Beauty - Hair Care - Fashion : Washing Your Hair With Conditioner - No Shampoo

Discussion in 'Beauty - Black Hair Care - Fashion' started by Destee, Sep 1, 2009.

1. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,684
    Peace and Blessings Family,

I just wanted to share that I've been using only conditioner, when washing my hair, no shampoo / soap.

I got this idea from Sister Bootzey. It's posted here somewhere on the forum.

The reason I started doing it, was because washing my hair is such a chore, that removing a step was very attractive to me.

I've not noticed any negative (or positive) impact on my hair, directly related to this, but I'm loving that it takes less time to do!

Thanks Sister Bootzey!

:heart:

Destee

2. pinkfighter

pinkfighter Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +1
    but conditioner doesn't clean you hair, just moisturizes it. Wouldn't you have to at least wash it once a while with shampoo? I wash my hair with shampoo like once a week with the avoidance of washing my hair in between the days i use shampoo. Sometimes I end up washing my hair like 4 times a week :( not a good idea, but honestly it's so much easier to brush out my tangles.

3. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,684
    Sister Pinkfighter ... I think water alone does a fine job cleaning my hair. As I said above, so far I've not had any negative results from doing this, but if my hair starts stinking or something, I'll adjust.

Thanks for sharing.

:heart:

Destee

4. Bootzey

Bootzey Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Don't Ask
    Ratings:
    +862

You are very welcome Sister D! That is what this forum is for to share what works for us with each other.

Conditioner actually has sudsing agent in it that will cleanse the hair. If you use large amounts of the inexpensive stuff you will notice the suds. The practice has been named "NO POO-ing". Before my locs it was the how I washed my hair. And if I every felt like I wanted it cleaner than conditioner left it, I'd use straight vinager.

Peace

5. Mikha'el

Mikha'el Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Student
    Ratings:
    +246
    even though im not a woman i don't wash let alone use any products in my hair that contain chemicals n so forth....i use shea butter n thats it ive went 4 months @ one point in time without shampooing n recieved no complains of foul smelling hair

6. Cthismetalheart

Cthismetalheart Active Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +14
    Conditioner works well in my hair, but there are sometimes when I have to use a shampoo that has no chemicals for my hair since I have locks. It also depends on the type of conditioner because certain ones have some reside that I don't really like.