WATERMELON - WATER-FRUIT

Discussion in 'Black Health and Wellness' started by KWABENA, Nov 25, 2006.

1. KWABENA

KWABENA STAFF STAFF

United States
    Leader-Student-Teacher
    Ratings:
    +367
    Shem-Hotep Family:

I just did some reading, and found out that Watermelon originated from the Motherland (Kemet). Additionally, I found that it contains a Water content of 92%, which makes it so heavy. The heavier the Watermelon, the more water it has. I encourage those of us who do not know to eat more Watermelon. At this point, I think it is better than Spring and Purified Water.

http://my.dietpower.com/watermelon.php?404;http://www.dietpower.com:80/watermelon.htm

Anyone else have anything to say about Watermelon, or what it contains, health benefits/deficits?

KD

2. OmowaleX

OmowaleX Well-Known Member MEMBER

Educator
    Ratings:
    +42
    Watermelon may help to quench the inflammation that contributes to conditions like asthma, atherosclerosis, diabetes, colon cancer, and asthma.

It is rich in vitamins C and A, notably through its concentration of beta-carotine. PINK watermelon is a source of the potent cartenoid antioxidant, lycopene. This can help prevent heart disease because this antioxidant is able to neutralize free radicals. Lycopene has been extensively studied for its antioxidant and cancer-preventing properties.

Watermelon is in the same food "family" as cantaloupe, squash and pumpkin, which also are rich in beta-carotine.

3. backtoafrica

backtoafrica Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +1
    So much for the stereotypes about blacks and watermelon when watermelon is really helpful. As for me I really don't like it that much though.

4. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,680
    Brother KWABENA ... there's some information shared about watermelon in this thread ... Slave Food Menu.

I love watermelon ... mmmmm yum yum ... :)

:heart:

Destee

5. KWABENA

KWABENA STAFF STAFF

United States
    Leader-Student-Teacher
    Ratings:
    +367
    As I approach my 21st 'Earth-Day' tomorrow, I plan to spend my Whole 21st year eating absolute Wholesome foods. If there is ANYTHING that is important to that diet, it would be WATER-MELON.

I have been eating it very frequently as of late. I am feeling just as good and well-focused, well in-shape as I was when I drunk Water extensively, in a day's/week's time. The [pink] flesh within the fruit decreases being tempted eat more than I should, then the Water contributes to of couse "queching my thirst."

However, do not think that I am only eating Watermelon and that only. I also have Cantalope, Honeydews, and I am hoping the Grapes are not unsafe for consumption. Meanwhile, I am 'lovin' ma' melon,' (Smile) and seek to learn more about it.

KD

6. OmowaleX

Educator
    Ratings:
    +42
    Happy Earth Day brother (mine is the 4th).

I ate some poison earlier today and broke out in a rash. My blood sugar has been the highest the last three days than ever before. Felt like I was gonna die.

As a result guess what I just had for dinner. Watermelon, cantaloupe and honeydew.

I think I will be doing the same for the next week. Detoxing, just eating fruit, especially melon. For a diabetic, the melon also helps to fight dehydration and I am finding it a better cure than having to take aspirin (part of what is killing me).

7. KWABENA

KWABENA STAFF STAFF

United States
    Leader-Student-Teacher
    Ratings:
    +367
    I understand Brotha OmoX. Just as I said to you here, http://destee.com/forums/showpost.php?p=456184&postcount=38, I had some "poison" as well. However, I am an adventurist (I take HEAVY advantage of WALKING), so it did not destroy my body as much as it could have. (Also be mindful that when I walk, I can EASILY walk LONG Distances)

I just had some more junk, (hypoGLYcemic snacks), so I am about to get the 'melon' in a minute. Maybe I should turn my 'travel' Slide Shows on my Laptop into Food Consumption/Digestive System Slide Shows...LOL

KD

8. OmowaleX

Educator
    Ratings:
    +42

Hmm...brother Kwabena...you just summed up my main problem.....I stopped walking regularly and really need to get back on track....for real.

9. KWABENA

KWABENA STAFF STAFF

United States
    Leader-Student-Teacher
    Ratings:
    +367
    I have some more Good News!

You don't really have to walk long distances for long periods of time or anything like that; I would say at least 30-45 minutes of your time a day walking would do. I read somewhere (or was it my Spirit) where it said walking after every meal (especially large meals) decreases the risk of facing nearly every problem likely to occur when it comes to food consumption. Now this is great - especially considering the fact that [fitness] walking ALONE increases life-span!

KD

BTW - Thanks for the Happy Earth-Day!