Destee Network : Website

BLKFOXFIRE

REGISTERED MEMBER
Mar 26, 2002
Central Islip, NY
Hi Everybody,
I am new to the board...I have a few questions....first let me say i know nothing about how to do a website...But i have been reading alot and i am going to try..Can someone tell me what does bandwidth mean? They say there are no stupid questions just the ones not asked...Well i am going to pick yours brain, i need all the help i can get...Thanks in advance

Hello BLKFOXFIRE,

When referring to a web site, bandwidth represents the amount of bytes that have been transferred, from/to your web site. For example, when you visit this forum ... you probably enter something like ... www.destee.com/forums ... well, when the server receives your request for this page ... it "serves" all of the files that make up this page (.jpg, .gif, .wav, .zip, .php, .html, etc.). These files all "weigh" some number of bytes and the transfer of them (from the server to the person requesting the files/page) are counted toward your total bandwidth usage. The web site owner pays for the delivery of these files, this bandwidth that is used.

Usually bandwidth usage is also representative of the number of visitors (requests) your site receives. So in this case, a web site owner wants high bandwidth usage, because it means lots of visitors. It also could mean that your files are very large, requiring lots of bandwidth to deliver them (such as poorly developed sites, mp3 sites, movie trailers, streaming video/audio, etc.).

Most small business sites, just starting out, do not use lots of bandwidth.

Bandwidth can also include/mean other things. Check out Webopedia's definition when you get a chance. I also did a search on Google, using the keyword "bandwidth."

I do agree, there is no stupid question. Ask anything you'd like to know more about.

Hope this helps.

Destee

Hello Blkfoxfire, I'd like to add that bandwidth also means the volume of data that can travel over a bus or cable at any given time. Also, I'd like to add if you have a regular dial-up connection to the Internet, keep it! Although DSL and cable modems are faster and everybody wants faster downloads, speed is a
"hacker's" delight. Even though the Internet is the premier of the Technology Industry, it is also very vulnerable to hack attacks. So be careful of how much of your personal information you allow to be published on a website. It is a fact of life information has become very valuable on this "Information Superhighway" and people are trying to steal yours, mine and everybody else's everyday.

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back