Black Entertainment : Wesley Snipes Acquitted of Tax Felonies

Discussion in 'Black Entertainment' started by Mad Skillz, Feb 2, 2008.

1. Mad Skillz

Mad Skillz Well-Known Member MEMBER

Real Estate
    Ratings:
    +251
    By DAVID CAY JOHNSTON
    OCALA, Fla. — The actor Wesley Snipes was acquitted of the most serious charges against him on Friday in the most prominent tax prosecution since Leona Helmsley, the billionaire hotelier, was convicted of tax fraud in 1989.

Mr. Snipes was found not guilty on two felony charges of fraud and conspiracy. He was also acquitted on three misdemeanor charges of failing to file tax returns or to pay taxes, but was convicted on three others. He faces up to three years in prison.

Mr. Snipes had become an unlikely public face for the tax-denier movement, whose members maintain that Americans are not obligated to pay income taxes and that the government extracts taxes from its citizens illegally.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/02/01/business/01cnd-tax.html?_r=2&oref=slogin&emc=na&pagewanted=print

2. oldiesman

oldiesman Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +120
    what wesley had was money and a good lawyer,that usually does the trick.

3. Keita Kenyatta

Keita Kenyatta going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

Ratings:
    +3,383
    What Mr. Wesley had was some lawyers who did not understand the laws fully. If they knew the laws he wouldn't have gotten one single day! This has nothing to do with him having money...or are you still under the assumption that paying taxes are legal???? Mind you...there are state taxes that must be paid, but what I'm speaking about is federal taxes...and of those, YOU DO NOT HAVE TO PAY ONE SINGLE DIME!!!!!

4. cherryblossom

cherryblossom Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5,560
    http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2010/12/09/entertainment/main7132784.shtml

Federal Court Rejects Snipes' Appeal In Tax Case
    First Posted: 9/6/11 10:40 AM ETUpdated: 9/6/11 02:49 PM ET

By Associated Press
    ATLANTA — A federal appeals court in Atlanta has turned away the latest attempt by actor Wesley Snipes to get his conviction and prison sentence on tax charges overturned.
    The 11th Circuit Court of Appeals in Atlanta on Tuesday rejected the appeal by Snipes, who was convicted in 2008 on three misdemeanor counts of willful failure to file income tax returns.
    Defense lawyers contended they received two emails from former jurors who reported misconduct among other members of the panel. But the court held that it wasn't "strong, substantial and incontrovertible evidence" that would warrant a new trial.
    Snipes started a three-year term in a Pennsylvania prison in December. ...
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/09/06/federal-court-rejects-sni_0_n_950321.html

5. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,686
    Thanks Sister Cherry and everyone ... i thot he wooda been dun did his time and out by now ... gosh.

:heart:

Destee

6. Black-king

Black-king Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +720
    It's funny that Snipes is still in Prison meanwhile the bankers and big corporate CEOs who created the financial crisis are still out there, enjoying billion of dollars of tax payer money from the bailouts.

7. Shikamaru

Shikamaru Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,989
    One of the safest ways to avoid income tax (because tax avoidance is legal) is to stop having income.

8. Kemetstry

Kemetstry going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Chemist
    Ratings:
    +6,148
    [​IMG]
    Wesley Snipes -- Released from Prison
    www.tmz.com
    Passenger 57 is no longer Inmate #43355-018 -- TMZ has learned Wesley Snipes has been released from prison. The Federal Bureau of Prisons tells TMZ ...…

9. Kemetstry

Kemetstry going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Chemist
    Ratings:
    +6,148
    WENN, Friday, April 5, 2013, 9:11am (PDT)
    • Wesley Snipes has been released from prison and placed under home confinement to serve out the remainder of his sentence for tax evasion.

RELATED: Best TMI Tweets

The "Blade" star, who was convicted in 2008 for failing to file tax returns, lost an appeal for a retrial in 2010 and began serving his three-year punishment at the minimum security McKean Federal Correctional Institution in Pennsylvania in December that year.

RELATED: Most Awkward People on the Red Carpet

However, TMZ reports he was freed from his jail cell on Tuesday and was transferred to the New York Community Corrections Office, where he met with representatives supervising his home confinement. The move was confirmed to CNN by the Federal Bureau of Prisons.

10. BlackSunlight

BlackSunlight Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +91
    MY MAN (where’s a high-5 smiley when you need one… anyway) what he ^ said!!!

Although we do differ on opinion somewhat when it comes to your statement here…

"This has nothing to do with him having money... "

I think his money, along with his star-status and the fact that he’s one of the very few seriously outspoken Black-celebrities when it comes to Black issues, does factor into them moving on him.

There was a FOX NEWS report-video posted on YOUTUBE back in 2006 on the story that blatantly demonstrated the blatantly bias news-coverage that was launched against him in the media but I can’t seem to find it anywhere now. Still, the point Keita Kenyatta raised about federal income-tax is true. I know personally ‘cause I been let the I.R.S. know where they can go since '87.