks:

3. Omowale Jabali

Omowale Jabali The Cosmic Journeyman PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Creative Industrialist
    Ratings:
    +9,585

Not to get off topic but when I returned to Los Angeles after three years I drove down MLK Blvd which was ravaged by the 1992 "Rebellion" and asked the same question noticing the 13 year blight I left in 2005 has NOT changed.

I asked the same question when I went one Sunday to Leimert Park and checked out the Drum Circle and the Obama paraphenalia selling on Degnan by vendors who were also pushing dime bags of ganja near my aunt's art gallery.

I asked my aunt the same question as I sat down for a "pow wow" noticing the Obama 08' poster she had displayed in her gallery's window,

So, to answer one question NO, I dont "think" Obama "is including the poor" in any of his plans because...

http://www.rte.ie/business/2008/0519/hathaway.html

But he IS including Goldman Sachs.

http://wallstreetpit.com/warren-buffett-investing-billions-in-goldman-sachs/

4. Metaverse

Metaverse Well-Known Member MEMBER

Media Designer
    Ratings:
    +424
    What about the hood indeed. I'm certain Obama would've summed up a wise answer no doubt about that one. But let me ask this question, even though he speaks for "middle-class Americans" is he himself a middle class American or a million-classed American?

Democratic Sen. Barack Obama reported $4.2 million in income in 2007. The presidential candidate released his tax returns on Wednesday. He said his adjusted gross income was around $4.2 million, with $4 million coming from the profits on his two books -- "Dreams From My Father" and "The Audacity of Hope." His Senate salary is $260,735.

Is that hood rich? And what would his combined income look like with Michele's.
    Ok so he doesn't own 13 cars like McCain- but he does have advice for poor Americans- pull yourself up by your bootstraps like I did.

And how are we defining poor or working poor?

In the United States if a family of four earns less than $19,000 a year, it's officially living in poverty. Nearly 40 million people meet that criteria.
    Earners who make $35,000 - $100,000 are considered middle class.

Here's the problem. We are talking about families here as well as individuals. Meaning, if a family has a combined income of over $35,000 they are no longer in the working poor category. So what's happening in the hood? Single Mothers right. Who earn what? $12,000 - $16,000 a year. Where are they working? At the Walmarts, McDonalds, etc, and getting financial assistance from the Government in some cases.

Taking the Male out of the home creates these equations. And as a side note, the study of Human sociology also shows us how our sexual preferences factor into it as well. Gay Men are earning what? Over $50,000-$200,000 a year in most cases. This is because Women are still paid much less for doing the same jobs. Gay Women earn what? $35,000 - $65,000 a year.

There should be programs in the hood that basically help to keep families together. Mind you- Mexicans are living together and building wealth and we'd be surprised to find out because of they they are NOT considered working poor. 4 people in the home working full time earning the lest of $12,000 would not fall into the working poor category.

Our failure to work together as a people, as a family and as couples is very harmful to our health and futures. And yes the system as allot to do with it too. We need to take inventory of what divides us as a people and work on those things. And if Mexicans and other immigrants can move outside of their borders to earn wealth, why can't we? Why can't we start thinking out of this American box? If this system is so divisive here, we need to work on moving outside of it's borders.

Obama might tell us, the hood can change if it is willing to change. But those who study America as a machine know that the hood is one of it's batteries feeding thousands of Whites who would otherwise be within the working poor category themselves. An average cop salary is $41000 a year. An average Judge earns over $140,000 a year. The ability to entrap Black Men and throw them in jail for fictious reasons? Priceless.

5. Omowale Jabali

United States
    Creative Industrialist
    Ratings:
    +9,585
    Not much more I can add to this. Exactly why I moved back "Home" to Los Angeles (which, by the way, I view as similar to a "Third World" Nation). "Our failure to work together as a people, as a family". This I realized clearly, the hard way two months ago when I was in ATL. People now asked me what "burned me out". I have given detail about this here before. So brother Meta thanks for hitting the head on this nail.

And before anyone comes with...well... "What are you doing?" I am now WORKING in a Black-owned-and-operated Learning Program in Los Angeles, home schooling BLACK youth and tutoring in an after-school program for mostly BLACK youth. A large percentage of the students I work with are Ethiopian-Americans who are College-bound and their parents are first-generation immigrants to the U.S.

This is to say...I am working specifically with "Family". "In the Hood" and finally earning a living while working in the educational, NON-PROFIT, PRIVATE sector.

Today, I begin work on a project to expand this program to other inner-city communities.

A point I want to make about this is that when I stepped off a lucrative, public school teaching career I was fed-up with the system playing lip-service to the "Black-Student-Achievement-Gap" and dealing with Black parents who are not being held accountable or responsible for the role they need to play in ensuring thier children's academic success.

The lack of the "Black male equation" has a direct impact on the Black MALE Achievement Gap. If Black men are not present in the homes or in the schools then Black male youth are being raised by whom?

I give Barack Obama credit for at least at one point having "been there, and done it" in regards to Community Service in the inner-city and then moving to Community Building.

In "the hood" WE need more "Community Builders" with real programs and real solutions to real problems which some label as "illusions".

6. SeekingMaat

SeekingMaat Well-Known Member MEMBER

United Kingdom
    Ratings:
    +275
    May eye just add that historically when Afrikans 'prospered' ...is when they did for self! Self determined, self healing, US not ME ... Black WallStreet springs to mind ....we have learned those lessons/experience .....

and so we rise ....

Peace

7. Omowale Jabali

United States
    Creative Industrialist
    Ratings:
    +9,585
    I dont intend to be diagreeable but I wonder how many of US have actually "learned those lessons/experiences". I wonder this because every discussion or mention to Black Wallstreet actually speaks to the devastation the area experiences with virtually no mention of how Greenwood was rebuilt within 5 years. Furthermore, most articles on Greenwood talk about how it was "patterned after Durham, North Carolina but...Many Tuls residents )some of my own Family included) actually had migrated from Boley, Oklahoma (I still got folks today in Stroud not far from Tulsa).

http://www.aaregistry.com/detail.php?id=2054

Greenwood was a larger community as Boley was a "township" but Boley actually provided the actual model and after the race riot in 1921 some families actually returned to Boley and re-established their businesses.

The key to the success of Greenwood, Boley and Durham is in the community "mobilizing its resources" and it their lessons were really learned then this discussion today would not be concerning WHAT but HOW.

The distinction can not be underemphasized.

Those who ask WHAT typically have no PLAN and are asking questions which may or may not lead to solutions.

Those who ask HOW typically have a PLAN and are developing strategies and tactics for programmatic implementation.

These are two distinct and qualitatively different modalities of Though and Action.

Peace

8. Metaverse

Metaverse Well-Known Member MEMBER

Media Designer
    Ratings:
    +424
    Bro. OM, just when I thought you gave us enough to admire you for you come up with some else. You are one of the most developing Brothas on Destee, a great example to those of us that believe we stop growing, learning and evolving. You talk the talk and now you walk the walk! I know there are those who often challenge your experience and judgment - but what can you say to a Black Man helping the community!!!!

I would love to hear what you will say under the thread
    Would You Be a Better President?

9. Omowale Jabali

United States
    Creative Industrialist
    Ratings:
    +9,585
    Thanks for the props Brother Meta but I been doing that walk for quite some time. Its just a matter now of narrowing down focus and doing some more effective "Rootwork" and rooting out some weeds and breaking off some unproductive branches which have been hindering my own growth and development. And believe me, it ain't been easy.

While some folks are invested in "dead Presidents" I'm working on market expansion into areas of the Community the "revolutionaries" have long vacated for safer havens in the ivory towers and suburbia.

Peace

10. PurpleMoons

PurpleMoons Administrator STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,102
    I found these videos while surfing youtube. Don't know how true they are, but in case anyone wants to research it, heres a starting ground.

:heart: