Black Parenting : We need a muppet to teach OUR children to love their hair?

Discussion in 'Black Parenting' started by MsInterpret, Oct 19, 2010.

1. MsInterpret

MsInterpret Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5,448
    New Muppet teaches self-esteem to young african american girls

[​IMG]

NEW YORK, NY - Self esteem can be very hard to teach, especially to young children so the writers at Sesame Street have created a muppet that they are hoping will help teach young African-American girls to love themselves regardless of their hair texture.

The song about hair is being shared between mothers and daughters and has gone viral on the web.

The new muppet keeps on singing and helping young girls everywhere love who they are.

http://www.abc2news.com/dpp/lifestyle/new-muppet-teaches-self-esteem-to-young-african-american-girls

2. Mikha'el

Mikha'el Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Student
    Ratings:
    +246
    All natural hair is sexy....mayb it cause ima fan of afros n dreads....I found erykah badu's fro to be sexy....all that hair

N Lauryn hills dreads were sexy on her ^_^

i like all natural...perms digust meh in part cause the more i learned what to put in my hair n what not the more i grew to despise things such as perms

If i ever have a daughter...no perms

3. Ankhur

Ankhur Well-Known Member MEMBER

owner of various real estate concerns
    Ratings:
    +3,015
    after 50 years of struggle, has it really come

to this?

4. info-moetry

info-moetry STAFF STAFF

United States
    A+ technician
    Ratings:
    +6,486
    peace

Shut 'em down.....

Ray Hammerman
    212-875-6434 (New York)
    [email protected]

Alicia Durand
    212-875-6223 (New York)
    [email protected]

Ellen Lewis
    212-875-6396 (New York)
    [email protected]

The Public Broadcasting Service
    www.pbskids.org

- Hit 'em up and be heard

Also, we can get at their sponsors.........McDonald's is and has always been a huge sponsor of Sesame Street, so some of ya'll might want to ease up on the Cancerous Fries and murder burgers!

5. cherryblossom

cherryblossom Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5,560
    With the "Good Hair" syndrome still so alive and well amongst our children and their parents......Well, apparently, we do.

And, for many little Black girls of the Sesame Street audience, seeing themselves represented on tv in this manner just may help them by either (A) giving them a lesson they would not get at home or (B) re-inforcing the same lesson they do get at home.

Now, from my understanding the head writer who penned this song was inspired by his adopted daughter from Ethiopia who had bemoaned not having long, golden hair like her Barbie. :cool:

However, that is just another example of how our little Black girls are poisoned with the mindset "If it's White, it's Right" and the closer you can look like a White woman, then the "prettier" you'll be.

So, perhaps instead of protesting this new muppet, Blacks could rally to press Sesame Street to include MORE Afro-centric cultural themes to the show.

....Since they wanna teach little Black girls about how beautiful their natural hair is, well then don't stop at just one muppet singing a cute song about her hair!

.....Let's have a whole Black muppet family with Locks or some Bantu Knots.

...Let's have a Sesame Street segment on natural Black hair showing our young ones little girls from Africa and giving them some history on African hairstyles.

...How about Sesame Street have a segment on Cleopatra and her African hairstyles?

So, if Sesame Street wants to teach little Black girls about their natural hair, then I say let's push them to TEACH the TRUTH! ---Don't just gloss over it and think you've served the African American viewing audience.

They CRACKED the door on this. So, with some momentum, we can BLOW IT WIDE OPEN! :whip:

6. cherryblossom

Ratings:
    +5,560

Yes, I agree to "hit 'em up" but I think our aim should be to turn any
    perceived negative into a positive.

We could use this to our advantage by putting the pressure on for more detailed Afro-centric muppets and themes on Sesame Street.

The blatant hypocrisy between THIS muppet and the Nigerian "Sesame Square" program is a slap in the face to all African descendants.

So, we should be addressing this issue internationally, IMO.

7. largo

largo Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +286
    Well said cherryblossom.

8. info-moetry

info-moetry STAFF STAFF

United States
    A+ technician
    Ratings:
    +6,486
    True indeed

I just saw the other thread you started about the muppets being shown in Nigeria. I hadn't known about it prior, plus i don't watch much tv...

Another thing we can do is turn the tv off all together and teach our own kids the value of having the best hair on earth and how it keeps them connected to nature.

My Aunts in the deep south call it that "good grass"....

peace

9. river

river Watch Her Flow MEMBER

United States
    Author
    Ratings:
    +1,290
    why on Earth would you want us to do that? Now brotha info, you know I love you and think the world of you, but show me the post where you listed names and phone numbers of the folks that want to take the word slavery out of school textbbooks. Show me where you urged people to protest against Glen Beck and his "March on Washington." But smaddy get on tv trying to teach our children to love themselves and you're up in arms? Whose side are you on. anyway? I guess if they were promoting Snow White and Goldilocks that would make you feel good.

10. cherryblossom

Ratings:
    +5,560
    Yes, I agree that too many use the tv and video games as babysitters for their children.

But, just turning it off does not address this issue for the children whose parents don't know any better either. ---(How can they when all they know is some "smooth and silky" WEAVE?!)

Just "turning it off" would just be sticking our heads in the sand.

So often we have talked about telling/teaching our true history, refuting the lies and myths that Europeans have ingrained in us about our own people and everything associated with Africa.

Well, this is a perfect opportunity to start "setting the record straight."

If Black people united and put the pressure on Sesame Street and Sesame Square in Nigeria, we could start reversing some of the "post traumatic slave syndrome" our people suffer from in the US and Colonialism in Africa.

We could use this as a vehicle to teach our children (and adults).

We could use this as a tool of RENEWAL and REVIVAL!

"SAY IT LOUD, I'M BLACK AND I'M PROUD!"