Black Christians : Wealth, profit, and money discussion

Discussion in 'Christian Study Group' started by NyneElementz, Jan 17, 2014.

1. NyneElementz

NyneElementz Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +356
    Sooner or later, we have to face these subjects. I've had the chance to listen to a Rabbi who speaks at different churches around the world who is distressed about our unbiblically negative attitudes in relation to money. He explained that churches and the lives of members often suffer needlessly because of it.

As usual, i did some research on the subject and he may be right. So i created this thread to explore our view of money and God's view.

So, let's begin with what we personally believe about money. Do you think that it is a blessing from God or a collaborative effort between man and the enemy?

2. NyneElementz

United States
    Ratings:
    +356
    I suppose i will start this off. After a little research into the principles laid out by the old testament, i believe that money was always meant to be a blessing. With it, any two beings can enjoin the Abraham-inspired process of giving through agreed upon exchange, where both parties are better off after each transaction. Do that often enough, one can become wealthy in a godly manner.

Money in and of itself wasn't seen as the problem by God. But God did seem to have a problem with greed as a financial attitude and theft, oppression, and deceit as means to acquire it.

Despite what i used to be taught (that money was unholy and to be wealthy was next to blasphemy), i have seen where the true biblical applications of money, wealth, and profits are signs of where righteous living in financial dealing and business dealing can take you. Furthermore i was delighted that God made this revelation available to me.

3. Josh X Brown

Josh X Brown Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +156
    As Salaam Alaikum!!!!!!!!

In my opinion wealth is like the many religions we have. They can be used for the purpose of good or evil. There is nothing wrong with being wealthy with money but the problem lies with how you got it and how you use it.

4. Angela22

Angela22 Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +3,323
    'Tis a blessing, but as with any blessing, it's all in what you do with it.

True, money isn't a problem, but how men behave because of it is the problem.

Wealth isn't bad, but is difficult when paired with a righteous life, and can bring even the holiest of men and women down an undesirable road.

It can cloud our judgement and stunt our perception of truth, and so He'd rather have one poor and faithful making it to His kingdom than rich, lost, and not having a chance. This is eternity of life weighed against temporary paper bills and material items due to pass away, He's asking us to choose between. That's His mercy, I believe, for those who know.

5. NyneElementz

United States
    Ratings:
    +356
    Peace be with you as well.

Good point, and i am sure many spiritual doctrines place an importance on how it is both acquired and used.

6. NyneElementz

United States
    Ratings:
    +356
    I'm not so sure that money is the culprit as opposed to greed and pride. I do know that God has beef with the state of mind that would rather have riches over Him and with the trust of money over trusting Him. Plus i am always of the belief that whatever is in a man/woman is what will come out of them. Money's role is to magnify one's level of character. For instance, money doesn't cloud one's judgement - only revealing that one's judgement is clouded.

And i agree with which of the two personalities you mentioned that He would rather have, but i don't think he will refuse a rich man who completely trusts in Him either. After all, Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob were examples of such men.

And as far as what he may be asking us to choose between, i disagree. GOD IS god. Money should not have the same regard. God did create money as access into human connectivity through commerce. Without money, such is impossible (ie jobs, sales, payment for services, etc.). I think money can serve as proof that i have either served others or have been a part of someone's system of serving others. And that proof gains me limited access to things necessary and unnecessary, like groceries. Without working (serving in some way), how does one become worthy of hire or give?