Black Parenting : We need a muppet to teach OUR children to love their hair?

MsInterpret

REGISTERED MEMBER
Apr 21, 2007
New Muppet teaches self-esteem to young african american girls

New_muppet_teaches_selc77a81d5-61a4-43a8-acdb-c2c0357f4e3f0001_20101019055633_320_240.JPG

NEW YORK, NY - Self esteem can be very hard to teach, especially to young children so the writers at Sesame Street have created a muppet that they are hoping will help teach young African-American girls to love themselves regardless of their hair texture.

The song about hair is being shared between mothers and daughters and has gone viral on the web.

The new muppet keeps on singing and helping young girls everywhere love who they are.

http://www.abc2news.com/dpp/lifestyle/new-muppet-teaches-self-esteem-to-young-african-american-girls

All natural hair is sexy....mayb it cause ima fan of afros n dreads....I found erykah badu's fro to be sexy....all that hair

N Lauryn hills dreads were sexy on her ^_^

i like all natural...perms digust meh in part cause the more i learned what to put in my hair n what not the more i grew to despise things such as perms

If i ever have a daughter...no perms

New_muppet_teaches_selc77a81d5-61a4-43a8-acdb-c2c0357f4e3f0001_20101019055633_320_240.JPG

NEW YORK, NY - Self esteem can be very hard to teach, especially to young children so the writers at Sesame Street have created a muppet that they are hoping will help teach young African-American girls to love themselves regardless of their hair texture.

The song about hair is being shared between mothers and daughters and has gone viral on the web.

The new muppet keeps on singing and helping young girls everywhere love who they are.

http://www.abc2news.com/dpp/lifestyle/new-muppet-teaches-self-esteem-to-young-african-american-girls
after 50 years of struggle, has it really come

to this?

peace

Shut 'em down.....

Ray Hammerman
212-875-6434 (New York)
ray.hammerman@sesameworkshop.org

Alicia Durand
212-875-6223 (New York)
alicia.durand@sesameworkshop.org

Ellen Lewis
212-875-6396 (New York)
ellen.lewis@sesameworkshop.org

The Public Broadcasting Service
www.pbskids.org

- Hit 'em up and be heard

Also, we can get at their sponsors.........McDonald's is and has always been a huge sponsor of Sesame Street, so some of ya'll might want to ease up on the Cancerous Fries and murder burgers!

We need a muppet to teach OUR children to love their hair?

With the "Good Hair" syndrome still so alive and well amongst our children and their parents......Well, apparently, we do.

And, for many little Black girls of the Sesame Street audience, seeing themselves represented on tv in this manner just may help them by either (A) giving them a lesson they would not get at home or (B) re-inforcing the same lesson they do get at home.

Now, from my understanding the head writer who penned this song was inspired by his adopted daughter from Ethiopia who had bemoaned not having long, golden hair like her Barbie. :cool:

However, that is just another example of how our little Black girls are poisoned with the mindset "If it's White, it's Right" and the closer you can look like a White woman, then the "prettier" you'll be.

So, perhaps instead of protesting this new muppet, Blacks could rally to press Sesame Street to include MORE Afro-centric cultural themes to the show.

....Since they wanna teach little Black girls about how beautiful their natural hair is, well then don't stop at just one muppet singing a cute song about her hair!

.....Let's have a whole Black muppet family with Locks or some Bantu Knots.

...Let's have a Sesame Street segment on natural Black hair showing our young ones little girls from Africa and giving them some history on African hairstyles.

...How about Sesame Street have a segment on Cleopatra and her African hairstyles?

So, if Sesame Street wants to teach little Black girls about their natural hair, then I say let's push them to TEACH the TRUTH! ---Don't just gloss over it and think you've served the African American viewing audience.

They CRACKED the door on this. So, with some momentum, we can BLOW IT WIDE OPEN! :whip:

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back