Nigeria : Wealthy Nigerians, Pastors Spend $225 million on Private Jets

Amnat77

REGISTERED MEMBER
Dec 11, 2006
UK..not for long
Occupation
professional.
A few wealthy Nigerians spent at least $225 million acquiring private jets between March 2010 and March 2011, a Nigerian newspaper reported on Monday.

According to the report published by the Punch Newspaper, a couple of the acquisitions were made by billionaires Aliko Dangote and Mike Adenuga. Last year, Dangote acquired a US$45 million Bombardier jet as a gift to himself on his 53rd birthday, while Mike Adenuga purchased a Bombardier Global Express XRS. Both Dangote and Adenuga own at least two private planes each.

Apart from wealthy business tycoons, Nigerian clergymen and spiritual leaders are also joining the very elite league of jet owners.

In March this year, David Oyedepo, a Nigerian cleric generally believed to be Africa’s wealthiest gospel preacher, acquired a Gulfstream V jet for US$30 million. Oyedepo, who presides over the Winners Chapel, one of Africa’s largest churches, now owns a private collection of four aircraft. In addition to his latest acquisition, he previously owned two Gulfstream planes and a Bombardier Challenger Aircraft. He is also reportedly creating a private hanger to accommodate his flying toys.

Oyedepo is not the only Nigerian clergyman to own a jet. Pastor Enoch Adeboye, the revered overseer of Nigeria’s largest congregation, The Redeemed Christian Church of God, is also a proud jet owner. In March 2009, the great man of God spent $30 million on a Gulfstream jet amidst widespread criticism. Pastor Sam Adeyemi, another cleric and founder of the Daystar Christian center, a flourishing Pentecostal congregation which repeatedly preaches financial prosperity, is also a jet owner.

It’s not cheap to own a private jet. On average, it costs hundreds of thousands of dollars annually to maintain a personal plane. The majority of Nigerians frown at such flagrant displays of opulence, particularly on the path of their clergymen, given that 60% of Nigerians still live below the poverty line.

http://blogs.forbes.com/mfonobongns...ns-pastors-spend-225-million-on-private-jets/

why do they call private jets toys? seems like a good idea if you want to be
in control of your travel.. 30 million.. if you got it.. and I'm sure they retain
quite a bit of their value.. If I was a billionaire, I think I would buy my way out
of public air travel also.. I'd buy me a plane with an eject button.. make
survival possible.

peace

I think the problem is more with the pastors/clergymen, like T.D. Jakes, they are supposed to be feeding the people and not themselves...

They could be a big part of the reason 60% of the population is still below the poverty line if they can afford private jets!

peace

I think the problem is more with the pastors/clergymen, like T.D. Jakes, they are supposed to be feeding the people and not themselves...

They could be a big part of the reason 60% of the population is still below the poverty line if they can afford private jets!
Manifestation of Wisdom!!!!!!!!!!!

Why they fronting in the air while there is so much suffering on the ground

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

TractorsPakistan.com is one of the leading tractor exporters from Pakistan to Africa and the Caribbean regions.
HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Back