Black People : We Need a New Theory of Education

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by youngblackceo, Mar 12, 2006.

1. youngblackceo

youngblackceo Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5
    Hello everyone, I want to talk a little bit about a subject that we have discussed on this forum several times.
    My goal today is to get us talking about education from outside of just creating children who are going to make contributions to America because that is not going to guarantee our survival as a people.
    Our education as a people goes beyond gaining equal opportunities in this country.
    Education for us is more about the survival of our race and that is very serious.
    Know in order for us to quarantee our survival on this earth the way we approach education must change dramatically from our approach today.
    I'm going to discuss and add in some of my thoughts and ideas on how we can bring into realization a new theory of education for black people.

The first thing we have to come into realization of is that we are not the same as white people. We have to get over this myth that the only differences we have with other people is the color of our skin.
    Nothing could be farther from the truth. Our skin color itself indicates that we had a completely different historical evolutionary experience as a African people than whites. The way our bodies is sculptured tells us this as well.
    All of these things have a much deeper meaning to how the African has evolved in this world. So what does that mean to us as a people when we talk about creating a new theory of education?
    Quite simply it means that before you can develop a theory of education that is condusive to what we what to accomplish as a people. We must first develop concepts and theories that deal with learning to understand our physiology. We have to look at our evolutionary history as a people to understand our bodies.

I think one of the reasons we suffer from so many differents ailments is because we have not took the time as a people to study our evolutionary history to understand how we grow and develop. Europeans bodies have been determined by their historical and evolutionary experience and their experience as a people is not the same experience as African people. It does not make sense for us to follow behind them in terms of our health and fitness and overall well being as a people.

Before we can even begin to talk about creating a curriclum for our children we have to first develop knowledge of our bodies. So that we can create a curriclum that is condusive to how we grow and develop physically as a people. We have to study our bodies and how are brain develops. So that we don't put our children in a educational system that is not setup to meet their physical and emotional demands. And example of this would be if we study our history and how that history relates to our physical and psychological experience in america. We see that by age six our children start showing a decline in their curiousity about learning and education. We see that this decline is reinforced by the negative images and the psychological legacy of slavery and white supremacy. We could use that knowledge and our first task in developing a new theory of education for our children would be to develop a curriculum for the first five to six years of our children academic experience that actively confront the realities of want we call the "Willlie Lynch Syndrome.

Those first few years of our children life is very important to us and we have got to take them back without being apologetic about it. Even to this day our children are bombarded with all types of negative images that still tells them that it is not innate in them to be intelligent and curious about the heavens and earth. So this is reflective in their approach to academics. Also we have to deal with our history as well and recognize that all the maladaptive characteristics we have as a people serve a very real political purpose for other people. So that means that if we recognize that our people have had a problem with trusting and depending on one another. Than we must create a curriculum for our children that motivates and rewards them to develop those characteristics in one another.

If our children suffer from low self esteem and they don't have a firm foundation about their own sense of self because we have been made to believe that African people do not have a real place in this world as men and women. Then it is up to us to create a curriclum that reaffirms our children and implant in them a real sense of self worth and love for their people.
    This must be done in away that is real and not by just saying how proud you are of being black.
    I think the first way of getting this accomplished is by instilling in our children a real sense of purpose. We must implant this in our children the first few years of their lives until it becomes second nature to them.
    They must understand very early that they represent more than their individual selves and that they are all small pieces to a much bigger African puzzle.
    We can enforce these values in our children while at the same time introducing them to reading, and math, and science and writing.
    I'm not a teacher but we could create exercises that teach math and the other basic fundamentals while enforcing our values of love for self and your race. As well as teaching them to be reliable on one another and to respect one another.

When it is all said and done our goal as a people should be to create a curriclum for our children that is not as concerned about how well they our doing in class compared to whites and other children. The major concern for us is to reprogram our children those first few years of their lives.
    So that when they get to the next level of their educational experience. They will be fully aware and adjusted for the next phrase of their academic life. This part of their experience will prepare them to become the type of men and women we need to solve the problems we have as a people.

I would like to discuss with everyone ways we can develop curriculums for the first few years of our children lives that can effectively reprogam them into black people who are well motivated and our more than willing to learn in their next phrase of their academic experience to use their genius for the betterment of their people.
    Also I must note that like Dr. Amos Wilson said we our born with and early genius as a people. Our task must be to learn how to continue that genius on through our later lives. So our first question should be how do we create a social and academic and political enviroment for our people that can get the most out of us and maximaze on that early potential?

Let's discuss and I will be back later with the second part of this post.

2. KWABENA

KWABENA STAFF STAFF

United States
    Leader-Student-Teacher
    Ratings:
    +367
    Not a bad idea. Now how do you choose to put it into play?

CD

3. youngblackceo

Ratings:
    +5
    Thank you Cd. I will get to some of my suggestions later.
    Right know I want to hear back from everyone and see if this could be a concept that could be brought into realization.
    I want to hear what you guys have to say about this idea.
    Do you think it is heading in the right direction? And if so what are some of the things you would like to add to it?
    Does anyone have any ideas on how we could finance this task and how we could present this to our people?
    What type of timeframe we should look at afther we implemented this into our communities too judge it's success and failures.

4. kemetkind

kemetkind Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +61

This is good stuff brother youngblackceo!

I like how you moved from philosophical to pragmatic, ending with a call for discussion specifically about action.

But rather than re-invent the wheel, have you looked into whether any black educators have already developed such a curriculum?

5. Riada

Riada Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +18
    Your focus on education is a crucial one. Education from Day 1 is the key in re-orienting our children. They can be programmed differently.

Based on discussions I've heard and read from various sources, I believe that these curriculums for a "liberation education" already exist. That's the WHAT part. The reason nothing has been implemented is because no one, to my knowledge, has been able to resolve the HOW to implement question.

As you've mentioned, implementation takes resources. IMO, before you can get the resources, you're going to have to deal with the WHY question. You're going to have to answer that question to large numbers of Black people before they will support this. Either that or you will have to convince KEY Black people who can "move and shake" the rest. That is, if you want to start on a large scale.

The WHY and HOW questions are always the toughest questions to answer.

As I had mentioned in another thread, I think setting up private Black day schools or boarding schools is a feasible way to implement your plan.

6. karmashines

karmashines Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +19
    Exactly. And adding to that, the HOW, (if the aim is to get the average black person to implement), must be something that is attainable. Starting a school might be hard for the average black person without being given an exact layout of what you need financially and legally.

Maybe afterschool centers are an easier type of institution to found? There is one that is around my way called Lloyd Irvin Martial Arts Academy. He teaches martial arts (Brazilian Jitsu), but he also encourages self-esteem and provides help with their education. He claims most of his students are on the honor-roll, and most are black kids (same race as him). So he's using his love of martial arts to help in ways beyond just that. I think this same approach could be used for other afterschool centers. For him it was martial arts, for another it might be a story-writing workshop. For another it might be sports. You get the picture.

7. Radical Faith

Radical Faith Well-Known Member MEMBER

Operations Manager
    Ratings:
    +137
    Though I'm all for a school that offers cirriculum that is designed specifically with African ascended people I think if we are going to look at education differently we must look it not just cirriculum but the entire concept of educating period. This is just me but I feel a childs primary education should start at home. We seem to overlook that. We have down played the importance of a parent in the home teaching and raising our children. We have fallen into the social trap of two working parents in the household leaving our children's upbringing left to people other than that childs immediate family. We have let public education become the primary teacher of not only functional and social education but moral education as well. We are fighting hard with the education system to do something it simply can not do. So instead of placing that burden on the education systems we need to put this emphasis back on the family. First students of re-educating black people should be parents. Single parent households are stagnating our progress severely. I'm by no means saying all single mothers should go out and get any man just so a man can be in house but without a visible loving relationship between men and women in the presence of a child it is more than likely this type of lifestyle will be passed on to the child and the cycle will continue. What does have to with education? Everything. Man we must be motivated to and open to the idea the our women may want to be at home and be homemakers. For the sake of our children this is necessary. Far too many of our sisters are homemaker and breadwinners anyway and our children are suffering. Education outside the home should be strickly for the purposes of gaining marketable skills to enter the workforce or entrepeneurship. With the advent of pc's that is all possible. We can have cirriculus designed for African people and who better to teach us who we are than our parents...

Peace....

8. youngblackceo

Ratings:
    +5
    I think all of you guys have made some very good points. I appreciate your replys and I hope we can get some more imput from the other members.
    My goal is to change some of our perceptions about this issue and get us to believe that this is something we could make into a reality.

I think we could do something but I believe we must start off on a much smaller scale if this task is going to be successful.
    The first thing we have to do is select a group of professionals who have experience in child development. We need some teachers who are willing to sacriface time and their energy and teachers who are commited to helping solve our problems. These people already have the degrees and qualifacations required by this country to teach. I think the best people to look for are young men and women who have just graduate and who have just started to teach. These people are young and very energetic and very idealistic. Also I believe they would make the best canidates because they have not yet been beatdown by the current educational system and have not developed bad habits in the classroom.
    These people will also be more easier to mold and re-educate with the type of training we will put them through.

Know before I get into the selection process I want to discuss the finance. The truth is this should be the least of our concerns considering the fact we spend so much of our money on garbage. It should be easy for us to persuade alot of our people to donate to this project.
    I know what you guys are already saying about that statement. It sounds good but yeah I know I'm a realist as well and right know getting us on a grand scale to donate to this project ain't going happen.
    The reality is that we don't need to waste alot of time and energy on trying to convince brain dead people on this idea. We will change their minds down the road with our results.
    What we need to do is get as many people as we can on a grassroot level that are willing to donate any amount of money each week to a account are charity we create to help finance this project.

I was thinking if possible we good create a national account with a financial institution. I don't know if something like this could be made possible but if so we could establish this account and black people who are concerned and want to donate can donate or deposit funds into the account.
    They could be added to a mailing list so they could recieve weekly are monthly updates on how the project is going and get updating info on how much they have invested in the project. They could write it off on their taxes as well. We could also use them and get feedback from the masses to help us with ideas and to see if we are heading in the right direction with our program. They could also give us ideas on what we need to look for in selecting our canidates for teachers.

The point is that everyone will feel like they are involved in this and I think this in itself will create excitement in our community, and develop that since of purpose in our people regardless of their social economic background.
    Can you imagine the excitement and pride people will have in our communities. Knowing that they will play a small part in creating history.
    just think about the conversations black people will engage in and how they will open up their imagination dreaming about the endles possibilities this project could present to us as a people.

Know as far as selecting the teachers I think this will be a process of elimination.
    We would have to come up with a set of rules and regulations as far as want we are looking for in the young men and women that we are looking for.
    We could setup interviews national and select from the list of applicates and bring all of the ones who made it through this process to a neutral site somewhere in this country and test and judge them and from that group we could select the final group of teacher to be the first group of guinea pigs for this project. just joking about the guinea pig thing, but I know you understand what I'm trying to say.

I will continue from here later, right know i want to hear what you guys think about this idea so far.

9. karmashines

karmashines Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +19
    Well, even single mothers could home-school if they can find a decent work-at-home job.

10. youngblackceo

Ratings:
    +5
    I hear you Rad and I believe that if we were to establish a program like this it would motivate alot of parents to get more active in their childs development.
    We have to recognize that alot of our people feel like they don't have the ability to effectively teach and motivate their children.
    I believe if we can get adults involved with this program one of the benefits is that we could send them information because once they donate to the project they will be put on our mailing list.
    We could send them info and learning material that they could share with their family.
    This does alot of things first of all it would get parents involved in their children education. They will also have information that they could use to address their children questions and concerns so now they don't have to feel embarassed are ashamed when they approach their children regarding inquiries about learning and thinking. I think this my be a problem in most of our homes some parents don't get involved because they feel they are ill-equipped to handle their children questions. So they just leave it to outside sources instead of looking like they don't know anything to their children.
    Also this type of interaction between parents and kids. Will also prepare the children in the future for the type of experience we will introduce to them down the road. So when they come to our classrooms it won't be such a shock to them.

When we are successful with this we will be able to produce the people that can go out and create the social situation that gives our women the choice of being able to stay home and take care of our families.