Black People : We Talk the Talk ...

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by Destee, Aug 11, 2004.

1. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,686
    Hello Family,

I've been here a long time, in this community, listening to the very passionate and supportive talk we give each other regarding our people, our needs, our hopes, etc. ... but i wonder what is the transition rate from talking the talk to walking the walk?

If we use financial support of this community as a gauge ... where we are over 5000 strong, and several years old, with many ideas, opinions, and suggestions posted everywhere ... all we are is talk, for the most part, with less than 1% financially supporting the majority that interact here. When the request was presented to financially help the community ... the majority remained silent.

Is this what every Black organization seeking financial support from its Members experience ... or is it just us? Is it wrong for any organization to stop "carrying" those who are not willing to walk the walk? This is such a dilema for our community, because i've not been able to embrace the thought of locking anyone out, but inevitably any organization must consider supporting only those who support it, right?

Do we realize how important it is to take this next step ... moving from talking to walking? Is this why there are not more organizations committed to us, because we are not committed to us or them?

If it doesn't happen here and now, when and where will it take place? Or perhaps you know where it is already happening, and if so please share, for i'd love to see it in action!

I probably sound a bit discouraged and maybe even self-serving, and if so, please forgive. It's just that i know what we put into this and who we do it for, and the majority of those same folk give nothing but talk in return. I didn't expect to see the day that i'd actually need your financial support (i've been able to maintain things for years by myself) ... but now that i've had to go this way, the reality is disheartening to say the least. I guess it took this to see, because i never would have believed it otherwise ... especially with all the talk of unity and support we post around here.

If you aren't supporting this online community, which Black organizations do you give your financial support to? Such places need lifting up if they exist.

I was reading an article recently about Whoopi and Slim-Fast and the organization that prompted a boycott was local (Los Angeles, CA) with 3000 Members. We are international with 5000+ Members, growing everyday. Do you realize the impact we could have if we were more than just talk? We have a solid foundation that can allow us to employ our own, promote our own, educate our own, everything we talk about.

When will we not only talk the talk, but walk the walk?

:heart:

Destee

2. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,178
    truely i haven't seen it or felt it before the place i thought would do it
    and show it can be done has fail me and my heart to talk the talk need
    a backing and that's when i notice the walk in another thread about our
    people supporting each other in an business setting my answer remain the
    same and it's been proven to me number of times NO we simply don't do it
    we keep our self in a struggle in a stressed out depression but fastly support
    any other common ground it a talk and walk upon our people afraid to stand
    up i am very supportive to any worthy cause and anything that will help me
    grow , learn and be in unity with our people in one very nice surroundings
    a community of our people hands down but i've come to pass and learn our
    people is racism to each other full of mental action of talking but will walk before
    backing & supporting, yes talk the talk but shy away from walking the walk
    i agree destee someone need to show me where this really do take place
    and in what Black organization !
    how and what supportive backing do they give financially as a member.
    i'm one who talk and walk the walk to back up my talk but most of all
    i really see the need when we as people have a place to all come in and
    share mental thoughts and ideas but we as people has no faith in backing
    those ideas that's so great we are the people of this community which we
    so love and come daily it's home from home but sad to say we love free rides
    yet we cry about struggling when we are the hold up, if you pick one up
    surely the next will pick another up soon we all can stand but to walk by
    and look without offering a hand we lay and die .
    FACTS ! who care is the question.

3. Isaiah

Isaiah Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +62
    Very timely post, sista mama Destee!(smile!) Timely because your brother has been procrastinating for at least a week about putting that money order in the box, and finally got around to it yesterday... Odd how things work out, as I know I would have been highly sensitive to what you've said here had I not done what I made a promise and a vow to do...(smile!)

In the NOI we used to say a man's word is his bond... If you can't keep your word, then no wonder you aint got no money in your pocket(smile!) So you go ahead, and BE "self-serving", if that is what you have to do to keep this website, this community, this business cooking with gas... Actually, this is what is needed more in our communities... Folks who understand that we've got to get serious, and aren't afraid to let that be know... I think somewhere I called it Sistas Steppin' to the Plate... You are the embodiment of what I was talking about... Keep on making yourself plain... We can take it - I think...(smile!)

Peace!
    Isaiah

4. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,686
    Oh Brother Isaiah ... Thank You for the permission !!!! ... a Sista do be need'n it ... :wink:

Now that i have it ... :)

What prompted this thread was the "N Word" thread that is getting so much attention now ... a White Member joins in the discussion and so many begin going on about how we don't need his help, we handle our own, we support our own, we solve our own problems, we work together, we don't need you ... blah blah blah ... when the majority saying that have not stepped to the plate to answer the call for help ... but you know what ... if and when the White man comes and helps financially support our community (and we do have White Members here that have given their financial support) ... ohhhhh look out Destee ... i'm a sellout and a bunch of other stuff ... i mean c'mon Family ... if we are really going to do this, if we really don't want their assistance ... then we've got to do the work ... gotta put our money where our mouth is ... and it's just not happening ... all we receive here in the way of help is talk ... the majority i mean ... because there are a few that have gone above and beyond to help keep this community here for all of us ... giving monthly their money (or gave so much to begin with that they don't have to do it monthly) ... that money makes it possible for EVERYONE to take part here ... it is such a blessing and i'm grateful to them all ... but just imagine if each of us did a small part to help ... we'd not even hardly have to talk anymore, for our actions would speak for us!

*climbing down off my soapbox* :)

Thank You Brother Isaiah for the podium!

Destee

5. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,686
    Earth ... you are more than welcome here. You already know that there are some who are going to challenge you at every turn ... we can't really protect you from that ... but from what i've seen, you're more than qualified to hold your own.

I'm often amazed at the White folk that come here and stay, call it home, because they are not usually met with a warm embrace by all ... so to me, it's a sign that they really really really wanna be here ... because there are so many other places you could go where you might be received more warmly.

The focus of this community is African Americans - Black Folk and all the things that concern us. I imagine you already know this, as it's plastered all over everywhere. After knowing this, if you want to call this home ... you are more than welcome.

Destee

6. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,686
    Brother Isaiah ... i don't know how i missed this part ... :nono: ... but you iz much too old to be call'n me "Mama" !!! :nono: ... bee'n da sangle woman dat i iz ... wit all da chiren dat i gotta claim (dna results wuz pos'tive) ... it's hard find'n dem a Daddy ... and you iz make'n it moe difficult call'n me "Mama" all out in front of folk and errry thang ... make'n da sangle menzzz dat might be read'n this skurrr'd ta even speak ta me ... jest in case they think i got a son old as dirt ... now don't no man wanna be Daddy to a son older den he iz ... lol ... so stop dat !!! :wink:

Destee

7. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,178
    still running away with less to say
    coz we do what they say we will do
    and that's shy away from supporting our own.
    we talk it but can't walk it WHY !????

8. CarrieMonet

CarrieMonet Well-Known Member MEMBER

Love my job!
    Ratings:
    +15
    hmmm, paid for 4 months. So when do I turn green?

9. PurpleMoons

PurpleMoons Administrator STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,102
    Thank you Sister for your contributions! :love:

As soon as Sister Destee reviews her records I'm sure you will be green. :luvv:

Thank you again for your patiences and support!

AND WELCOME.....WElCOME.....WELCOME.....HOME!!!!!! :toast:

:jumping: :jumping: :jumping: :jumping: :jumping: :jumping: :jumping:

10. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,686
    :jumping: Oh Boy Oh Boy Oh Boy !!! :jumping:

Thank You Sister CarrieMonet !!!! :love:

I apologize for not making you 'green' sooner ... i have been so betwixt and between lately ... *sigh* ... but i'm here Sister and jumping for joy at your SHOW of LOVE and SUPPORT for this community!!!! You make my Spirit SMILE ... THANK YOU !!!!! ... So very encouraging! :)

If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask.

Much Love and Peace.

Destee