Black People : We are NOT our own worst enemy

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by oldsoul, Sep 12, 2008.

1. OldSoul

OldSoul Permanent Black Man PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Staying Alive
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +976
    We are NOT our own worst enemy by Conrad Worrill

How many times have you heard someone of African ancestry say that “Black people are our own worst enemy?” If you have lived among African people in this country (USA) for any length of time, I am sure you have heard this remark made many times. Unfortunately, the system of white supremacy developed in the western world, has caused far too many African people in America to believe that the problem we face as a people is “us.” We must remind ourselves, time and time again, that African people in America were captured from Africa and brought to America against our will. As the “1974 Black Capital” article asserted, “Our introduction to the West was in the form of a commodity raped from Africa to be used as labor, capital, chattel, and currency to build a nation for someone else.” In the article, it explained that “. . . our history tells us that we were below slaves and less than human. We were things who were traded for horses, our women used as breeders and our children raised like chickens.”
    Finally, the “Black Capital” article pointed out that during the slavery process - “The level of our existence was based upon the skill and the will of those who owned us. They had the right to deem that which was best for their property. Therefore, the profit motive and the skill of the slave master determined how this Black wealth would bring the highest return on his investment.” This formula is still at work today. Just examine the role of African people in the entertainment and athletic industry. White people own and control these industries and use African people to “bring the highest return off their investment.”
    If African people are going to ever have a serious mental breakthrough in terms of how we analyze our condition in America, we will have to resolve the question “are we our own worst enemy,” or has the system of white supremacy created a set of conditions that continues to keep us in an oppressed state? We must accept responsibility for answering this question as well as accepting responsibility for solving all the problems we face as a people. But in accepting responsibility for addressing the problems we face as an African people in America, we must have a framework out of which to properly conceptualize our problems.
    In 1852, the great African thinker in America, Dr. Martin R. Delany, wrote one of the most important books that accurately described our condition at that moment in history that is still applicable to our condition today. The title of the book is The Condition, Elevation, Emigration, and Destiny of the Colored People of the United States and Official Report of the Niger Valley Exploring Party. Delany wrote, “Unfortunately for us a body, we have been taught that we must have some person to think for us, instead of thinking for ourselves. So accustomed are we to submission and this kind of training, that it is with difficulty, even among the most intelligent of the colored people, an audience may be elicited for any purpose whatever, if the expounder is to be colored. . .” Further Delany wrote, “and the introduction of a subject is treated with indifference, if not contempt, when the originator is a colored person. Indeed, the most ordinary white person, is almost revered while the most qualified colored person is totally neglected, nothing from them is appreciated.” In resolving the question of whether “we are our own worst enemy,” we should reflect that for over three hundred years white people openly discussed African people as a problem (1600 - 1900). Today they still discuss us as a problem, but the language is coded differently.
    As Dr. Anderson Thompson has written on the discussions that white people have had on what they have historically called “the Negro Problem,” “There is a duality in the story of western white man and his culture, which, paradoxically, is thrown into sharp relief wherever the Black man appears (or is dropped) on the scene.” Dr. Thompson says, “Whenever or wherever the white man exists in proximity to the Blacks the Negro Question appears.” The idea of the “Negro Question” is discussed further when Dr. Thompson writes, “The Negro Question in Western society has been a perennial subject of endless international debates, actions, decisions, wars, riots, lynchings - all of which flow out a recurring western dialogue: a conversation (for Europeans only) which for a long time took place between white men over what should be done with, about or to the Blacks they found in their captured territories.” Concluding on this point, Dr. Thompson informs us, “The International Negro Question, or Nlgger Question has, for the most part, been an integral past of European Civilization. Wherever in the world there existed Europeans in proximity to the African, inevitably the question arose as to how (not why nor whether) the Black man should be exploited or should be eliminated.”
    We are not our own worst enemy - even though some African people in this country behave in manners that are not in our best interest. What we must continue to do is to understand this negative African behavior and assume responsibility for changing it. The enemy and problem is white supremacy and its continued impact on us.

2. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,745

:SuN034:the white man is the problem, the black man is the solution....

3. AAlicia25

AAlicia25 Well-Known Member MEMBER

Administrative Assistant
    Ratings:
    +2
    jamesfrmphilly, you always blow me away!

Conrad Worrill if you are out there listening,
    The dilemma of different races being unable to co-exist peacefully is Universal. I am not minimizing the struggle between white and black Americans, however, some people just find it hard to agree, be nice and or considerate. Let's face it, its human nature to be cruel. Most importantly, there are many reasons for the problem of cruelty and injustice.

The way an individual relates to other people stems from their parents. It is a rippling effect that tumbles down from generation to generation. Whatever mindset that parents instill or lacked to instill in their children usually, but not always, is the way they perceive the world. But I am sure you guys knew that already!

It is not only a division of black and white; other races look down on each other too. For example, in China, lighter Chinese people look down on darker ones. My (black) best friend lives in the projects and everyday she deals with racism from Hispanic people. As a black woman, Hispanic, Indian, Chinese, Japanese, white, etc. people are sometimes rude to me, some of the rudeness may be due to the color of my skin and sometimes it may be the person’s personality. I do not know. I do know that we have come far enough to know, that the motivation behind every nasty look, injustice or mean remark is not always racism.

I was watching t.v. yesterday morning, and there was a discussion on police brutality and what can be done to prevent these horrific situations. One of the guest speakers was an African- American man, and he said these situations are due to cultural differences and misinterpretation. He explained, ‘…that African- American’s are very passionate and we tend to express our emotions with hand gestures and more expression in our face and body. Caucasians misinterpret this as aggressive behavior and then act accordingly…’ I agree with him. There are many differences between our cultures and because we do not interact with each other on a daily basis, when we do come together it’s like meeting a person from a foreign country.

I have witness many single parents that struggle due to low income, are unable to provide their children with proper parental supervision. Their children are then forced to learn how to interact with the world on their own. For example, a black single mother with three teenage boys’ leaves for work early, gives specific instructions for her sons to get up on time and not be late for school. Her children instead do the complete opposite and chances are they have been doing this throughout their entire academic careers. Why, because they have no one (there at that moment) to discipline and structure their lives. Children cannot raise themselves. Many would argue that, the reason this woman cannot tend to her children is because she is working and is oppressed. Who knows the reason why this family is the way they are, oppression could just be the answer. However this situation occurs in many communities.

These three boys not going to school robs others and themselves of many advantages. Their home is not a United Nations filled with different ethnicities they can interact with. What other place than school, can they give and have the opportunity to be exposed to other races? Where can they be project partners, debate, get tutored, be tutors, or study with a person of different races throughout the whole year? This example is one of many that show how individuals learn to interact with others. Most importantly, this situation is not limited to only the African-American community.

How many times have we heard of a girl being raped by her mother’s boyfriend, or an eight year old child having to take care of his two younger siblings because their parent (male or female) is too strung out or intoxicated to feed them, or of a brother and sister being beaten every night by a frustrated unemployed parent? These situations are not unique to only our communities. It is these situations that many people come from no matter what race, and especially where they developed the inability to relate to other people because they are so emotionally mislead and or traumatized.

It is definitely a mixture of lack of primary and academic education. It takes two, three, even four to tango. Ignorance is running rampant and it comes from all races in both directions. Interacting with other people of other races may not completely erase racism, but it will definitely promote understanding.

4. Clyde C Coger Jr

Clyde C Coger Jr going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,079
    In the Spirit of Sankofa!

AAlicia25,
    :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

5. jamesfrmphilly

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,745
    during slavery times on the plantations of america there was much interaction between people of different races.
    it did not promote understanding.

6. AAlicia25

AAlicia25 Well-Known Member MEMBER

Administrative Assistant
    Ratings:
    +2
    Back then African- American slaves were viewed as assets and sources of income. The relationship between all whites and blacks was boss and subordinate. People are changing and I urge you to join us. This kind of negative thinking will only place us steps back into the past instead of steps forward into a bright and equal future.

Let me give you an example… One day me and my ex-boyfriend were eating in an all you can eat buffet and there were four really, really old Caucasians sitting behind us. Me and my ex over heard their conversation, which went something like this, “… there are a lot of good jobs coming up,” one said, “Yea, even the [email protected] are getting better jobs too…” another said, then all four nodded and said remarks in agreement. My ex then whispered to me, “Thank God they only have a little bit of time left on this earth.” His remark was funny at the time but has a very serious underlining meaning. Your views are very similar to the four Caucasians I mentioned above, believe it or not. These are the thoughts of the olden times; let’s not continue to harbor negative emotions and strive to educate the new generation of Caucasians who are willing to learn and relate. Besides, the idea that blacks were inferior was just propaganda to ensure others thought lowly about blacks, and continue to give them menial work. Unfortunately, these ideas seeped deep into the subconscious of many African –Americans at that time and future generations to come; some non- blacks in need of building their own egos and not smart enough to realize this inaccuracy continue to perpetuate this misconception. It’s like television today, some people believe everything they see on TV, and then apply it to reality but, the more intelligent ones do a live and active research for themselves to get the real truth.

Though we are in a day and age where knowledge are at our fingertips with the click of a button, there are those who still live in their own, uneducated, word of mouth informed, untraveled worlds. This is where you come in, to enlighten and give these unfortunate individuals the positive, educated African –American experience!

We are now interacting with people of different ethnicities in a day and age of enlightenment and technological advances. We are no longer in the age of Brown v. Board of Education of Topeka. Interracial dating is no longer met with the lynching of an African-American individual. More people are open and willing to learn. Please, I beg of you come and join us!

7. Clyde C Coger Jr

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,079

AAlicia25,
    :bowdown: :teach: :bowdown:

You go girl, if that is permissible to say!

8. jamesfrmphilly

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,745
    as i do not share your views i am to be disrespected?

where have i disrespected you for your views?​

i have been on the planet a lot longer than you have and i have more experience than you have. i am also highly intelligent, well read and wired. who do you think you are to tell me to join you in the 21rst century? i take it that in your new world of inter racial dating respect for elders is a thing of the past? i take it that you feel that one who does not share your view is to be put down. if your world is filled with ignorant, rude and arrogant people such as your self, i will take a pass.

if you co sign those who insult me then you are also insulting me. where is it that i have insulted and disrespected you?

ignorance combined with arrogance is a terrible affliction.

9. Clyde C Coger Jr

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,079

Come on, lighten up james. Remember Big Hank!

10. jamesfrmphilly

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,745
    no, you lighten up. i do not insult others and i do not accept insult from others. i feel an apology is due me.

Users found this page by searching for:

1. black own worst enemy

2. black people are there own worst enemy