Black People : We must connect

dunwiddat

REGISTERED MEMBER
Sep 17, 2012
Slavery was a brutal way for blacks to be treated. In the Caribbean and the USA black folks endured great suffering.

I have often wondered why the African American people of the USA and the Caribbean do not connect in the way we should. Slavery was abolished in Barbados 30 years after the USA. In the 60's as a nation we were becoming an independent nation from England whilst the minority in the USA were battling the demons of segregation. I believe that since we have the same history we should become more involved. With the advent of the Internet the world has become a global village Destee online has shown what can be achieved.

So let us begin to do our part. We cannot rely on others to do it for us.

I believe that just jumping on Labour Day is not the only thing should connect us. There are many African Americans who have never set foot in another country. Some have never visited another State. This lack of connection prevents us from interacting.

Although we are all blacks there is still a cultural difference and we all must begin to remove the bias and ignorance that is keeping us apart.

We have a festival here in Barbados called Crop Over. This festival commemorated the Slaves who enjoyed a special time after the crop ended.

Now instead of reflecting on what happened in history many are just interested in the revelry of the day.

Barbados Crop Over 2013 - Grand Kadooment Day

FOREDAY MORNING BARBADOS

These aspects of the festival seems to be the only ones that attract most people. It is a big festival it provides the country with income from the tourist industry.

Attachments

• upload_2018-6-29_12-22-43.gif
    upload_2018-6-29_12-22-43.gif
    42 bytes · Views: 55
Slavery was a brutal way for blacks to be treated. In the Caribbean and the USA black folks endured great suffering.

I have often wondered why the African American people of the USA and the Caribbean do not connect in the way we should. Slavery was abolished in Barbados 30 years after the USA. In the 60's as a nation we were becoming an independent nation from England whilst the minority in the USA were battling the demons of segregation. I believe that since we have the same history we should become more involved. With the advent of the Internet the world has become a global village Destee online has shown what can be achieved.

So let us begin to do our part. We cannot rely on others to do it for us.

Hi Sister dunwiddat ... I do agree.

That is what this community is for, its hope, that we can overcome the weapons put upon us.

I said the same years ago ... We Must Communicate.

Thank you for being here, helping us all learn together what has been intentionally denied us.

The why may be rooted in the historical assault on African people for hundreds and hundreds of years.

Sort of like when our enslaved Ancestors were set free, but did not want to leave the plantation.

What explains such a choice. How psychologically devastated must one be to make such a choice.

All we can do is provide the platform and hope others find their way here.

Then more of us can share, talk, heal, love and grow through the trauma.

Love You! :kiss:

:heart:

Destee

Hi Sister dunwiddat ... I do agree.

That is what this community is for, its hope, that we can overcome the weapons put upon us.

I said the same years ago ... We Must Communicate.

Thank you for being here, helping us all learn together what has been intentionally denied us.

The why may be rooted in the historical assault on African people for hundreds and hundreds of years.

Sort of like when our enslaved Ancestors were set free, but did not want to leave the plantation.

What explains such a choice. How psychologically devastated must one be to make such a choice.

All we can do is provide the platform and hope others find their way here.

Then more of us can share, talk, heal, love and grow through the trauma.

Love You! :kiss:

:heart:

Destee

Thanks Destee for your wonderful comments. I believe it can happen.

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back