Black Christians : (Watch Night) Night Watch Services...True or False? ... Happy New Year Framily

In the Spirit of Sankofa and Real Truth!

I think it is going to be hard to prove the true origin of Watch Night services. Its too far removed from the present and there isn't anyone alive to corroborate the story. And you know white people didn't bother to write this down for us. Sort of like Juneteenth.

Juneteenth...June 19th, is a fine example.

Last edited:
Freedom's Eve. amazing...

African American History
Why do African Americans celebrate “Night Watch Service?”
Knowledge is power, sometimes we get distracted on tradition without knowing the true meaning.

Not quite true...

http://www.snopes.com/holidays/newyears/watchnight.asp

FREEDOM'S EVE. Amazing and interesting!

Wow! I never realized it went back to this 'supposed' tradition of 'Slavery times' and/or 'emancipation times'.

I am also amazed at 'Snopes' rendition of the tradition too.

And just as Sister Cherryblossom put, I still think it is a great event no matter what the origin of it. I now though, because of this article, HAVE MUCH MORE APPRECIATION FOR IT. :)

In the past, I just did not have any interest in it and always preferred to stay at home when my older family relatives would go to church and attend. But now, this article has made me LINK SOME HISTORY that i strongly believe goes back much farther than even 'Snopes' has done.

In my opinion, THIS VERY WATCH NIGHT SERVICES CORRELATES DIRECTLY TO THE BIBLE ACCOUNT OF THE EXODUS!!!

My first thoughts too, when i read the first account was that my older relatives told me that AMERICA DID NOT OBSERVE CHRISTMAS ON DECEMBER 31st. They said christmas was observed in January 6 and this was done way after EMANCIPATION TIMES. So I agree with Snopes that even though Abraham Lincoln had the letter read prior to January 1862, many slaves were not actually freed until later anyway. Therefore, there seems to be a flaw in the FREEDOM'S EVE tradition being on that New Years Eve night.

When I read Snopes rendition of MORAVIAN ORIGINS, I immediately saw a flaw in this story too. Credit was given to 'present day Czech Republic' and John Wesley. And this too is a great MIS-EDUCATION.

I agree that those people probably did practice their Methodist WATCH NIGHT services [their Covenant Renewal Services] once a month and every full moon but, what is left out is that this is ORDAINED FROM THE BIBLE!

It is redundant, in regards to the Hebrew Israelites, in that they worshiped the Almighty God every new moon [month] with sacrifices. This began at the time of the EXODUS when they had to be COMPLETELY DRESSED and they had to eat their PASS OVER meal by MIDNIGHT! so after the Death Angel passed, the pharaoh came riding his chariot into Goshen and told Moses and Aaron to get out of Egypt. the Bible states that more than [at least] a half million people left...they were already dressed, packed and ready to go...WATCH NIGHT...

In addition; the Moravians were none other than BLACK...just like their very name should reveal MOORS [MOR-AVIAN; AVIAN OR FLIGHT]. They were Black people of EAST EUROPE and many of them were already there before the CZECH REPUBLIC people came.

People like John Wesley and JOHN HUSS came and did a lot of great things during a terrible time in Europe Middle Ages. They are the foundation of the Protestant Movements along with Martin Luther and etc. But, their history though, is stratigically used to cover up the Black History in Europe.

This article reveals to me too, that the very WATCH NIGHT services started here in USA and practiced by African Americans stems from the Bible days and the very Biblical account of the EXODUS.

Thank you for this great article Bro. Clyde!

wow

It's been 145 years since that first Freedom's Eve and many of us were never taught the African American history of the Watch Night Service, but tradition still brings us together at this time every year to celebrate "how we got over."

wow

funny choice of words, how we got over

as Hiphop

we strive to be
the best we can be
not to just get over

In the Spirit of Sankofa and Real Truth!

Freedom's Eve. amazing...

FREEDOM'S EVE. Amazing and interesting!

Wow! I never realized it went back to this 'supposed' tradition of 'Slavery times' and/or 'emancipation times'.

I am also amazed at 'Snopes' rendition of the tradition too.

And just as Sister Cherryblossom put, I still think it is a great event no matter what the origin of it. I now though, because of this article, HAVE MUCH MORE APPRECIATION FOR IT. :)

In the past, I just did not have any interest in it and always preferred to stay at home when my older family relatives would go to church and attend. But now, this article has made me LINK SOME HISTORY that i strongly believe goes back much farther than even 'Snopes' has done.

In my opinion, THIS VERY WATCH NIGHT SERVICES CORRELATES DIRECTLY TO THE BIBLE ACCOUNT OF THE EXODUS!!!

My first thoughts too, when i read the first account was that my older relatives told me that AMERICA DID NOT OBSERVE CHRISTMAS ON DECEMBER 31st. They said christmas was observed in January 6 and this was done way after EMANCIPATION TIMES. So I agree with Snopes that even though Abraham Lincoln had the letter read prior to January 1862, many slaves were not actually freed until later anyway. Therefore, there seems to be a flaw in the FREEDOM'S EVE tradition being on that New Years Eve night.

When I read Snopes rendition of MORAVIAN ORIGINS, I immediately saw a flaw in this story too. Credit was given to 'present day Czech Republic' and John Wesley. And this too is a great MIS-EDUCATION.

I agree that those people probably did practice their Methodist WATCH NIGHT services [their Covenant Renewal Services] once a month and every full moon but, what is left out is that this is ORDAINED FROM THE BIBLE!

It is redundant, in regards to the Hebrew Israelites, in that they worshiped the Almighty God every new moon [month] with sacrifices. This began at the time of the EXODUS when they had to be COMPLETELY DRESSED and they had to eat their PASS OVER meal by MIDNIGHT! so after the Death Angel passed, the pharaoh came riding his chariot into Goshen and told Moses and Aaron to get out of Egypt. the Bible states that more than [at least] a half million people left...they were already dressed, packed and ready to go...WATCH NIGHT...

In addition; the Moravians were none other than BLACK...just like their very name should reveal MOORS [MOR-AVIAN; AVIAN OR FLIGHT]. They were Black people of EAST EUROPE and many of them were already there before the CZECH REPUBLIC people came.

People like John Wesley and JOHN HUSS came and did a lot of great things during a terrible time in Europe Middle Ages. They are the foundation of the Protestant Movements along with Martin Luther and etc. But, their history though, is stratigically used to cover up the Black History in Europe.

This article reveals to me too, that the very WATCH NIGHT services started here in USA and practiced by African Americans stems from the Bible days and the very Biblical account of the EXODUS.

Thank you for this great article Bro. Clyde!

I agree Chevron and you are welcome, very much; Night Watch or Watch Night is very symbolic of the Passover, for sure.

Last edited: