Black Relationships : Weddings Are A Waste Of Money

Discussion in 'Black Relationships' started by oceolo, Jun 27, 2005.

1. oceolo

oceolo Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +15
    I have a question for the sistas.
    Are weddings necessary or have the media only brainwashed women into thinking are necessary? I feel that going to city hall and just signing a certificate of marriage is much better because weddings can be very stressful financially and emotionally so why have them in the first place?

Diamond Rings are pretty much a universal gift for a man to give a woman that he wants to marry,but why do people covet something that is produce by way of the pain and suffering of other people especially black people in Africa? Also diamonds are over priced because they are not as rare as people may think this is why you see so much diamond jewelery.

Weddings and diamond rings might be nice things but a down payment on a house and good credit are even better

2. panafrica

panafrica Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +194
    I'm not a woman, but I agree with you. My parents were married in City Hall, and have been together (happily) for 35 years. Yet on the same token, I know people who have spent 50k on a wedding and seperated 6 months later. When it comes to marriage, one's commitment is what is most important. However one thing to consider is that proper budgeting can decrease the cost of a wedding.

3. karmashines

karmashines Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +19
    I agree 100%. Some women spend lavishly on weddings because they want to 'show off' they have a man. They'll spend thousands yet get divorced a week later.

If you're a millionaire then you can afford to spend a lot on weddings. If you're an average person chances are you shouldn't. That $10,000 could go towards a house which is a better investment.

And as far as expensive rings... well, legally you don't even need a ring to show you're married (at least that's what my state said when we applied for a marriage certificate). All that matters is the piece of paper.

4. Lloyd

Lloyd Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +4
    Try to...

understand some people before blaming them!We just have ONE life and we've a wedding ceremony with someone only once.Because they don't want to forget the day they have cheared their promises,they spend a lot of money on it.It's true that that is obvious,but who cares about?Love doesn't have a price.
    Yeah you may remind of the pain beared in Africa,but i'll ask u one thing:"Where is all the money we and others country have sent there?".They are not in need of money now,they first-of-all need to refresh their minds 'cuz they are too selfish.
    That's what i think :donttell:

5. Monetary

Monetary going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Economist
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +236
    We spend money on many things. Sometimes, it's spent on the things we need. And, sometimes, it's spent on the things that make us happy. I believe that's what wedding does...it makes us happy. If you have it to spend, then spend it on the wedding. If you don't, then spend it on what you need.

6. PoeticManifesta

PoeticManifesta Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Local Insurance Agent
    Ratings:
    +47
    I agree with brother m0ney,
    Ive been to some off the wall weddigns.. u know church.. and all.. tehn u go back to the house and have a big cookout.. lol.. therese a word for that.. but ill refrain from using it.. but hey.. its the celebration of a union that counts!

7. MANASIAC

MANASIAC Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Technical Analyst
    Ratings:
    +38
    I already got the Wedding Budget started. I am trying to do it 50K to 75K. I love me some weddings.

And yes I actually watch them on television too....

But I think people are paying for a date they want to be happy on. And there is nothing wrong with that. I know I am breaking bread for the wedding, if my wife family aint got the cheese.

8. panafrica

Ratings:
    +194
    Count on doing that brother Man, because not too many father in-laws are picking up the tab now a days. I'm not even going to front, I probably won't pony up for my daughter's wedding, especially if I don't like her choice of a husband!

9. oceolo

oceolo Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +15
    I agree if my daughter wants to get married in my house or my backyard thats fine because the wedding costs would be minimal but if she expects to have an extravagant Cinderella fairy tale type wedding she better save up her own pennies.

10. panafrica

Ratings:
    +194
    I will pay for my daughter's college....I'll even give her a down payment for her 1st house (at least half of it), but the wedding I think I'll just sit back and watch. None of this is a immediate concern; however, because my daughter isn't even 3 yet!