Black People : West Nile virus kills 17 in Texas, sickens hundreds

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by Clyde C Coger Jr, Aug 15, 2012.

1. Clyde C Coger Jr

Clyde C Coger Jr going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,078
    In the Spirit of Sankofa,

... Hitting close to home:

West Nile virus kills 17 in Texas, sickens hundreds

[​IMG]
    Mosquitos are seen inside a trap in June 2012. The US state of Texas is battling an outbreak of the West Nile virus, with at least 17 deaths being blamed on the mosquito-borne disease, authorities said. (AFP Photo/Justin Sullivan)

The US state of Texas is battling an outbreak of the West Nile virus, with 17 deaths being blamed on the mosquito-borne disease, authorities said Wednesday.
    Throughout the state, 381 people have been sickened since the start of the year, according to the Texas Department of State Health Services.
    "Texas is on track to have the most cases of West Nile illness since the disease first emerged in the state in 2002," it said in a statement.
    http://news.yahoo.com/west-nile-virus-kills-16-texas-sickens-hundreds-160247585.html

Peace In,

2. Clyde C Coger Jr

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,078

... Let's hope this doesn't move beyond the endemic phase:

[​IMG]
    A Culex quinquefasciatus mosquito is shown on a human finger in this undated handout photograph from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). REUTERS/James Gathany/Center

Dallas mayor declares emergency over West Nile virus

DALLAS (Reuters) - The mayor of Dallas declared a state of emergency in the ninth largest U.S. city on Wednesday to combat the spread of West Nile virus infections, which have been more prevalent than usual in Texas and other states this year.
    There have been more cases of West Nile virus reported so far this year than any year since the disease was first detected in the United States in 1999, the Centers for Disease Control said on its website.
    http://news.yahoo.com/dallas-mayor-declares-emergency-over-west-nile-virus-185126639.html

Peace In,

3. MsVeraisblessed

MsVeraisblessed Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +1,148
    There have been a few deaths here in OKC from it. I pray it doesnt' get too bad. There needs to be a solution for this..

4. Omowale Jabali

Omowale Jabali The Cosmic Journeyman PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Creative Industrialist
    Ratings:
    +9,585
    I guess I don't miss living in Texas as much now. Praying for the kinfolk in Texas and OK. Be safe!

5. Clyde C Coger Jr

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,078

... Called my daughter last night MsVeraisblessed and she thanked me for the alert. But folk in Dallas are so familiar with the West Nile that they weren't aware of the seriousness at this point. She called back today and really thanked me, and they are now taking all precautions to safeguard bites with repellents, etc...

Peace In,

6. Clyde C Coger Jr

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,078

... My thoughts exactly about not missing it, I pulled out in 85, only to return for visits and vacationing, periodically.

Peace In,

7. Clyde C Coger Jr

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,078

... This is drop dead serious...

[​IMG]
    Associated Press/LM Otero - Mike Stuart of Dynamic Aviation describes the plane that will be used for aerial spraying and it's difference from crop dusting during a news conference in Dallas, Thursday, Aug.

To fight West Nile, Dallas launches aerial defense

DALLAS (AP) — Dallas-area officials have launched an aerial assault on the mosquito population in the hope of ending a West Nile virus epidemic.
    That epidemic has sickened at least 230 Dallas County residents and killed 10 of those.
    The aerial spraying began at 10 p.m. Thursday, focusing on the county's northeast quadrant the first night.
    It's the first time in more than 45 years that Dallas County launched aerial spraying against mosquitoes. The efforts have provoked a debate between health officials trying to quell disease risk and people concerned about insecticidal mist drifting down from above.
    The hot, dry weather has created ideal conditions for mosquitoes, speeding up their life cycle and turning standing water stagnant.
    http://news.yahoo.com/fight-west-nile-dallas-launches-aerial-defense-030615682.html

Peace In,

8. MsVeraisblessed

MsVeraisblessed Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +1,148
    I sure hope it works. I would hate to hear about anyone else getting sick from the spray.

9. Clyde C Coger Jr

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,078

... We talked about that also, and the last article posted speaks to it as well. Since they started the aerial at 8:30 pm by spraying in the North, where white folks are populated; then its safe, lol... South side just has to wait on the planes, :)

Peace In,

10. LadyLC

LadyLC Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +142
    This West Nile is nothing to play with. Since it is a virus there is no cure for it, your body just has to fight off the virus. I had all the symptoms of West Nile about a month ago and I didn't realize that I had it until yesterday. I have a friend who's son had it 2 years ago. The virus caused neurological problems and he briefly lost his eye sight. There are only about 700 diagnosed cases in Dallas so far but there are probably thousands more who have/had it and thought it was a summer flu or cold like I did. The spraying is a step in the right direction but hopefully the side effects of the spraying aren't worse on people and pets than the actual virus....