Black Sports : Weightgate: Castillo comes out ahead

Discussion in 'Black Sports' started by Monetary, Oct 12, 2005.

1. Monetary

Monetary going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Economist
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +236
    Check out the entire article by clicking here

2. kente417mojo

kente417mojo Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +34
    I saw that fight as well as the first one. Castillo did look a lot stronger than Corrales. It was a totally different fight than the first one. I don't know if the weight was the key factor, but I don't think they should be allowed to fight period if they can't make weight. This is a mark on Corrales record that may or may not have been they had Castillo made weight. I guess we'll see in the 3rd fight.

3. panafrica

panafrica Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +194
    I also agree that if fighters don´t make weight then the fight should be called off. Castillo claimed that a rib injury forced him not to train as hard. Still there is no question that a 12 pound weight gain gives him a serious advantage. Both fighters were equal the 1st time around, so I think it raises eyebrows that Castillo was so much stronger only a few months later.

4. MississippiRed

MississippiRed Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +34
    That 12 pounds made a big difference especiall if Corrales struggled to get down that last week because that would mean he'd have to take weight off fast and would wind up losing not only some fat but muscle also meaning he'd come in a weaker and a lot weaker than a dude that not only didn't drop weight but probably got to bulk up some at 147... and coming in heavy is inexcusable especially with your weight being checked daily....Castillo wanted an edge and got it...Castillo should have paid the fine and fight cancelled until a later date....

MississippiRed

5. Deepvoice

Deepvoice Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +4
    I can tell you from just me sparring that a 12 pound weight difference can be very telling in a fight. If you lose alot of weight in a short time period you are bound to lose some of your power.

6. panafrica

Ratings:
    +194
    Absolutely brother Red! Also Castillo has been a lightweight his entire career. I´ve never heard of him struggling to make weight before...why now? Like you said, he wanted an edge, and he got it!

7. panafrica

Ratings:
    +194
    Ditto........