Black Sports : WBC says JT has to fight #1 contender Wink

Discussion in 'Black Sports' started by MississippiRed, Dec 14, 2005.

1. MississippiRed

MississippiRed Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +34
    All right fight fans....here's the link to the news we've all been waiting for.....

http://www.thesweetscience.com/boxing-article/3062/boxing-news-sulaiman-serves-notice-taylor-wright/

JT and his promoter have already said they wanted to get JT a fight in Arkansas with a less challenging fighter in the spring but I wonder if the WBC's ruling will change those plans...a mandatory defense against the #1 contender that may just be the best middleweight in the world right now...what do yall think......I'm hoping this gets done really really really hoping JT and his folk don't just give up the belt to duck my man....I've followed Winky Wright for a long time and have watched as top notch fighters ducked and dodged him but this time if JT won't fight him that would just be disgraceful and disrespectful to the sport of boxing.....

If it does get done.....Winky Wright will whoop on JT like he whooped on Tito.....in JT's last fight with Bhop he showed me that he's tetative about getting in and getting blasted....I'm not saying you have to like getting hit but getting popped really bothers JT and he seems to get frustrated and confused when he can't get off and work.....if he thought Bhop was frustrating and hard to hit cleanly with until he's in there with Wink...

MississippiRed

2. panafrica

panafrica Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +194
    I think ideally JT (and Lou Dibella) wants to wait until Winky get a little older, so he can get credit for beating another past his prime great. Real champs don't take breaks, they fight the best competition. I also think that Lou wants to collect as much money as possible before putting JT into a situation where he could conceivably lose.

3. MississippiRed

Ratings:
    +34
    Exactly......I think they want to get a couple easy money fights in and hold the belts a minute all the while hoping Wink's age catches up with him....I don't think that strategy will work though especially with the ruling coming down from the WBC.....plus Winky is in his prime now at 34 he's learn how to fight smarter ....so unless JT is willing to give up the belt , which would kill his credibility as a legitimate Middleweight champ it would show him to be afraid and as you know there's nothing worse than a fighter acknowledging that he's afraid of another fighter......so in effect they have to take this fight sometime next year.......

JT and his promoter know that right now he isn't ready for Winky..JT has the physical gifts but not the experience yet he makes a lot of mistakes and leaves himself open a lot....especially to the right...which as a Southpaw myself like Winky is a beautiful thing.....because that's Wink's lead punch he'd pepper JT with it constantly and consistently plus JT doesn't move his head at all making him an easy target and his promoter and handlers know this and know with Winky being a Southpaw this sets JT up straightway for a beating.because the only way he can get away from the right lead since JT doesn't move his head and doesn't use lateral movement or have very good defense will be to slide to his right heading right into Wink's left...all in all a bad situation.......man I can't wait to see how this works out.....

MississippiRed

4. Monetary

Monetary going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Economist
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +236
    Can't wait to see it.

MS...I totally agree with you on your analysis of JT. But, I don't think Winky will knock him out though. Winky doesn't have that power...BUT, punches over time will wear any fighter down.

If I were Taylor, I'd take a good look at Winky's last fight with Sulaiman. Sulaiman was all over the place...very difficult for Winky to hit him. Winky was getting tattooed in that fight. But, Sulaiman doesn't have knockout power...so those punches didn't accumulate enough to affect Winky.

I have to give it to Winky though. He was figuring Sulaiman out...and started tattooing him a little from the middle of the bout onward. Winky is a thinker in the ring. Bigups to Winky. Like Pan said...Winky is getting wiser.

5. MississippiRed

Ratings:
    +34
    Yeah I have to agree with that Wink ain't knocking nobody out don't know if I'd rather get knocked out or just beat on for 12 though......

Yeah Pan is right Winky is learning and getting mentally better with each fight...I didn't see the soliman fight but heard through the grapevine that he worked him like a puzzle....and once he got him figured and timed he went to work...that's the sign of a truly great fighter and that's what I didn't see in JT with Bhop...he couldn't figure out how to get to him and that's why you never saw him...go to work...... granted he's young and only has roughly has half the fights Winky has but he needs to speed up that learning curve pretty quick here or he's going to be the one getting figured out and he's not an adaptable fighter so he can't change his fight once he's figured out and that is not a good thing....could lead to 1 title defense and out........

on the bright side though even if he loses and keeps working his craft when he's about 33 or so he'll have the skills necessary to get the belts and hold em......we'll see .....my money is on Winky if this gets done......

MississippiRed

6. kemetkind

kemetkind Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +61
    man pleeze ya'll crazy Bhop was running both fights cause JT got stone in them fists and he just as quick as anybody in the class. Yeah he's still learning but JT in totally different weight class than winky- he probably could fight at light heavyweight.

If they don't fight it will be about the money - JT ain't scared of nobody he ain't mayweather.

Bhop wasn't over the hill like ya'll say I bet bhop and winky would have a 12 round boring fight and bhop would probably win.

All the so call experts didn't give JT a chance first or second fight with bhop and now they all sware winky is the "best" in the world...I don't see it. Winky right got NO power to hurt JT and if JT don't respect your power he's willing to take some to get his off...he's quick enough to do it.

People give winky so much props for what? Tito? Tito was taylor made for winky and didn't even come in to that fight in shape...no defense - just walk in and try to battle. JT got heavier hands and WAAY more speed than TITO or winky. JT is an bonafide ATHLETE.

don't sleep on da rock.

7. panafrica

Ratings:
    +194
    You are obviously from Arkansas!

Bernard Hopkins was not running from Jermaine Taylor (them lumps he had when both fights were over are proof), that is how he fights. At least that is the style he developed later in his career (much like Jordan became a jump shooter in his 30s). Hopkins is far from over the Hill, as he gave a 27 year old (supposdely the future of the division) fighter all he could handle. However he is well past his prime, as an 41 year old athlete would be.

"Stone" in JT's fist? You must be confusing him with Jeff "Left Hook" Lacy! JT's power has yet to be determined, as he couldn't even knockout William Joppy, who Trinidad bounced around the ring. Most fighters knockout a string of bums on their way to the top. A fighter's true power isn't clear until they start fighting elite fighters (B-A list fighters as Lennox Lewis used to say). Jermaine Taylor has just arrived at the top, and the reason he hasn't gotten the respect of the boxing press or boxing fans (outside of Arkansas) is because just barely squeaked by an aged legendary fighter. In other words, JT still has to prove himself, and until he does...everyone will be picked to beat him (or at least have a chance against him).

P.S. That Mayweather being scared comment doesn't even deserve a response!

8. Agent_Jack

Agent_Jack Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +2
    Ditto on the Mayweather comment Brother Pan. Anyway, it depends on how the people respond to JT. If the boxing fans become enthralled with JT, then he will duck Winky a couple of fights to make some easy money and generate some PPV money. BHop was the draw on the last fight, not JT. If JT can warrant that type of attention, please believe he won't see Winky until 07.

9. kemetkind

kemetkind Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +61
    Of course I'm from little rock

yeah bhop may have changed his style but that style is running. Roy Jones ran from Antonio Tarver and can claim that was just his "style" too, the fight was boring because bhop wanted to run and wait for JT to barge in and get countered but if JT so dumb why didn't he fall for it and chase after him once he got the early lead?

JT got caught and prolly did lose that first fight or at least it was a draw but he didn't have no major lumps after fight 2.

I cannot believe my natural black ears? Say what? Now in order to take down JT people want to start downgrading bhop....lol. Too funny. Bhop wasn't slow, he wasn't out of shape - he was just runnin...lol... JT might not have knocked out Joppy but he beat Joppy up so bad you couldn't even hardly recognize his face.

Yeah - but don't really matter who get picked what happens in the ring is what counts. Winky got popped over and over by a soliman who was STR8 GARBAGE. Dude was just wild throwing 10,000 punches every round with NO Defense and he only lost by 2 rounds to Winky.

I knew after that fight winky's was gettin more hype than necc.

winky would probably try to fight JT same way bhop did...that's the reason nobody want to fight Winky- his style is boring he's a pro fighting like an amateur trying to out point everyone with that peekabo style and no power.

I don't hear nobody talking about how Winky beat OVER THE HILL shuga shane?

People hate on JT cause he ain't the typical thugged out image and he gets support from establishment media...and cause he's from the south and ain't trying to hide it.

They want to criticize him now when in fact he HAS handled every challenge put his way so far and he's still a very young, relatively inexperienced fighter.

Ain't nobody even LOOKED DECENT against bhop in 10 years - let alone beat him twice....who took the robe off Tito first? How old was he when he did that?

As for mayweater - he might be p4p best but he been dodging real fights for 2 years...and I don't think he wanted to fight nobody decent at 140 especially not hatton.... everybody jumping on his bandwagon but zab judah ain't no play welterweight.

10. panafrica

Ratings:
    +194
    You know Kemet, now that you've admitted you're from AR, I'll have a hard time taking you seriously. However, since you "acknowledge" JT probably lost the 1st fight, I'll admit Hopkins lost the 2nd. I don't think you are correct in thinking JT doesn't get support because he doesn't fit the media image of a fighter. Evander Holyfield also didn't fit this image, but has since become one of the most beloved boxers in history. Holyfield proved himself in the ring (wars against Dwight Qawi, Riddick Bowe, Mike Tyson, and Lennox Lewis), and that earned him respect. I actually like JT, indeed I think he is a talented fighter. But he is still unproven as far as I'm concerned. I'm not impressed with what he did against Hopkins. Jeff Lacy is the more talented of the two.

Also before I forget, Winky Wright struggled against JC Candelo before spanking Shane Mosley and Tito. Don't get too excited about JT's chances based off his performance against Soliman. Wright has a tendancy to fight down to his competition, but he shines against the big names. Lastly, care to name some names of the fighters Floyd Mayweather has been ducking?