Black Entertainment : We need Rescue from Hip Hop and Rap.

Discussion in 'Black Entertainment' started by Nugget, Jul 26, 2006.

1. Nugget

Nugget New Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    I am hoping that Hip Hop and Rap will soon fade away and we can get back to some musical talent. I don't mean to hurt anyone's artistic sense but this Hip Hop music is bad news.

First off I don't like the name of it. Hip Hop reminds me of some third grade reading book about the easter bunny going hippity hop down the bunny trail. It envokes somewhat retarded and juvenile images of black children hippoty hoppitying around some class room.

And Rap music. I notice that there is no harmonic variance to this music. It seems very primitive to me. I hear cars coming down the street going "Boom! Boom! Boom!" The key never changes. There seems to be no inventive harmonies to it. Actually it all seems like the same darn song to me. I hear a Thud Thump Thud Thump . It seems that music appreciation among many blacks has just been reduced to the loud incessant THUMP of a bass drum.

Isn't this fade of Boom! Boom! Boom! primitive? Isn't this a degradation of black talent into some stone age thumping? Where's the talent in this stuff?

2. Sefirot

Sefirot Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Teacher
    Ratings:
    +14
    "Hip" "Hop" reminds me of "boom" "bap" which is, of course, the original rap music of the culture.
    There's a mile long thread on the subject though. You're certainly not alone in your sentiment.
    Thought is a frequency. I would argue that the music reflects that frequency and vice versa.

3. Nugget

Nugget New Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    Sefirot,

Do you think a generation of young kids is being raised up who cannot understand any music that doesn't have a deep, loud, and low THUD! THUD! THUD! in it?

Do you feel African decendents hear a rhythmic frequency in the womb which gives them more of a propensity to rhythm?

I sometimes wonder about that.

4. oldiesman

oldiesman Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +120
    we need rescue...

i too am no fan of hip-hop or rap,but this is an evolution in music and this too shall past because above all else black people get BORED after awhile and start looking for the NEXT BIG THING and that certainly pertaines to music where taste change it seems overnight,just as our parents didn't like most of the message songs of the late sixties-early seventies so we have today's message in rap and hip-hop,with a teen in the house i get to hear a bit of these songs and altough most of it is crap there are afew ok lyrics among the wreckage,so i say to those of you who like myself come from an era when music was sung by people who could ACTUALLY SING,don't listen to those songs but find an oldies station or if you have them put on those old classics close the doors and relive those golden days of yesteryear,it works for me.

5. Slowly

Slowly Well-Known Member MEMBER

electronic technician
    Ratings:
    +8
    I love the thumping music, but if they could just tell the girl they like her in 10 words or more that would improve it. Earth, Wind and Fire thumped for their time and their songs were full of sex and happenings in the streets. They just didn't come right out and say it.

6. Khasm13

Khasm13 STAFF STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +4,472

sorry...hip-hop in some shape,form or fashion will always be around...

i don't like the route she has gone...
    but i believe someday she will go back to her roots...hopefully

here's to epmd's no crossover.....:toast:

one love
    khasm

7. Sefirot

Sefirot Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Teacher
    Ratings:
    +14
    Everything has rhythm. Everything vibrates. The natural evolution of music, in general, is being stagnated. The minds of US are being stagnated. The closer we get to knowledge of Self, the more they counter act our progress. Everything is supposed to "keep it moving" and turn to something else. But I think they have stuck a log in the wheel.

So, where as you had Rakim and Redman and numerous others flipping all kinds of artistic flows over samples chopped and improvised, there was also the "slow, country" rap of the south. I'm from ATL, but have always been original Hip Hop. We made fun of the slow raps and simple flows of southern rap, refusing it as Hip Hop.

But now that is all that is promoted. I'm all about freedom of speech and expression (and I personally love low end/'bottom'), so long as there is variety. But there is none. How in the hell do you go backwards (70's to 2g back to 70's-ish)? Our vibrations should be rising at a faster pace, not getting slower. Mos Def and Talib Kwali raised the stakes and suggested the proper evolution of the ART with Blackstar. It was not only conscious, but spiritually so as well. Now art is the last thing with which I would identify most "music" of today.

So, yeah Bruh. I think that if you are born into negative rhythms it is significantly more difficult to supercede those vibrations and rise. Modern rap is just a large element as to why we have a country seemingly filled with ignorant (euphemism) youths with heads seemingly too solid to penetrate.
    So these kids not being able to understand music of higher vibrations is a kin to some of us who fail to see Beings who vibrate at a significantly higher level. Or even less, fail to understand you when you try to discuss something intellectually.

We’re going backwards and rap is a significant tool in the negative acceleration.

8. IfUComeSoftly

IfUComeSoftly Well-Known Member MEMBER

PD for a Non Profit
    Ratings:
    +12
    first off... there will always be some segment of the genres and sects that have negative connotations and vibes... that's any kind of music...

secondly hip hop and rap are two totally different things... there is a thread that goes a little deeper on that...

the other day i was tuned into the harlem book fair on cspan and cathy hughes said something about allowing this generation the option of expressing themselves after her generation fought so venomously for that right. it's expression... some may be in bad taste some may be in poor taste... it's expression none the less... i dont have a problem with the music persay as i have a problem with the fcc allowing PDs and MDs to put it into rotation where the impressionable can hear.

lastly... now i have been a musician for almost 15 years... i think i know music when i hear it... the rifts the bridges the hooks... the repitition the alliteration... hip hop and rap are music... they are poetry in motion... and man... the horn player in me says that beautiful...

and the thud thud comment... when i was younger... i remember my uncles going to these little 'hole in the wall' clubs playing old blues music like bobby blue bland or ray charles... and you could hear that thud thud thump thump long before you got to the club... so that thud thud has been around for a long time... and probably always well... heck in a lot of those old school joints when the music would stop and the lead singer would talk the lyrics or the free verse off some feelings... that was the beginnings of hip hop and rap...

jm.02cents

9. Africana

Africana Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +9
    HipHop will NEVER go away

It's too late. This music genre is here to stay, especially after the fact that it is EXTREMELY popular world-wide. Too many people are in love with it for it simply go away. I LOVE HipHop/Rap, maybe you just haven't heard the right song. There's all different types of beats to rap songs, they're not the same, most of the time. If you get a hold of a good artist, you can hear a good beat and some thought provoking lyrics. But there is some trash in the hiphop world that I wouldn't mind being discarded.

10. Moorfius

Moorfius Well-Known Member MEMBER

Self Employed
    Ratings:
    +27
    The expresions of the youth about life concerning "Us"*

Hotep

Rap use to mean..."Talk"...Let me "Rap" to ya brother or what sista you rappin to these days my brother? While Marvin Gay raped the question...what's happin brother...H.Rap Brown, Joe Tex, Wilson Picket, Pig Meat Markum and others all had Rap record out in the 1960's. Rap came down to us in the 1980's with a pure message of survival at first, community and above all exposing the truth in preperation for "Our" people to "Liberate" ourselves from the "System of White Supremacy. In the beginning "Rap" ment something and mostly if not "All" of us would at least listen to Public Enemy, X-Clan, KRS, Heavy D, Big Daddy Cain, L.L.Kool J. and others. The powers that be knew that Rap at this point in owr history was being used as a "Wake-Up" call for Africans in America. So then they (white folks who control the cindicated media) started pushing "Degenerate", "Negative", "Valger" and un-civilized "Thinking" among our youth (by payin lots of money to seel out) only after the U.S. Government through the CIA introduced "Krack" and "Guns" into our black communities. Now we have "Gangsta-Rappers" who claim they keepin it "Real". It has not ever been un-real...and has all ways been real long, long, long before late 1980's and 1990's and even today. Africans in Amerikkka have been suffering for the past 500+ years under white folks...we all ready know that "This Hell we call Life in America is Real"!! You are part of the problem or part of the solution...you are here to help or the kill...and we know the difference. "Hip Hop" can be better by "Rappin about Liberation and Freedom...setting a positive example for the 'Children'. There is no longer the mention of Freedom, Justice and Equality by the young brothers and sisters in the now "Hip-Hop" game. Most are only concerned with them self and what they will do to some one else to get what they want and will stop at nothing to get those things that only "Money" can buy...but no "Hip-Hoppin" about African Liberation what ever at the "Gramies". The white system of media control are very happy to "Pay" to keep this "Foolishness" going...to keep the youngest among us "Ignorant" and "Dumb" to the "Knowledge of Self" as we only concern our selves with "Bling, Booty, Cars, 40's, Boom and Money". The powers that be know that as long as this "Foolishness" keeps up...they have nothing to worry about...the Negro is still fast "A-Sleep" and is not "Demanding" his and her "Hue-Man Rights" or his and her..."Birth Right" of Liberation in Spirituality. Nothing else matters...all else is totaly and absolutely a waste of human life, time on this earth..."If" we are not demanding our..."African Liberation" from our selves.

Ase`