Black People : We are survivor machines

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by African_Prince, Apr 2, 2008.

1. African_Prince

African_Prince Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +48
    This is the only reason why we exist. Around 3 billion years ago, in the primeval ocean, the first self-replicating molecules occured from an accidental arrangement of non-living chemicals. The most adaptable molecules, which were weeeded out through natural selection, began creating 'survivor machines' for themselves as a means of continuing their existence, these first survival machines were the first primitive cells.

All animals (this includes homo sapiens) and all biological organisms in general are 'survival machines' created by their genes as a means of propagating their own existence (the existence of the gene, that is, not the organism). Our brains may have evolved to the point where they 'serve' themselves as opposed to our genes but really, this is the only reason why we exist.

2. Edward Williams

Edward Williams Well-Known Member MEMBER

Produce Justice
    Ratings:
    +58
    A roach survives. Survival is just a start...a good start...but just a start. Fo all of us that has survived and is surviving...what's next? Just to continue ot survive?

3. African_Prince

United States
    Ratings:
    +48
    From an organism centred perspective, there is no objective meaning to life. You could say the meaning of our lives is to survive, which we have an instinct to do, but animals sacrifice their lives for other animals all the time, not to mention they (at least humans) occasionally commit suicide. From an organism centred perspective, the purpose of life is whatever we want it to be. The thing is, our 'wants' are influenced by our genes, if not flat out determined by them.

From a gene centred perspective, the only objective purpose to the life of an organism is for that organism to propagate it's genes. Genes don't "care" about their survival but they're "programmed" to continue their existence. They created us exclusively for this purpose.

Organism's don't always behave in best interests of their genes,of course. The fact that we use contraception when we have sex proves this. Just because we've evolved to the point where we can 'do our own thing' doesn't change the fact that we are biological machines created by our genes for the purpose of propagating their existence.

I recommend the Selfish Gene by Richard Dawkins. From what I've read, so far, it's a fascinating book.

4. Edward Williams

Produce Justice
    Ratings:
    +58
    No thanks. People interactions are more fascinating to me. Besides, by talking to people, I get the benefit of all of the books they've read and everything they've ever been told by anyone else who has read books.

The question that is still unanswered is...what's next?

5. African_Prince

United States
    Ratings:
    +48
    What do you mean 'what's next'? You are born, you survive, you die. This will go on for generations and generations until life on Earth ends, either from a comet or some other natural disaster or because the sun will naturally die out in around 4.5 billion years. Even if we colonize another planet, in trillions or quadrillions of years, I'm not sure, all of the material objects in the universe will eventually disintegrate into sub-atomic particles.

6. Edward Williams

Produce Justice
    Ratings:
    +58
    Thank you.

7. truetothecause

truetothecause Well-Known Member MEMBER

The~rapist
    Ratings:
    +843
    Bravo!!!!..People interactions ARE more interesting and stimulating.

African Prince...Yes WE have "survived" for a very long time. Yet, in all that I've learned in this life, it's about the LIVING!

Me...i'm ready to LIVE ...when and how do WE get to do that:?:
    M.E.

:hearts2:

8. African_Prince

United States
    Ratings:
    +48
    I didn't know it was an either/or thing. It is actually possible to read AND interact with other people...

I wouldn't disagree and I couldn't tell you how to go about living. Just because we exist because of our genes doesn't mean we have to live for them, we live for ourselves and other people!

9. truetothecause

The~rapist
    Ratings:
    +843
    Yes...is ALWAYS about the Both/And.
    Me....i've done enough reading...now...I wanna TALK to people...to each other...I'll share what I've learned and I'm interested in hearing what you have. Of course....I still read as well.....

Also, my apologies if you got the impression I was looking for you or anyone else to "tell me how to go about living"...I was not.
    I was following up on the quesiton posed by Edward and was and remain interested in your thoughts about it. How do YOU go about living or do you see yourself in survival mode:?:
    Are you ok with "surviving":?: and/or do you sense or think there is something other than "surviving" which WE as you pointed out, have been DO~ing for thousands of years now.

M.E.

10. truetothecause

The~rapist
    Ratings:
    +843
    I'm interested in knowing more of what you mean with this statement.

M.E.