Haiti : What about the Haitians?

Discussion in 'Black History - Culture - Panafricanism' started by Sangofa, Oct 20, 2003.

1. Sangofa

Sangofa Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +2
    People come to the United States illegally all of the time some get caught and some don't. Here were I'm from there is a Mexican family who has been in the U.S. for over 17 years as illegal immigrants. They barely got caught a year ago and the state wanted to send them back. They packed all of their possessions loaded up their moving van and they got a call saying that they can stay.

That situation made me think about the Haitians. A year or two years ago when the Haitians hit American soil they were either sent back or placed in INS lock down. On the other hand when Cubans come to America illegally they can stay. They file for an assylum and they are good to go. The Haitians did not have that option. That situation shows me how impartial the U.S. can be.

What's the difference between the groups besides one being black? Could the U.S. feel threatned by the Haitians? Shouldn't they be able to stay when they hit American soil? Did the NAACP get involved with this case? I haven't heard much about their story what was the outcome?

:maddd:

2. NNQueen

NNQueen going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Sangofa, I can't answer your question about the outcome of the incident you mentioned but I don't think it takes a rocket scientist to grasp why it is that Haitians are treated much differently than the other people you mentioned. Do you think it might have something to do with race, politics and economics?

3. Mahogany_Brown

Mahogany_Brown Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    Its definitely because they're Black people plus I've also heard that the US is still mad at the Haitians because Haiti was the first Black independent republic in the west..

4. Sangofa

Sangofa Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +2
    I don't know what you are trying to imply with the comment "it doesn't take a rocket scientist to grasp why it is that Haitians are treated much differently". Your'e using sarcasim to someone you don't even know. I guess your point in doing that is to make me look dumb. I am offended by the tone in which you used it. I just asked the question out of curiousity. I am just going to leave it alone.

From what I have been told about Haiti it is a poor country so I don't think it could be economics. Their political views I don't know much about. Race could be a possibility but black people enter the U.S. all the time. There is more to it then that. I have to do my own research to figure it out myself. I do agree with the comment that the U.S. is mad at the Haitians because they are the first Black Independent Republic in the West. That is something that I will look in to.:confused:

5. Nia Maishani

Nia Maishani Well-Known Member MEMBER

Business Owner
    Displaced at the Junction of Hoosiers and Bluegras
    Ratings:
    +1
    Sangofa, you have not been made to look dumb by asking a (GREAT) question. The initial answer that comes to my mind is that anglo-americans fear genetic annihilation, which would come about through dark people (like Hatians) reproducing children with caucasians. The more dark people you allow into this predominately caucasian nation, the greater becomes the threat that interbreeding will deplete the caucasian poplation. In addition, we know about all the reports of a high incidence of HIV/AIDS in Haiti. But the ultimate threat is that Hatians (an historically revolutionary people) will become unified with the so-called African American population. That could mean trouble. The threat of brown becoming unified with black however (or of other ethnic groups, say from Eastern Europe) is slim, so those groups are allowed entry without much incident.