Black Education / Schools : What’s Lost When Black Children Are Socialized Into a White World

ogoun

REGISTERED MEMBER
Jun 14, 2018
What to make of this I'm not sure.
This is suppose to be a English class in an elite private school. English class? Why not literature instead of August Wilson's period play? Or if the English class was to be part of some diversity studies program why not Ellison or Baldwin or Morrison to name just a couple off the top all held in high regard. Or if August Wilson needed to be included why not make it part of a comparative study of period plays made by his contemporary play writers who were white and who also gave unflinching views into their own white world existence of alienation, deprivations, despair and (perhaps) repair?
What is to be expected from ninth grade level students these days? Are period plays even the right material to be teaching in ninth grade English class?

umbrarchist

REGISTERED MEMBER
Jun 13, 2007
I don't see any mention of suggested reading for the kids.

But what is the reading culture in black families. My parents didn't suggest books. I offered to pay nieces and nephews to read some books I provided and they refused. Trusting palefaces to define and control education makes no sense. I don't trust white people to educate white kids.

The hair thing is interesting. When I worked at Panasonic I went to a white employees home to play chess. He had 2 kids, a boy 6 and girl 5. While looking at the board I felt something on the back of my head. The little boy had come up behind me. His mother started scolding him when I turned around.

I just let both of the kids feel my hair. Of course it would have been a different story if some white boys tried that when I was in high school.

umbrarchist

REGISTERED MEMBER
Jun 13, 2007
What to make of this I'm not sure.
This is suppose to be a English class in an elite private school. English class? Why not literature instead of August Wilson's period play? Or if the English class was to be part of some diversity studies program why not Ellison or Baldwin or Morrison to name just a couple off the top all held in high regard. Or if August Wilson needed to be included why not make it part of a comparative study of period plays made by his contemporary play writers who were white and who also gave unflinching views into their own white world existence of alienation, deprivations, despair and (perhaps) repair?
What is to be expected from ninth grade level students these days? Are period plays even the right material to be teaching in ninth grade English class?
I don't understand this. Why wouldn't August Wilson's plays qualify as English literature just as much as Shakespeare or Poe or Mark Twain or To Kill a Mockingbird.

When I was in high school we had to compare Romeo & Juliet to West Side Story.

Not that I am an English literature fan. Now I consider it a waste of time even more than I did back then. But I don't see why Wilson's work doesn't qualify as English literature.

My OCD has to come out every now and then.

Last edited:

Is Trump Going to Prison?

• yes

• no

Results are only viewable after voting.

Latest profile posts

Kemetstry wrote on Destee's profile.
still can't post polls

Kemetstry wrote on Destee's profile.
What ever you've done, you can no longer post to the kitchen table