Black People : Wesley Snipes: "LIVE?" or "Memorex?"

Is Wesley Snipes "For Real?" or "Faking The Funk?"

• His contributions to Black history documentaries cancel out his negative comments about Black women.

Votes: 5 41.7%
  • His negative comments about Black women cancel out his contributions to Black history documentaries.

Votes: 7 58.3%

• Total voters

cherryblossom

REGISTERED MEMBER
Feb 28, 2009
In an effort not to continue an off-topic discussion in another thread, I am starting a new one.

Through the years, Wesley Snipes has received a back-lash of controversy from his disparaging comments made in a 1997 Ebony magazine interview about Black women and his decision of choice in his Asian mate.

Moreover, Wesley has also contributed to documentaries about Dr. John H. Clarke ("A Great And Might Walk" - 1996) and of Dr. Yosef Ben-Jochanan (2001).

Wesley has owned/owns a film company named "Amen Ra Films;" a subsidiary named "Black Dot Media;" and a security/paramilitary company named "The Royal Guard Of Amen Ra."

However, in spite of his "homages" to Black history, his demeaning remarks of Black women in that '97 interview still raise the ire of many Black women.

Personally, I feel that Wesley has the right to choose whomever he wishes as his mate; but I do not agree with his tearing down Black women by describing the ills and poor behavior of Black women; and, seemingly, explaining his choice in an Asian woman as a more "pleasing" alternative for him.

So, in your opinion, is Wesley "For REAL" or is he "FAKING THE FUNK?"

In an effort not to continue an off-topic discussion in another thread, I am starting a new one.

Through the years, Wesley Snipes has received a back-lash of controversy from his disparaging comments made in a 1997 Ebony magazine interview about Black women and his decision of choice in his Asian mate.

Moreover, Wesley has also contributed to documentaries about Dr. John H. Clarke ("A Great And Might Walk" - 1996) and of Dr. Yosef Ben-Jochanan (2001).

Wesley has owned/owns a film company named "Amen Ra Films;" a subsidiary named "Black Dot Media;" and a security/paramilitary company named "The Royal Guard Of Amen Ra."

However, in spite of his "homages" to Black history, his demeaning remarks of Black women in that '97 interview still raise the ire of many Black women.

Personally, I feel that Wesley has the right to choose whomever he wishes as his mate; but I do not agree with his tearing down Black women by describing the ills and poor behavior of Black women; and, seemingly, explaining his choice in an Asian woman as a more "pleasing" alternative for him.

n an effort not to continue an off-topic discussion in another thread, I am starting a new one.

:sick::SuN013::explode::qqb012::qqb019: :laugh: :poop:

... I think it has more to do with his comments about Black women. In the manner in which he spoke, his statements about Black women were like "being kissed on one cheek and slapped on the other."

So, I think many Black women would not have a problem because he's with an Asian woman if his previous statements weren't so passive-aggressively insulting to Black women....in short, he was just "nice-nasty" with it.

]Wesley Snipes
by Lynn Norment
Ebony Magazine, November 1997, v.53 n.1 p188

.... I like a woman who reads. I think a number of my relationships [ended] because she didn't read and we didn't have anything to talk about.... But I'm not into the ones who want to jump up and fight and get loud. That's not my flavor."

..... When asked if he dates Black women, he says: "Primarily all of my life I've dated Black women.... Oh, most definitely. Oh, my God. Mostly. But it just so happens that now I'm dating an Asian woman. It's different. Different energy, different spirit, but a nice person." ....

Wesley says he realizes that there are Black women still who get an attitude about Black men with Asian, White or Hispanic women. "I know we've all been hurt, and we're all very wounded," he says, addressing Black women. "We have to acknowledge that, both male and female, in the Black experience. We're a wounded people. And we want to possess and we want to own. We don't want to compromise. We feel like we've compromised enough. But in any relationship you have to compromise. There's no way around it. And I say to Black women also, Brothers who are very, very successful, or who have become somewhat successful, usually it's been at a great expense, unseen by the camera's eye....

"He doesn't want to come home to someone who's going to be mean and aggravating and unkind and who is going to be `please me, please me.' He doesn't want to come home to that. He doesn't want to come home to have a fight with someone who is supposed to be his helpmate. So it's very natural that he's going to turn to some place that's more compassionate.... You've worked hard and you deserve to come home to comforting. And usually a man who has that will appreciate it. Because I've never known one cat, all those cats I've hung out with and still hang out with, who found something that they really, really like and didn't go back to it. They all go back. It's very simple."

When asked for clarification, Snipes emphasizes that he is not saying that a Black woman can not be that type of woman a man wants to come home to. "Not at all," he declares. "Absolutely not. That's the point. I want to come home and I don't want to argue. I want to be pleasing, but if I ask you to get me a glass of water, you're going to say, `Them days is over.' Please. Come on," Wesley says. "A man likes that. I don't know why. It's been that way forever. It makes him proud, you know, like when the guys come over and your lady comes out with a tray of food and says `I made this up for you.' And the guys are like, `Oh man, you've got a great women.' And the man says, `Yeah, I do.' A man will appreciate it when you're kind and when you're nice....

http://myweb.cableone.net/semenza/articles/ebony1997.html

Faker.

My thoughts>>>>>

.....This whole interview read like Wesley was smiling and winking at the interviewer as he spoke.

So, it's one thing to choose another race; but it's another to insultingly describe the women of your own race as females who (A) DON'T READ (B) ARE FULL OF DRAMA (C) AREN'T PLEASING TO A BLACK MAN and (D) just aren't KIND, COMFORTING AND NICE.

And therein also lies the problem.

You automatically assume that I am denying ANY truth to his statements.

Are there some ANGRY, BITTER Black women out here?.....YES.

But, with his statements, phrased as they were, Wesley only addressed Black women in such a category.

Not once, did he mention any Black EX-girlfriends who DID "like to READ."

Not once, did he mention any Black women who ARE NOT "full of drama" when her man comes home.

Not once, did he mention any Black women who ARE "pleasing and comforting and kind and nice" to her man.

In this interview, Wesley LUMPED all Black women in the same pot.

And not once, did he mention that most BLACK WOMEN are coming home from A JOB AS WELL.

.. when a Black man chooses a woman from another race, he doesn't have to put down Black women as the reason for his choice.

Everything Wesley said in that interview was all about what Black women DON'T DO and how Black women ACT and BEHAVE and REACT toward Black men.

It was a BLANKET insult to all Black women.

He did not once clarify by saying "SOME" Black women.

IF "his life experiences" are what he based his descriptions of ALL Black women on, then that's the same thing Black men say about Black women who blame ALL Black men and hold ALL Black men accountable for their past relationships.

It's not right for EITHER side to do it.

Yes, "choosing his mate" is his decision. He just didn't have to TEAR DOWN all Black women in the process.

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back