Black People : We Lived to Tell the Story By Cynthia McKinney

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by oldsoul, Jan 3, 2009.

1. OldSoul

OldSoul Permanent Black Man PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Staying Alive
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +976
    We Lived to Tell the Story; Lebanon Rescued Us By Cynthia McKinney

Yesterday, we met with the President of Lebanon, the Chief of the Military, and the Interior Minister who all thanked us for responding and risking our lives on a mission of mercy; we profusely thanked them for rescuing us.
    What would we have done, stranded out at sea, prohibited from reaching our destination, low on fuel, with a badly damaged boat if Lebanon had not accepted us? Lebanon sent their ships to find us. Lebanon rescued us. Lebanon welcomed us. And we are truly thankful.
    It's official now. We've been told that the sturdy, wood construction of our boat, Dignity, is the reason we are still alive. Fiberglass would probably not have withstood the impact of the Israeli attack and under different circumstances, we might not be here to tell the story. Even at that, the report that came to us yesterday after the Captain and First Mate went back to Sour (Tyre) to inspect the boat was that it was sinking, the damage is extensive, and the boat will take, in their estimation, at least one month to repair. Tomorrow, we will bring the Dignity from Sour to Beirut. And now, we must decide what to do and from where we will do it and how we are to get back to wherever that might be.
    My personal, and I know the group's, thanks must go to Al Jazeera, that allowed three of their reporters to be onboard with us on our voyage. As a result, Al Jazeera carried the story of the Dignity live, from castoff in Cyprus when our spirits were high, right up through the manacing maneuvers of the huge, super fast Israeli ships before they rammed us, the Israeli calls on the ship phone after the ramming calling us terrorists and subversives and telling us to return to Cyprus (even though the Israelis later claimed that they didn't know who we were, they knew enough about us to tell us where we had come from), and the fact that we didn't have enough fuel to follow their instructions, right up to their threat to fire at us if we didn't turn around, ending with our beaten-up boat limping into Sour harbor in Lebanon. Al Jazeera carried our story as "breaking news" and performed a real service to its audience and to us. Al Jazeera called the Israelis to inquire about the incident right as it was happening and I am sure the Israelis were prepared to leave none to tell the story. Al Jazeera told the story and documented it as it was happening.
    One of those Al Jazeera reporters with us was Sami El-Haj, who was detained in Guantanamo by the United States for six incredibly long years. What an honor to even exchange glances with such a humble man who had endured so much pain at the hands of the U.S. government. I apologized to him that my tax dollars were being used in such a despicable way. And Sami's crime according to the U.S.? Born in Sudan, and reporting for Al Jazeera in Afghanistan, Sami was the wrong color, the wrong nationality, the wrong religion, reporting for the wrong news outfit, telling us the truth about a wrong war. And for that he survived incarceration for six long years. Sami El-Haj, Guantanamo prisoner number 345.
    Another incredibly committed journalist who was with us was CNN's Karl Penhaul. Karl reported the truth even when his own station was repeating Israeli disinformation. The fact that we were traveling with these alert journalists added to the flat-footedness and obvious crudeness of the Israeli response. Sadly, Israel has changed its story too many times to count, and that's because they are not telling the truth.
    We lived to tell the story. Karl's incredible reporting, just a portion of our story, can be seen on CNN at:
    http://www.cnn.com/2008/WORLD/meast/12/30/gaza.aid.boat/index.html
    where there's also video and a photo of our damaged boat. A little more of the story and film of the extensive damage can be seen at:
    http://www.cnn.com/2008/WORLD/meast/12/30/gaza.aid.boat/index.html#cnnSTCVideo
    This video and the photos of Karl's report is particularly interesting given that Israel claims that our boat was only scratched and that, in actuality, our captain, while trying to outmaneuver them, damaged their warship.
    I'm told that CNN only played my full statement once--and that's the time that it aired live. Of course, they cut the reference to the U.S.S. Liberty. What are they afraid of?
    Last night I was on PressTV.com, along with others who were on the Dignity, and we debated a representative from WINEP, the Washington Institute for Near East Policy. I reminded the audience that the Palestinians don't have nuclear weapons, depleted uranium munitions, white phosphorous, or F-16s, but the Israelis do. The facts, however, tend to get garbled after being processed by the "Grand Wurlitzer" organ of state-sponsored disinformation utilizing the world's press.
    With the truth clearly on our side, Israel has been reduced to releasing the ridiculous bombast below, given to me by a reporter who came to our hotel in Beirut for a visit. With their multiple, conflicting stories, it is clear that the Israelis did not expect us to live to tell the truth.
    On the drive from Sour through Saida to Beirut, we were welcomed like heroes because our ordeal had been seen by everyone on Al Jazeera. The mayor of Sour came to welcome us. The mayor of Saida insisted that we stop there, on our way to Beirut, for a special ceremony. But there was something else that was visible along our drive, and that is the devastation that Lebanon, itself, has received as a result of the Israeli war machine. The scars of the war are still evident everywhere. I will write more on that tomorrow.
    And one final note, President-elect Obama roared like a mighty lion onto the political scene, but now he is as silent as a lamb in the face of the death and destruction that is happening in Gaza. As we approach the birthday celebration of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. let us remember what Dr. King said:
    "In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends."
    And after five days of aerial bombardment by Israel, the carnage in Gaza continues.
    Here is the palaver that the Israelis put out for public consumption. It is pitiful that a powerful and mighty country like Israel would be reduced to publishing something so petty and weak as the following press release dated December 30, 2008:

Consulate General of Israel to the Southeast
    Press Release
    Office of Media Affairs
    FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE 12.30.2008​
    Israel continues to take its humanitarian relief efforts in Gaza seriously. Border crossings into Gaza remain open, and every effort is being made to deliver aid to the Palestinian people. Nearly 100 trucks carrying relief supplies entered Gaza on the 28th & 29th of December and additional shipments are arriving. Israel is working closely with UNSCO, UNRWA, the Red Cross, and WHO to ensure the entry of the required aid, especially food and medical equipment.
    Unfortunately, former Congresswoman Cynthia McKinney has taken it upon herself to commit an act of provocation, leading a small boat of supposed assistants into the conflict zone. She endangered herself, her assistants, and the vessel's crew. The Israeli navy hailed Ms. McKinney but the former Congresswoman failed to respond, thereby leading to the incident. We regret that during this time of crisis, while Israel is battling with the terrorist organization of Hamas and defending its citizens, that we are forced to deal with Ms. McKinney's irresponsible behavior.
    Consulate General of Israel
    to the Southeast
    1100 Spring St NW, Ste 440
    Atlanta, GA 30309-2823

Permission is granted to distribute in its entirety for educational and informational purposes.

2. OldSoul

OldSoul Permanent Black Man PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Staying Alive
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +976
  3. KWABENA

KWABENA STAFF STAFF

United States
    Leader-Student-Teacher
    Ratings:
    +367
    ...So why did no one vote for her, instead of Barack "Change-chosen one" Obama?

KWABENA

4. Fine1952

Fine1952 Happy Winter Solstice MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +2,783
    She is truly

a great lady...! Thx for posting this -- I knew the ship she was on had got rammed bur I did not know the outcome

5. mazimtaim

mazimtaim Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +50
    I am pretty sure "Blacks" would have chosen here, had she been able to win. For some reason, we seem to forget. Barack had to prove to "Blacks" that he could win. Also, some Africans are better suited for tasks outside of poltical life. Cynthia McKenney might just be one of those Africans. Too much compromise has to happen within the "system". Some need to stay outside and be critics.

6. KWABENA

KWABENA STAFF STAFF

United States
    Leader-Student-Teacher
    Ratings:
    +367
    She was not able to win; everyone voted for Obama! lol

Also, are you meaning to tell me that folks bypassed Sistah McKinney to see if Obama can "prove" he could win? That's like saying you and I are running for the same position. In order for me to win, I have to prove to folks that I can win. However, you are very well known and respected by them, so you do not have to prove anything. The point is, simply put, if I am the better choice and you know me better, shouldn't you vote for me? If Sistah McKinney was the better choice, why did they not vote for her, and instead wait for another candidate to prove he could win?

Neither way you put it, the fact remains that Obama was the hype of the nation, whereas Sistah McKinney was "just another person" in November. I suppose since the election is over now, we can come out and speak on how great a sistah McKinney is, now that she does not have to worry about getting the vote of our people to win.

SMH...

KWABENA

7. emanuel goodman

emanuel goodman Well-Known Member MEMBER

social worker
    Ratings:
    +759
    If this man is really about change than he will speak out about these horrfic things. However that is only a dream for i remember whom oprah winfey and jesse jackson were standing behind during his speech downtown after he had one the election. The jews. They funded his campaign and is using him and us for there cause just like old times. Kind of funny aint it that they are bombs away now that bush is a lame duck!

8. OnTyme

OnTyme Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5
    Isreal has gone so far, that I can't think of anything they can possibly do to redeem themselves. Unfortunately it is the evangelical base of this country that are their enablers...sad. As for Cynthia McKinney what a strong and brave women...

Today they went so far as to fire on a UN run school killing 30.
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/7814054.stm

9. anAfrican

anAfrican Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    The Meek !Shall! Inherit the Earth.
    Ratings:
    +745

take a look back through the forum: one member said something about her having put on weight. someone else mentioned that independents don't get very far. some might have pointed out that she didn't get any airtime. it was undoubtedly also mentioned that she is a woman. additionally, she sought to start impeachment proceedings; obama said early on that he was inclined to pardon ...

to my mind, cynthia mckinney was the only candidate that actually resonated with the true "black african american experience". she would have cleaned house exquisitely!! (nope; i didn't take part in supporting this election farce. to my mind, taking part in anything that this "society" advocates/believes is a "sin": knowingly participating in something that one knows to be wrong has to be a greatest sin there is.)

does anyone remember this remix of her speech after katrina: "it appears to me that the american people might have a criminal syndicate running their government"? of course, this "attitude" of hers might not have "resonated" very well with the "powers that be" leading to the reduction in airtime.

there is also a link, somewhere around here, to a speech that she and her running mate made; i thought that one was pretty powerful as well.

the hype was on obama. hasn't anyone learned that when "they" hype something it is bound to be only good for them, and traumatic for us? but, after 1300 years of being considered, conditioned and treated as a slave, i guess it stands to reason that there might be some minor cognitive anomalies ...

10. OnTyme

OnTyme Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5
    yeah i have been doing a lot of reading but I don't want to come off like snoop and dr. dre (tee hee as in not nosy)...But I am no angel, so maybe i will but I have enough to deal with I dont need to be an Angel of rage..so I guess this women is a women, and she is now fat, and outspoken so that is why folks don't like her? perhaps they refuse to learn the truth of the government and they are just jealous of her? I mean the america is awful right? but I better stay out of the crossfire and keep the peace, huh?
    but she is as you put it living a black African American experience, and well, I sure wish this women a successful political career, but perhaps she is a better human rights activist. one of my dear fellow students in classes with me Laila totally reminds me of her. beautiful person, some guys are practically stalking her. desperate...

cognitive anomalies have nothing to do with slavery by the way...today's slave...self hate is more like it......a severe head injury, like some that Mohammad Ali suffered would be what you call a cognitive anomaly in an adult.
    guess everyone is a scientist...:qqb009:
    peace