Black People Politics : West African Detainments aka Forced Quarantine

Discussion in 'Black People Politics' started by UBNaturally, Oct 29, 2014.

1. UBNaturally

UBNaturally Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,736
    West Africa/Ebola vs. Civil Rights

Nurse Kaci Hickox says she won't obey Maine's Ebola quarantine: I won’t be 'bullied by politicians'

Nurse Kaci Hickox — who remains symptom-free after spending three days in a New Jersey isolation tent after flying home from Ebola-stricken West Africa — remains under quarantine at home in Maine, but for only another day, she tells TODAY's Matt Lauer.

Maine health officials are prepared to "pursue legal authority" to enforce a quarantine Tuesday as reports surfaced that Kaci Hickox, a nurse who treated Ebola patients in Sierra Leone and shows no symptoms of the virus, doesn't intend to obey the quarantine.

"We do not want to have to legally enforce in-home quarantine," Mary Mayhew, commissioner of the state Health and Human Services Department, said at a news conference. She wouldn't comment on Hickox's case specifically, but Hickox's attorney told the Bangor Daily News that his client — who was quarantined against her will in New Jersey upon her return to the U.S. — "doesn't want to agree to continue to be confined to a residence" beyond two days.

Hickox spent the weekend in an isolation tent at a Newark hospital after she flew back from West Africa, even though she tested negative for the virus. She was released Monday and drove back to Maine after she threatened to sue.

"We're confident that selfless health workers who were brave enough to care for Ebola patients in a foreign country will be willing to take reasonable steps to protect residents of their own country," Mayhew said Tuesday. "However, we are willing to pursue legal authority if necessary to ensure risk is minimized for Mainers."

Robin Pinette, a resident of Fort Kent, Maine, where Hickox had originally planned to self-quarantine at her boyfriend's apartment, told NBC station WLBZ of Bangor that the situation is "completely terrifying."

"I feel bad for Kaci, because I know that it's got to be hard feeling ostracized somewhat," Pinette said. "But we're dealing with the whole community, not just one person here."

Rev. Jesse Jackson comes to Dallas to help Ebola patient
    Oct 07, 2014

upload_2014-10-29_19-49-38.png
    The Rev. Jesse Jackson with Thomas Duncan's mother

Dallas County Commissioner John Wiley Price chimed in at Commissioner's Court that what happened to Duncan at the hospital was the "elephant in the room." He said when "people who look like me show up at hospital with no insurance, they're treated differently."

In an email, Presbyterian wrote, “…He was treated the way any other patient would have been treated, regardless of nationality or ability to pay for care. We have a long history of treating a multi-cultural community in this area…"

“I've torn off the rearview mirror for now,” added Dallas County Judge Clay Jenkins. “We're gonna do an extensive hot wash of that after this is over in an after action.”

But looking the judge in the face is the concern of parents at Highland Park's Armstrong Elementary School, where his daughter attends.

The judge visited with Duncan's family several times without any protective gear, including the apartment where he stayed.

None of those people have shown symptoms. Doctors say unless they are symptomatic, there is no risk of contracting the virus.

“President Obama's team, Governor Perry's team, my team and the world's best scientists would never put my child or your children at risk,” said Jenkins.

Rev. Jackson met with Dallas Mayor Mike Rawlings and about 100 local pastors Tuesday morning. He prayed with Duncan's family and held a prayer vigil for them later in the day.

After Duncan passed away, his family was placed under watched quarantine:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

But all in all, take this in for perspective

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The family was later moved out of the apartment to a new temporary home:

October 4, 2014

The four people include Duncan's partner, Louise, her 13-year-old son and her two nephews, who are in their 20s, CNN reported. According to the network they must stay quarantined until Oct. 19, when the 21-day incubation period for the virus will expire.

"Yesterday, we moved Louise and three brave young men from their apartment in Dallas to a secure location that was provided by a member of the faith community," Judge Clay Lewis Jenkins, director of Dallas County's Homeland Security and Emergency Management, said at a press conference. Jenkins said he drove the family to their new temporary home, calling it a "place where I would put my own family."

Whether Judge Clay Jenkins had to be quarantined is another question, being that he was in and out of the apartment as well.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Forced quarantines were a topic of discussion with the H5N1 Avian Bird Flu was seemingly about to break out in 2005

Bush wants right to use military if bird flu hits

By Charles Aldinger
    October 4, 2005

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - President George W. Bush asked Congress on Tuesday to consider giving him powers to use the military to enforce quarantines in case of an avian influenza epidemic.

He said the military, and perhaps the National Guard, might be needed to take such a role if the feared H5N1 bird flu virus changes enough to cause widespread human infection.

"If we had an outbreak somewhere in the United States, do we not then quarantine that part of the country? And how do you, then, enforce a quarantine?" Bush asked at a news conference.

"It's one thing to shut down airplanes. It's another thing to prevent people from coming in to get exposed to the avian flu. And who best to be able to effect a quarantine?" Bush added.

"One option is the use of a military that's able to plan and move. So that's why I put it on the table. I think it's an important debate for Congress to have."

Bird flu has killed more than 60 people in four Asian nations since late 2003 and has been found in birds in Russia and Europe.

Experts fear that the H5N1 bird flu virus, which appears to be highly fatal when it infects people, will develop the ability to pass easily from person to person and would cause a pandemic that would kill millions.

"And I think the president ought to have all ... assets on the table to be able to deal with something this significant," Bush said.

2. Dez K

Dez K Active Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +21
    Hickox has every right to do that. She poses no real threat to the public if she is asymptomatic. People are just scared.

3. UBNaturally

UBNaturally Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,736
    Nurse free to move about as restrictions eased

[​IMG]

A Maine judge gave Hickox the OK to go wherever she pleases, handing state officials a defeat Friday in their bid to restrict her movements as a…

FORT KENT, Maine — A nurse who treated Ebola patients in Sierra Leone can move about as she pleases after a Maine judge eased state-imposed restrictions on her, handing officials in Maine a defeat in the nation's biggest court case yet over how to balance personal liberty, public safety and fear of Ebola.

Judge Charles C. LaVerdiere ruled Friday that Kaci Hickox must continue daily monitoring of her health but said there is no need to isolate her or restrict her movements because she has no symptoms and is therefore not contagious.

The judge also decried the "misconceptions, misinformation, bad science and bad information" circulating about the lethal disease in the U.S.

After the ruling, a state police cruiser that had been posted outside Hickox's home left, and she and her boyfriend stepped outside to thank the judge.

Hickox, 33, called it "a good day" and said her "thoughts, prayers and gratitude" remain with those who are still battling Ebola in West Africa.

She said she had no immediate plans other than to watch a scary movie at home on Halloween in this town of 4,300 people on the remote northern edge of Maine, near the Canadian border.

We shall see how consistent this is in the future