Black People : Water woes in Detroit ... water bill not paid => service suspended => human rights violation?

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by dunwiddat, Jun 28, 2014.

1. dunwiddat

dunwiddat Well-Known Member MEMBER

Barbados
    Ratings:
    +1,503
    Groups Seek UN Help to Restore Detroit Water Service ...

Read this article about the water problem in Detroit. Do hope that something will be done. Not having water running is terrible.. I would rather my phone off than my water.

[​IMG] This lady has to use bottle water to wash dishes...this can be very tedious indeed.

I checked my water bill this month (this is for two months) and it is 70 Barbados dollars...roughly 35USD...I should count myself grateful.:)
    There are other problems linked to this water problem and it seems to be getting worse.

2. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,684
    Thanks Sister for starting this thread ... i saw the story too ... and am wondering ... should water be free?

Is it a human rights privilege ... that someone should always make sure everyone has water?

Who is the "someone" and how do they pay for it?

It's an interesting set of circumstances ... water bill not paid ==> service suspended ==> human rights violation.

Looking forward to the discussion!

Love You!

:heart:

Destee

3. Michael Smith

Michael Smith Well-Known Member MEMBER

Advertisment
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +87
    Peace... The fact that we evolved from the Earth... entitles any human being the right to Food (which includes water) Shelter and Clothing... All of which comes from the Earth as well... Now... What we are seeing evolve here... are "Efforts to Control"... Just as we are lead to believe... the wars in the Middle East and Africa's invasions are about Oil and Gold... Sorry to inform you ... But "WE" are under Attack... and the weapon is WATER... OR THE LACK OF IT...Peace

4. Kadijah

Kadijah Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +2,952
    The article also says that once the shut-off notices were sent, 1/2 of those delinquent paid up. :10500:

5. Kemetstry

Kemetstry going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Chemist
    Ratings:
    +6,135
    The problem is, they aren't going after the big corporate cheaters like Quicken Loans, Little Caesar's, or GM.

6. Deacs

Deacs Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +567
    You don't pay your bill, you don't gain the service. This case it happens to be water...

What's the issue here? The money which that woman paid for bottle water to cook and bathe in should have went towards the bill.

7. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,745
    this is the hell you get when you let republican devils win elections.......

8. dunwiddat

dunwiddat Well-Known Member MEMBER

Barbados
    Ratings:
    +1,503
    Even here folks will neglect to pay their water, but when it come to the electricity bill they will make sure they pay it.. since they don't want to be in the dark, or without their tv. People have this idea that they can withhold payment from government agencies BUTwill pay the private enterprise who own the electricty company. I am sure they are folks who buy an expensive cell phone but would renege on paying their water bill. If you fail to pay the first month, it is only obvious that the second month will be twice the amount. Water is a human right but folks must understand that refusal to pay a bill is immoral.

9. Kadijah

Kadijah Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +2,952
    Dag, Dunwiddat! I was all prepared to hit that "like! like! like!" :great: button, and then you wrote this:

No, it's not! :lol:

10. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,745
    how are you sure of that? because you are sure that black people are bad? have you ever known poverty? i have.