Black Parenting : We need a muppet to teach OUR children to love their hair?

And what exactly would the complaint be?

"Don't be showing me no positive images of Black people."

"what?! You want me to love my hair! How insulting!"

"I don't need you to tell me what to think of my own hair. If I want to hate it that's my business."

Exactly.

Which is why I don't agree to "just turn the tv off."

What??...Just turn it off and ignore this jewel of opportunity right before our very eyes?!

We're always talkin' bout how the White man has told HIStory. But here is a perfect opportunity to teach our children about their glorious hair and their glorious African heritage.

If Sesame Street wanna give little Black girls some self-esteem, well then, let's REALLY give them some knowledge to do so and put the pressure on Sesame Street to teach it.

Where are our Black songwriters who can pen an Afro-centric jingle for this new muppet to sing as well?

why on Earth would you want us to do that? Now brotha info, you know I love you and think the world of you, but show me the post where you listed names and phone numbers of the folks that want to take the word slavery out of school textbbooks. Show me where you urged people to protest against Glen Beck and his "March on Washington." But smaddy get on tv trying to teach our children to love themselves and you're up in arms? Whose side are you on. anyway? I guess if they were promoting Snow White and Goldilocks that would make you feel good.

:10500:

HUH??

I don't understand this sister river......

The message they are sending is subliminal!!

You're mad at me for suggesting that we let our voices be heard about a muppet who has no hair, sporting a wig supposedly teaching our kids how to love their hair? Am i missing something? I have not seen the show, just the picture presented and the way the title of the thread reads it is obviously being taken as disrespectful, so i made the suggestion and posted the numbers and e mail addresses as a way to communicate your/our concerns over the depiction.....Instead of just talking about it amongst ourselves! I said nothing about the song! How could i, i have never heard it...

They, (PBS) obviously don't feel as if we are capable to teach our children about our own hair and you don't feel that that is disrespectful? I don't understand?

show me the post where you listed names and phone numbers of the folks that want to take the word slavery out of school textbbooks. Show me where you urged people to protest against Glen Beck and his "March on Washington.
- I can't, because i didn't! I don't give a (pick a word)_____ about provacateurs/agents like Glen Beck or his momma (if you notice you never see me in those threads)...(the more attention you give them, the more they can use you for their playground) and they can do whatever THEY want with THEIR textbooks! They can take the word slavery out of the books, but they can't take the experience and knowledge of it out of our hearts, minds and souls. And that's what WE should be giving OUR children from birth! Knowledge of Self...

To be worried about a WORD being subtracted from the enemies school books makes it clearer why we don't see the mochery of the depiction of the character being presented to our children...& why they feel they can get away with it, because we obviously are not doing our jobs at home teaching our own! There is already so much about us MISSING from THEIR textbooks that it's a little late in the day to be worried taking another WORD out...

Each 1 teach 1

Whose side are you on. anyway?
- I'll let you tell it sister.....

I guess if they were promoting Snow White and Goldilocks that would make you feel good.
- Smh

But hey, if i'm wrong, i guess i'm wrong....go ahead and enjoy the show!

I love you too sister river

I humbly leave you in peace

Now you talking, brotha,

Turn the tv off and teach our little ones. The lesson of self love is best taught from within. It is still good if the message children get "out there" supports the one they get at home but we have to start with the personal. Turn the boob tube off.

peace

Now i'm really confused...

:qqb019:

:10500:

HUH??

I don't understand this sister river......

The message they are sending is subliminal!!

You're mad at me for suggesting that we let our voices be heard about a muppet who has no hair, sporting a wig supposedly teaching our kids how to love their hair? Am i missing something? I have not seen the show, just the picture presented and the way the title of the thread reads it is obviously being taken as disrespectful, so i made the suggestion and posted the numbers and e mail addresses as a way to communicate your/our concerns over the depiction.....Instead of just talking about it amongst ourselves! I said nothing about the song! How could i, i have never heard it...

They, (PBS) obviously don't feel as if we are capable to teach our children about our own hair and you don't feel that that is disrespectful? I don't understand?

- I can't, because i didn't! I don't give a (pick a word)_____ about provacateurs/agents like Glen Beck or his momma (if you notice you never see me in those threads)...(the more attention you give them, the more they can use you for their playground) and they can do whatever THEY want with THEIR textbooks! They can take the word slavery out of the books, but they can't take the experience and knowledge of it out of our hearts, minds and souls. And that's what WE should be giving OUR children from birth! Knowledge of Self...

To be worried about a WORD being subtracted from the enemies school books makes it clearer why we don't see the mochery of the depiction of the character being presented to our children...& why they feel they can get away with it, because we obviously are not doing our jobs at home teaching our own! There is already so much about us MISSING from THEIR textbooks that it's a little late in the day to be worried taking another WORD out...

Each 1 teach 1

- I'll let you tell it sister.....

- Smh

But hey, if i'm wrong, i guess i'm wrong....go ahead and enjoy the show!

I love you too sister river

I humbly leave you in peace
I'm not mad atcha. I agree that we should teach our children our heritage. I also agree with sista cherryblossom that the names and numbers you provided will best be used to encourage the writers to depict the Black muppets in a positive light

Why you confused? Because I said turn the tv off? We have to turn it off in order to teach but turning it off in my house is not going to keep my child from seeing it somewhere else where I a not there to explain what she is seeing. And like cherryblossom said there are a lot of Black parents who know no more about self love than their children do.

We are attacked on all sides so we can't fight on just one.

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back