Black People : Wasted food

MsInterpret

REGISTERED MEMBER
Apr 21, 2007
Right now I'm over at my parent's house helping my mother clean out her cabinets...

First I will say this...I am very thankful that my parent's have the means to buy an abundance of food for their household...

However, with the abundance of food and being there are only 2-3 people in the house to feed (especially when I come over to eat) there is a lot of food going to waste and becoming expired.

I despise throwing away food that could have been eaten, knowing people are starving else where...

My mom used to say things me when I was a kid, like, "You're just going to throw that away? You know there are starving kids out there."

So I put that to my mind...I never buy more than I need and if I can and know I can't eat it I invite some friends over to finish whatever I have off...

And I understand for my parents, especially my mom...she goes out grocery shopping and buys whatever she thinks the house will need so she won't have to make continuous stops to the grocery store every day to make dinner.

But what is a family to do when they are in this predicament? :10500:

Buy some Tupperware, aluminum foil, and plastic wrap and freeze it. Frozen leftovers can remain good anywhere between 6 months to a year.

Ya know what is so funny...they do it and they don't ever eat it again...

My family is not a leftover food eaters...

My mom will put in the frig and the only time it gets eaten is if it's holiday leftovers...but all of it goes to waste

No canned stuff but dehydrated and dry things

Most organic grains;
rice, brown rice, millet, bulgar wheat,
barley
scotch oats

all peas and beans,
split peas,
almonds in vacu sealed bags,

Oriental markets have;

dried greens , daikon, mushrooms and sea vegetables,
shrimp, small fish and scallops that can last for years

most big name, food co-ops sell dehydrated fruits, and
dehydrated vegies
and
also TVP a soy portein that comes in meat flavors

militay K rations now called MREs are sold on line, that last a long time, some years.

Health food stores, have dry powdered vegetable and fruit nutrition, in cans, that lasts for years, called
green stuff and red stuff, that can e made into beverages providing the basic requiremet of nutrients and phytonutrients

My family is not a leftover food eaters...

Are there any homeless people that you see on the street sometimes? Or maybe a shelter in your neighborhood? Maybe you could wrap up the food and give it to them. It's a little bit of an effort, but if throwing away good food really bothers you, then that may be a solution.

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back